British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Attestation of marriage certificate help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/attestation-marriage-certificate-help-672855/)

meonline Jun 17th 2010 1:59 pm

Attestation of marriage certificate help

My wife and daughter will be joining me here in Dubai soon. Their visas will be arranged by the company but as per the rules (DIFC), I have to get the marriage certificate attested. Is this to be done back in the UK or by a Dubai based solicitor? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Millhouse Jun 17th 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Attestation of marriage certificate help

Originally Posted by meonline (Post 8638921)
My wife and daughter will be joining me here in Dubai soon. Their visas will be arranged by the company but as per the rules (DIFC), I have to get the marriage certificate attested. Is this to be done back in the UK or by a Dubai based solicitor? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mine was done here, embassy I think - PRO did it for me.

RubberMan Jun 17th 2010 3:19 pm

I did mine before I left the UK. I used a UK notary public who worked for a firm of solicitors. They took all my documents, authenticated them then used an agent to get the document attested by the UK Foreign Office and the UAE. This was all done in about 2 weeks and was pretty pain free and it did not cost much more than trawling around doing it yourself, in fact as I lived in the north east it was cheaper than trains and hotels for a 2 day trip to Milton Keynes and London.

Dont know if you can get it done in the UAE because I thought the Foreign Office had to stamp it first?

Sorry if I have only added confusion but I would say, if your wife is in the UK and you can get it done there it might be easier / more reliable than here IMHO.

:thumbup:

lisalou24 Jun 17th 2010 5:33 pm

Not sure if you can get in done in Dubai anymore, think I heard someone said it had changed recently?! Don't quote me on that. However, I have to get mine done next week before we fly out.

A trip to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes - Walk In no appointments needed, £30 per cert

Then a trip to the UAE Embassy in London. £30 per cert

So if you wife is in the UK I would get her to quickly pop down, unless you are like in Scotland or nortern england and by the time you calculate travel costs its not worth it?!

You can get companies to do it. But think its like £150 per cert, the more you have done the cheaper it is.

I need 3 done: 1x marriage & 2x kids birth certs. So if you haven't got your daughters birth cert attested yet either this can be done at the same time as your marriage cert.

Good luck :thumbsup:

RubberMan Jun 17th 2010 7:44 pm

Check out the opening times. When I looked into it Milton Keynes opened at something like 9.30am and the UAE Embassy closed at 1pm making it a tight call to get from one to the other in a day.

Good luck with it.

meonline Jun 20th 2010 4:17 am

Thanks for all your answers.

johnbuoy Jun 20th 2010 5:28 am

Originally Posted by meonline (Post 8643910)
Thanks for all your answers.

Take it to a solicitor in the UK and they will charge you a nominal fee you can then post it to the UAE Embassy with a Postal Order and they will do same day notorisation for a small fee, all the details can be found on the FCO web site.

johnbuoy Jun 20th 2010 5:30 am

Originally Posted by RubberMan (Post 8639554)
Check out the opening times. When I looked into it Milton Keynes opened at something like 9.30am and the UAE Embassy closed at 1pm making it a tight call to get from one to the other in a day.

Good luck with it.

Smack on, I tried and failed, did Milton Keynes to Outer London in 30 mins only to take 60 mins getting to the Embassy and they wouldn't even let me drop off the certificates to be attested so I posted them

lisalou24 Jun 20th 2010 5:25 pm

Ok quick question (again!) :blink:

Am I getting ORIGINAL certificates attested/stamped by the FCO and UAE Embassy? Is this ok - I presume I will get the originals back after kids visas processed?

I DONT need to get a solicitor/notary involved do I?

I'm hearing conflicting things and getting stressed/confused lol :confused:

Also, am I right thinking I go to FCO office in MK first, then the UAE Embassy in London? Of course, I will be doing this on different days, as wotn be able to make it in time to get to London before 12pm.

FCO opening hours 09.30-15:30
UAE Embassy opening hours 09:30 -12:00 - collection at 14:30 on sae day service.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Millsyisland Jun 21st 2010 3:55 am

I had to get my marriage certificate attested here in Abu Dhabi (not Dubai) last year following the birth of my child.

Was a relatively pain-free experience - went to the British Embassy here in Abu Dhabi for them to copy the original certificate and stamp it to confirm that it is a true copy of the original (a couple of hundred dirhams).

Then went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (near Carrefour, Airport Road) - handed them the certified copy and some cash (100 dirhams or so I think), then went back the next day and collected the attested certificate.

Bit of a bun fight at the Ministry with it being a little unclear as to where exactly to go (helpful signs just in Arabic) but overall just your typical UAE experience.