Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Attack at Kingdom tower.

Attack at Kingdom tower.

Old May 22nd 2010, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Attack at Kingdom tower.

Following is circulating around at the moment, I don't have any reason to doubt it but cannot verify for sure that it is true:

When: Less than 2 weeks ago.

The ladies were dropped off at the main entrance (not at the bottom of the steps), as the bus left the ramp and the ladies were gathering themselves to go inside, an expensive four wheel drive stopped at the main entrance. A youth hung out of the sun roof of the vehicle and pelted the ladies with rocks (not small stones or pebbles … very large rocks), as they threw the rocks they kept shouting “Get out of Arabia”. At least one of the ladies was hit badly with a great deal of blood streaming from her head and she fell to the floor. Whilst this was happening NOT ONE SINGLE person came to their assistance. The car drove down the ramp with the women shouting for someone to stop them. Unfortunately they escaped, but more because there was no attempt by security to stop the car. The incident did not last much more than about 15 seconds apparently, but enough to throw a large number of rocks.

The lady was on the floor and soaked in blood, and NO Kingdom mall security came to assist and call for a car to take her to hospital and no Police were called. The compound bus had to return to take the lady to hospital for stitches. The only thing that was done by the Mall security was to pick up all the rocks and throw water over the marble floor to clear the blood!

I would add a footnote: that my wife was harassed outside Kingdom about 3 weeks back. So much so, that she had to stop the Police who luckily for her just happened to be passing, whereupon the guy ran like the bloody devil to get away.

So to all of you, take care of your wives and kids, and tell them not to loiter around outside shopping malls and to go directly inside. They can fix their scarves and handbags inside the Mall. Remember there are still some idiots roaming the streets and it seems you cannot rely on Mall Security to come to your aid.
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:08 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Attack at Kingdom tower.

Very worrying, if true.
Old May 22nd 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting!! I must admit i have not heard of this untill now.
Yes it is very worrying.
Which compound bus was this in question.
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mardy is an unknown quantity at this point

I work across the road, and I've heard nothing either (which may mean booger all). Seems odd there is no date on this nor name of compound.

They are VERY picky about letting youths anywhere near the place, for fear of them talking to females (gasp), far less allowing a carload drive up to the main entrance. I walk past groups of young males arguing with Security to get in the place every. single. day.

Is it made up scaremongering, or maybe it dates back a long time? Dunno.
Old May 23rd 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

miuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the roughmiuser2 is a jewel in the rough

Update today:

"Subject: RE: INCIDENT AT KINGDOM MALL

First just to correct something, the lady injured was from Al Hamra, the witness was from Kingdom Compound.

Just a little more information. It is very important to note that this is not an isolated incident over the last 3 weeks. I was asked to provide details as there is currently an investigation into a similar incident. After discussion it would appear that there may be a link.

The incidents happen in the morning, by at least 4 occupants dressed in Thobes in an a white, expensive looking car. There have been other incidents on the ramp at Kingdom Tower, and an incident at Grenada Shopping Mall which is apparently the subject of the Police investigation. I was told that a member of British Embassy security will raise this with security officials at Kingdom Tower today with the possibility of reviewing CCTV tapes.

I was also told that one week prior to this incident, a similar incident happened to another Lady, this time British and again from AlHamra who experienced a similar type incident at Kingdom Tower.

Stay alert and stay safe."
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Again nothing on the expat jungle drums on this one.
If the O.P could spread some more light on this please.
If and i say IF this happened news would be all the the expat jungle drums.
I am not saying for one minute this never happened,
but there is no news is on the streets.
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, can't add anything more, you know as much as I do, keep your pinches of salt at the ready!

Also mentioned here: http://americanbedu.com/2010/05/23/s...h-kingdom-mall

Last edited by miuser2; May 23rd 2010 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 23rd 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Got an email about this saying it was a Kingdom Compound bus and one of the women had to have stitches. Not there now, but OH is and he's heard nothing (not that that means anything tbh

N
Old May 24th 2010, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

If those reports are "circulating around", can we please be told their source? A simple reference to where those reports were published and when, who wrote them, etc, would go a long way towards enabling us to confirm them - or otherwise.
Old May 24th 2010, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Interesting !!!
Nothing from the embassy as a new and updated security warnings.
The plot thickens as they say.
Old May 24th 2010, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

As I said, I don't know any more than this. I suppose a few calls to people in the know at Kingdom or Al Hamra compounds should be enough to comfirm/deny this.

