Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Attestation of Degree

Attestation of Degree

Old May 21st 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

shainy2411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Attestation of Degree

I have read the previous thread and the Wiki post about getting my degree attested and when I went on the FCO website it says that the Milton Keynes office is now closed and only taking postal applications. I move out to the Abu Dhabi soon and would rather get all my attestations done personally to make sure its on time. Other than the Milton Keynes office is there anywhere else that could attest my certificates?

Complete newbie to the whole situation so any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 22nd 2011, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Attestation of Degree

Hi.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I need to clarify your use of terminology, so I can try to help you better.

Attestation - this is done by a solicitor, one who is a Notary Public. THis confirms that the Certificate is what it claims to be.

Legalisaton - This is done by the FCO. As you point out, for the public, this is done either over the counter or by post at the MK office. Basically, an Apostille Certificate is attached to the back of the original certificate, authenticating the document.

Embassy legalisation - This is done by the relevant Embassy for the country in which you want to work, in this case, the UAE Embassy.This must be done last, as the two other previous steps need to be completed beforehand.

As has been mentioned in other posts - only the FCO can Legalise your document.

Have a read of this thread which may help further.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716726

Apparently, if you post your stuff to the FCO, and include a stamped addressed envelope, the FCO will do their bit and post it onto the relevant EMbassy for you. Worth perhaps giving them a ring?

There is a FCO office in central London, but this tends to be for business users only and I think you have to pre-register with them but they can provide a same day service. The MK office charges £28 per document, whereas the London Office charge £71 !

Good luck.

Last edited by nottmbantam; May 22nd 2011 at 5:30 am.
Old May 22nd 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

There is a solictor next to the FCO in MKwho will notarise your docs and then pop into FCO
Old May 22nd 2011, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UAE_Degree_Creditation

That's the wiki, I've tried adding this info into what was already there. You wouldn't mind double checking it for me to see that I've not ballsed it up?

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Hi.

Sorry to be pedantic, but I need to clarify your use of terminology, so I can try to help you better.

Attestation - this is done by a solicitor, one who is a Notary Public. THis confirms that the Certificate is what it claims to be.

Legalisaton - This is done by the FCO. As you point out, for the public, this is done either over the counter or by post at the MK office. Basically, an Apostille Certificate is attached to the back of the original certificate, authenticating the document.

Embassy legalisation - This is done by the relevant Embassy for the country in which you want to work, in this case, the UAE Embassy.This must be done last, as the two other previous steps need to be completed beforehand.

As has been mentioned in other posts - only the FCO can Legalise your document.

Have a read of this thread which may help further.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716726

Apparently, if you post your stuff to the FCO, and include a stamped addressed envelope, the FCO will do their bit and post it onto the relevant EMbassy for you. Worth perhaps giving them a ring?

There is a FCO office in central London, but this tends to be for business users only and I think you have to pre-register with them but they can provide a same day service. The MK office charges £28 per document, whereas the London Office charge £71 !

Good luck.