British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Ashghal - Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ashghal-qatar-775645/)

lennon80 Oct 24th 2012 7:33 pm

Ashghal - Qatar

Hi all, new to the forum and have a few questions to ask that some may be able to answer?

I recently attended an interview in the UK for a job offer in Qatar, for Ashghal. I'm 35 and work full time as a Senior Qs/Commercial manager, with 10 years experience, degree etc.

The long and short of it is that i was made an offer on the spot, they told me that I was the best they had seen and wanted me working for them. Big smile on my face i was taken to another office to discuss a package.

They offered me:

QR 11000 Per month
QR 4000 Housing allowance + utilities(Housing provided by company)
QR 990 Fixed overtime payment per month
Flights for me and family, wife and son.
54 days paid holiday a year
Free shipping of goods from UK
Visas for me and family taken care of

After closing my now very dry open mouth, upon this amazing offer i was then told that as a westerner, i had no chance of career progression within Ashghal, and not chance of a pay rise.........EVER!!!!

I spoke to the recruitment agent who got me the interview, told her that i could not possible accept, and that i was told there was not a chance of progression or pay rise.

She has stated that is nonsense, there is career progression and has put a bid in for a senior package on my behalf, i await the result of this package, over the coming week.

My questions are:

This wage is very low, i'm aware of that for someone in my position, but is there the opportunity to move to another company once there?

Does anybody on here work for Ashghal, what is the company like, can you progress, are there pay rises?

What is the standard of Government accommodation?

The packages on offer were senior, 3-6 time what i was offered, so slightly perplexed at my offer.

Also, even if they come back with a substantial offer i now feel cheated, and lied to, i have one person who works for the company telling me one thing, and the recruitment agent telling me another.

Your advice is greatly welcomed

Lennon

Kix Oct 24th 2012 7:49 pm

Re: Ashghal - Qatar

Welcome to the bored.

So, you're 32 and have been offered the following on a first interview basis. (Ignore what the recruitment person says, they lie).

QR 11000 Per month
Not even £2,000
QR 4000 Housing allowance + utilities(Housing provided by company)
In addition to fully expensed housing? If so around £700
QR 990 Fixed overtime payment per month
£150
Flights for me and family, wife and son.
How else are they ging to get you there, is this each year? Business, First, Economy?
54 days paid holiday a year
Note that this will include weekends, example you want to take thursday evening to sunday following week off, then it's 9 days
Free shipping of goods from UK
Peanuts
Visas for me and family taken care of
They don't have a choice, how will you work without a visa, do they expect you to pay for your own?

Mate, it's shit, what about the fact that school fees for your kid start at 30,000 a year? Will they pay that? They should
Health insurance? For the three of you expect 3,500/month.

Don't even consider moving unless they pay you and ABSOLUTE minimum of 20k, pay your 2 bed apartment, your school fees, your health insurance.

Minimum.

lennon80 Oct 24th 2012 8:02 pm

Thank you for the reply.

This is seriously crap :thumbdown:, I am aware of that. I will not consider the move for less than QR 45K, + package.

To be honest, that fact that I cannot get a straight answer from anyone I’m dealing with is telling me a lot. Probably better to stay in my well paid comfortable job here for now, and apply for other position as they arise.

I will not put my wife and son at risk for any less. I have a friend who has recently moved out to Qatar, to work on highway and infrastructure projects as a senior QS, he has QR60k per month + very good package!

That is what I should have been offered, just hoping they come back realising they have made an error.

The chap I was dealing with was from Qatar, and i have the feeling he doesn't want any westerners out there?

Lennon

OleJanx Oct 24th 2012 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by lennon80 (Post 10348185)
Thank you for the reply.

This is seriously crap :thumbdown:, I am aware of that. I will not consider the move for less than QR 45K, + package.

To be honest, that fact that I cannot get a straight answer from anyone I’m dealing with is telling me a lot. Probably better to stay in my well paid comfortable job here for now, and apply for other position as they arise.

I will not put my wife and son at risk for any less. I have a friend who has recently moved out to Qatar, to work on highway and infrastructure projects as a senior QS, he has QR60k per month + very good package!

That is what I should have been offered, just hoping they come back realising they have made an error.

The chap I was dealing with was from Qatar, and i have the feeling he doesn't want any westerners out there?

Lennon

I'm sorry, but that , in 30 years of bouncing around the Gulf, is insulting! Tell them to take the direct route to hell!
I'm appalled that they wasted your time on such a shit offer.

