British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   auh applying for uk passport renewal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/auh-applying-uk-passport-renewal-684430/)

Brains1983 Sep 7th 2010 1:48 pm

auh applying for uk passport renewal

Anyone done it yet?

busybee2 Sep 7th 2010 3:47 pm

Re: auh applying for uk passport renewal

nope

Tockalosh Sep 7th 2010 4:25 pm

Didnt want to risk it so got mine renewed in UK whilst in leave. Back in 3 days via post office.

flares Sep 7th 2010 6:07 pm

yeah. new rules just come into force

fill in the forms and DHL it to Germany - instructions on embassy website - follow them to the letter. Special DHL rate of 100dhs but you need to visit DHL offices.

hnd Sep 7th 2010 9:39 pm

Here's the site:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659982

mission Sep 13th 2010 8:03 pm

yep i renewed mine last Feb...very easy process...got my new 10 yr passport within 10 working days.

just remember you are not allowed to smile/show your teeth in your photo :frown:

busybee2 Sep 14th 2010 5:36 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 8845685)
yep i renewed mine last Feb...very easy process...got my new 10 yr passport within 10 working days.

just remember you are not allowed to smile/show your teeth in your photo :frown:

yeh but thats not using the new system that came in august! still cant smile tho:rofl:

Brains1983 Oct 6th 2010 3:59 pm

downloaded these forms. bit pricey but hey I guess that's what you get for not staying in the UK.

One question, it asks about getting "a professional" that has known you for 2 years to sign the photo and to countersign the application.

wtf, I have only been here since February,the only person I know out here for longer than 2 years is one of my former managers in Dubai. However, he has no formal title/profession? I haven't tried calling the embassy yet, as there is only a 32second window in the morning that they are open, just wondered if anyone knew what other options there are (other than sending my application back to the UK?)

----------------
Edit. I have guests coming out in October and November. If I was to send a partially completed form and photos back with them and got a previous doctor to sign the form, have the passport sent back to my parents address, do you reckon they would let my folks sign for it? saves paying €169 ******* euros aswell.

Oyibopeppeh Oct 6th 2010 4:12 pm

I renewed my passport in January this year at the British Embassy in Tripoli. For the photo declaration, I just asked my tosser boss (who I met just 6 months previously) to make the declaration and there wasn't any problem.

Millhouse Oct 7th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 8899905)
downloaded these forms. bit pricey but hey I guess that's what you get for not staying in the UK.

One question, it asks about getting "a professional" that has known you for 2 years to sign the photo and to countersign the application.

you find a friendly professional willing to sign it for you... it's doesn't have to be a doctor, an accountant will do.

Brains1983 Dec 6th 2010 10:10 am

Couriered application 28th November, shiny new passport arrived back today. Other than the 173 EUR + 100 AED courier fee, can't complain with the service.

Bahtatboy Dec 6th 2010 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9023830)
Couriered application 28th November, shiny new passport arrived back today. Other than the 173 EUR + 100 AED courier fee, can't complain with the service.

173 EUR? **** me. How much in UK?

Millhouse Dec 6th 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9024163)
173 EUR? **** me. How much in UK?

150quid I guess

Blue Cat Dec 6th 2010 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 9024263)
150quid I guess

expat tax?

jebelaligardener Dec 7th 2010 5:03 pm

Submitted mine to Germany thru DHL on 24th November and got a call today that it is being delivered tomorrow.

If only they could do something about the passport photo. Realised last minute that the photo had to be taken within the last month so my best passport photo (from about ten years ago) wouldnt do.