British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Atlantis Hotel opening - Fireworks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/atlantis-hotel-opening-fireworks-572109/)

ssuh Nov 9th 2008 12:46 pm

Atlantis Hotel opening - Fireworks

Does anybody have any knowledge what time these are meant to be?

I have a perfect view of the Palm and the Hotel from my apartment so was hoping to have a few friends around to watch....

Someone has suggested midnight - which sounds a tad late? Even the Hotel says it doesn't know (well the chap on the switchboard who couldn't find anybody to answer the question)...

Anybody:confused:

Blue Cat Nov 9th 2008 1:11 pm

Re: Atlantis Hotel opening - Fireworks

not sure of time but if they are after the Kylie thing that she is doing up there then late I would imagine?

Madam Medusa Nov 9th 2008 1:46 pm

we've got a prime table booked outside at koubba...let's hope the fireworks live up to the hype...!!

MM, xx

Blue Cat Nov 9th 2008 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6955680)
we've got a prime table booked outside at koubba...let's hope the fireworks live up to the hype...!!

MM, xx

I am sure they will MM, from what I have heard they have spent millions on them!

MacScot Nov 9th 2008 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by ssuh (Post 6955618)
Does anybody have any knowledge what time these are meant to be?

I have a perfect view of the Palm and the Hotel from my apartment so was hoping to have a few friends around to watch....

Someone has suggested midnight - which sounds a tad late? Even the Hotel says it doesn't know (well the chap on the switchboard who couldn't find anybody to answer the question)...

Anybody:confused:

Are you sure it is tonight ? According to The Times it is next Thursday the 20th:

She should be so lucky! If it was not evident already how much developers in Dubai value the input of a celebrity name, the news that Kylie Minogue is to be paid about $4.4 million (£2.8 million) to officially open the $1.5 billion Atlantis Hotel on November 20 should silence any doubters.

Fireworks should be good they say it will cost $6.6 million and 46 km of the palm will be used !! I think it would have to be after Kylie's private concert.

Madam Medusa Nov 9th 2008 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6955811)
Are you sure it is tonight ? According to The Times it is next Thursday the 20th:

She should be so lucky! If it was not evident already how much developers in Dubai value the input of a celebrity name, the news that Kylie Minogue is to be paid about $4.4 million (£2.8 million) to officially open the $1.5 billion Atlantis Hotel on November 20 should silence any doubters.

Fireworks should be good they say it will cost $6.6 million and 46 km of the palm will be used !! I think it would have to be after Kylie's private concert.

on no, it is on the 20th, hadn't spotted he was meaning this evening...defo not...

MM, xx

MacScot Nov 9th 2008 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6955878)
on no, it is on the 20th, hadn't spotted he was meaning this evening...defo not...

MM, xx

..actually, I think I recall some BE said they had tickets for Kylie...so they should have a start time for her show. If we assume an hour or perhaps two, then the fireworks will follow...as I am sure the punters (Kylie fans) and Kylie will also want to see them.:)

Madam Medusa Nov 9th 2008 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6955891)
..actually, I think I recall some BE said they had tickets for Kylie...so they should have a start time for her show. If we assume an hour or perhaps two, then the fireworks will follow...as I am sure the punters (Kylie fans) and Kylie will also want to see them.:)

the kylie public show is on 21st (at festival city i think?)...this is kylie's private performance at atlantis, so tickets wouldn't have been on sale...

MM, xx

Blue Cat Nov 10th 2008 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6955895)
the kylie public show is on 21st (at festival city i think?)...this is kylie's private performance at atlantis, so tickets wouldn't have been on sale...

MM, xx

guest list only event I am thinking ;)

NorthernLad Nov 10th 2008 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6957470)
guest list only event I am thinking ;)

2000 'elite' guests invited. I'll be slumming it with the pondlife in Barasti.

Blue Cat Nov 10th 2008 3:46 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 6957479)
2000 'elite' guests invited. I'll be slumming it with the pondlife in Barasti.

my invitation must be on it's way :p

ssuh Nov 10th 2008 5:13 am

Yep 20th confirmed :D

Are we any closer to knowing what time the fireworks start?

MataHari Nov 10th 2008 5:21 am

Originally Posted by ssuh (Post 6957639)
Yep 20th confirmed :D

Are we any closer to knowing what time the fireworks start?

does it really matter...just have a nice evening with your friends and the rest will follow...it's not as if things like this happen on time anyway...

ssuh Nov 10th 2008 5:28 am

Good point.......

I'll relax :cool:

W10 Nov 10th 2008 7:46 pm

I was invited, but I turned it down. ;)

Went to a party at Nobu the other week too. What a let down that place was...not a patch on London (and they had the US waiting staff in town too - so at least that was good)