Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Attitudes to East Asian women

Attitudes to East Asian women

Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:39 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attitudes to East Asian women

Ey up all,

A couple of questions. I'll be heading to Dubai in September to set up home with my fiancee. She's Korean though, and I'm a bit worried about some of the -isms she might find there.

How are Koreans, and the women particularly, regarded in the Gulf?
Is it true there's a job shortage in the IT sector in the UAE, or is it overwhelmed with subcontinent workers? (I've heard both said. She's a programmer by trade)
Do any Korean tech firms have a foothold in Dubai? Thinking about somewhere her language skills might be more appreciated.

And, since I don't get a housing allowance, is there anywhere near the DIFC we can enjoy proper apartment living without spending a fortune? How I miss Singapore...

Ta.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:10 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attitudes to East Asian women

Welcome to BE...

Korean...I really don't know, but I guess she might be 'mistaken' for a Philipina girl. Is that a bad thing...again, hard to tell, without going into stereo typing...
What is happening is that people from certain countries will get paid less doing the same kind of work that is being done by people from other countries. Not sure how Korea will be perceived.
Well, that's not a lot of info, lol...hopefully the others know more.

Rents are skyhigh....not having that covered in your package is not good at all.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Is it true there's a job shortage in the IT sector in the UAE, or is it overwhelmed with subcontinent workers? .
There's a little, but then depends how senior or what niche skills you've got.

Have a search through the other various threads on living expenses and packages to get an idea...and welcome to BE
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:24 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the answers so far. I understand that Korea is one of Dubai's biggest trading partners (possibly thanks to construction?) but finding info isn't easy.

Hopefully she won't be seen in 'that' way... it'd be very hard on both of us if she got that a lot. It'll also be hard if she's sitting around the apartment all day!

My base isn't bad so I'm not having nightmares about housing, especially if she's working too. But I guess under 10k for more than a bedsit isn't easy? I'd be paying less than that in London Zone 1

I am comfortable with my package - the base isn't spectacular but I certainly won't be badly off. Thanks for the welcome!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:36 pm
W10

Most people can't tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Phillipino, Malay, Thai...

Asians in general get stereotyped here. You will notice it but don't let it bother you, and people may speak to you differently until they realise you are not philippino. At this point I usually start to ask them why they changed their attitude...and get into a lengthy debate about why the filthy, stinking, 3rd world, lazy ass, woman hating arabs always want to judge people by their ethnicity.

There is a decent sized Korean community here though, largely through trading, cars and construction (Samsung or Hyundai building the Burj Dubai, Sangweon doing some big development, Hyundai cars sell well, plus LG has a big presence)

Last edited by W10; Jun 11th 2007 at 8:40 pm.

Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:38 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

Just to clarify, I'm a Brit (hence posting here...) and she's Korean. Don't know if that would cause problems... (it occasionally did in Korea). I don't doubt she'll be judged in one way or another, but I don't want her to feel unsafe going outside!

Thanks for the company tips - LG might be a good start.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

One of my best friends here was Indonesian, and she had no problems living here at all...

MM, xx
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:32 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
At this point I usually start to ask them why they changed their attitude...and get into a lengthy debate about why the filthy, stinking, 3rd world, lazy ass, woman hating arabs always want to judge people by their ethnicity.
I love the smell of irony in the morning.

Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
I love the smell of irony in the morning.

oh...I thought he was being serious...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MataHari
GOOD Morning Every ONE
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:37 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by SAMS
GOOD Morning Every ONE
lol...there you are...a bit early today
Old Jun 12th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

SAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud ofSAMS has much to be proud of

lol...there you are...a bit early today
Early to bed ......Early to rise
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:00 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Just to clarify, I'm a Brit (hence posting here...) and she's Korean. Don't know if that would cause problems... (it occasionally did in Korea). I don't doubt she'll be judged in one way or another, but I don't want her to feel unsafe going outside!

Thanks for the company tips - LG might be a good start.
To be honest she may encounter some problems at first but as you say she has encounted some before. In the way of the odd comment or mistaken for a maid....my friend who was indonesian had this herself and just handled it all in her stride. I am sure she will soon make friends and dont worry it wont be a case of she cant walk the streets safely here. There are pleanty of lovely people out here for her to make friends with.

My friends husband worried more about her than she actually did herself.
If she is happy to come bring her over...and s@d the rest...
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:04 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

He might have been. Either way, I found it quite ironic.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 6:12 am
W10

But not in the Alanis Morrisette sense (which is not irony)

To further clarify. The good lady wife will find it safe to walk the streets at night but may get unwanted attention (or harrassment) if she is walking alone. It's just part of living in the UAE for any female. It just happens to be a bit worse if you are south east Asian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.