From the comments section on that "American Bedu" blog:

http://americanbedu.com/2010/05/23/s...-kingdom-mall/

Laylah, on May 24, 2010 at 5:00 am Said:

OMG Bedu!!!
A friend of mine was attacked in front of Kingdom mall last week!
She is a western young lady, was waiting for her taxi in front of Kingdom mall (just like the others upstairs not even on the street) and a car full of young saudis stopped and started shouting at her, they got out of the car and started kicking her, she ran down the street to catch a regular taxi, but the guys managed to run after her and the taxi, PULLED her out the taxi and continued to beat her in THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET!!!
Security did nothing, bystanders did nothing, even the taxi driver did nothing!
The incident ended when a saudi man came to the womans rescue and the guys ran away!

I couldnt believe this was true but sadly it is, she is ok alhamdulillah!

but when I read this post it looks like these might be the same guys! And they are actually targeting Kingdom mall entrance.

Shame on the “security guards”!!!!

has there been anything about this on local press?
#
Laylah, on May 24, 2010 at 5:03 am Said:

and for those who dont belive this, I have been attacked by these kind road hooligans as I call them several times, they just go around looking for trouble, wallah this does happen!!

Once they tried to run me and my friend over on Tahlia street, on several occasions they’ve attacked our car, thank god we had locked the doors.
It is very odd that we haven't heard more about this if it is happening regularly, if anyone has (UK) embassy security contacts can they make enquiries?

Last edited by miuser2; May 24th 2010 at 5:00 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 5:32 am
Banned

Vice Lord is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by miuser2
an expensive four wheel drive stopped at the main entrance. A youth hung out of the sun roof of the vehicle and pelted the ladies with rocks (not small stones or pebbles … very large rocks), as they threw the rocks they kept shouting “Get out of Arabia”. At least one of the ladies was hit badly with a great deal of blood streaming from her head and she fell to the floor. Whilst this was happening NOT ONE SINGLE person came to their assistance.
Oh my....Be careful ladies.
Old May 24th 2010, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

Why should we doubt this. Here some experiences we had at our compound in the last 5 weeks.

First thing: When we arrived at our compound the security guards made some comments about me in arabic. Unfortunately we had a passenger in the car who speaks arabic fluently and he translated the comment to us:
"Look, that bitch is not wearing a hijjab"
My husband went ballistic and complained. Because it was late in the evening we didn't get hold of the compound manager, but of his substitute. He called 5 minutes later and told us, that the security guys SWEAR, that they didn't make any comments like that. Of course, when they swear something, all we say is just rubbish. My husband went than the next day to the compound manager to complain again, because we think those guys are more a security risk than providing safety. We were promised, that they would be removed from their duties immediately. 4 days back, one of them was on duty again!

Than about 10 days back some shots were fired, when one of the residents left the compound. This was an 'accident' by the Saudi Guard who was 'cleaning' the machine gun. No official statement from the compound whatsoever.

I am still not sure, whether I will return after summer with the kids.
Old May 24th 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

From another mailing list:

Actually, another episode happened at this same mall 2.5-3 weeks ago with a Western Nurse. She left the mall in her cab and was followed by a group of men in another car. They followed her down King Fahad Rd. and drove them off the road. The cab driver jumped out of the car and ran away and left her alone. The men pulled her out of the car and kicked, hit, and spit on her. Another car drove up and the men left the scene. She was taken to the hospital where she works and I believe was in there for 3 days. This email has circulated around the expat community and compounds here in Riyadh.

Our circle of friends are choosing to shop elsewhere until Kingdom Mall beefs up their security.
Old May 24th 2010, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Alfi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dilmun
Why should we doubt this. Here some experiences we had at our compound in the last 5 weeks.

First thing: When we arrived at our compound the security guards made some comments about me in arabic. Unfortunately we had a passenger in the car who speaks arabic fluently and he translated the comment to us:
"Look, that bitch is not wearing a hijjab"
My husband went ballistic and complained. Because it was late in the evening we didn't get hold of the compound manager, but of his substitute. He called 5 minutes later and told us, that the security guys SWEAR, that they didn't make any comments like that. Of course, when they swear something, all we say is just rubbish. My husband went than the next day to the compound manager to complain again, because we think those guys are more a security risk than providing safety. We were promised, that they would be removed from their duties immediately. 4 days back, one of them was on duty again!

Than about 10 days back some shots were fired, when one of the residents left the compound. This was an 'accident' by the Saudi Guard who was 'cleaning' the machine gun. No official statement from the compound whatsoever.

I am still not sure, whether I will return after summer with the kids.
This is very worrying - which compound is this?

As for the story about Kingdon Mall - I am told that it is true (I heard it second hand) and that it happened in the last couple of weeks. I have also heard first hand of a couple of other incidents of women being verbally abused by youth in 4x4's while waiting outside Kingdom mall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.