Kix Oct 24th 2012 8:17 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Lennon

So you want to only move for £10,000/month tax free? Wow, you must be the best paid QS in UK out there.

lennon80 Oct 24th 2012 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10348199)
I'm sorry, but that , in 30 years of bouncing around the Gulf, is insulting! Tell them to take the direct route to hell!
I'm appalled that they wasted your time on such a shit offer.

You and me both my friend. It cost me more to drive up North and stay in the Marriot for the evening prior to the interview.

I still cannot get my head around it, but as I have stated, the chap who dealt with me after the interview (different person) seemed hell bent on telling me that westerners had no place in Qatar?

Lennon

lennon80 Oct 24th 2012 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10348210)
So you want to only move for £10,000/month tax free? Wow, you must be the best paid QS in UK out there.

I get paid £6000 per month, so getting £10000 out in Qatar is not unreasonable, i have friends on that money.

Besides, i have not stated i will only move for £10000 QR60k, but minimum of QR45K.

Lennon

Kix Oct 24th 2012 8:32 pm

Unfortunately racists exist everywhere.

Was he really Qatari? Most Qataris I meet prefer and respect westerners more than our asian friends.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 24th 2012 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by lennon80 (Post 10348231)
I get paid £6000 per month, so getting £10000 out in Qatar is not unreasonable, i have friends on that money.

Besides, i have not stated i will only move for £10000 QR60k, but minimum of QR45K.

Lennon

What is your UK gross salary annually?

Any other allowances; car, pension, bonus even,?

How much is your mortgage?

How many years POST GRADUATE experience do you have?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 24th 2012 9:59 pm

I will not consider the move for less than QR 45K,

I have a friend who has recently moved out to Qatar, to work on highway and infrastructure projects as a senior QS, he has QR60k per month + very good package!

Lennon

1. Where did you get 45k from?
2. Your friend is telling you lies. If you don't believe me, scan his latest pays lip and post it here.
3. You say you want 45k but then say you should have been offered 60k.

I suggest you have been told by idiots that people will pay 60k+ a month when really they are earning 45-50.

Qataruser Oct 24th 2012 10:48 pm

Missing one point here.

Ashgal??? Really?? The company that is supposed to be in charge of infrastructure and took 6 years to finish one road.

I wouldn't work for them for 45K either.

One thing is true pay-rises out here are few and far between. It was OK for the locals to get 60% recently but I know people who have not had pay-rises in over 4 years so that's normal.

The attitude is people come and go so why would we pay more to keep you. Completely missing the point that experience also walks out the door, it does explain why Qatar is in such a shambolic state though.

Many people come on here asking is their package good?

There should be a sticky on here that asks:

Does it pay above 25K a month
Does it include FULL SCHOOL FEES
Does it include housing that is a MINIMUM of 12-14K
Does it include ALLIANZ medical
Does it include 2x flights home per year for my family

If the answer to the ANY of the above in NO then don't EVEN think about it.

Only if the answer is yes to all of the above can you then proceed to stage 2 which is asking if the schools are good (answer no) will my wife like it (answer no) and all the rest of the usual ex-pat questions.

OH there IS a sticky !!!!

lennon80 Oct 25th 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10348357)
1. Where did you get 45k from?
2. Your friend is telling you lies. If you don't believe me, scan his latest pays lip and post it here.
3. You say you want 45k but then say you should have been offered 60k.

I suggest you have been told by idiots that people will pay 60k+ a month when really they are earning 45-50.

Are you some kind of joker? This is the money currently be advertised by agencies in the UK, and i have seen with my own eyes other peoples, including my friends contract offer.

Do your own research before talking bollocks you complete knob. If you’re a senior in your role, (and not a boy like yourself), then there is serious money to be earned, even now.

By the way my mortgage and other benefits are not your business. Do you not have the intelligence to figure out my salary from my stated wage, what are you, a cleaner?

Lennon

britexpat76 Oct 25th 2012 8:07 am

Originally Posted by lennon80 (Post 10348223)
You and me both my friend. It cost me more to drive up North and stay in the Marriot for the evening prior to the interview.

I still cannot get my head around it, but as I have stated, the chap who dealt with me after the interview (different person) seemed hell bent on telling me that westerners had no place in Qatar?

Lennon

What position was you Interviewed for before they took the piss? That Salary is for a standard bean counter from the Phillipines.

Ignore the prick you spoke to afterwards, he probably got blown out by every English bird in every bar the night before.........

co durham boy Oct 25th 2012 9:48 am

Originally Posted by lennon80 (Post 10348803)
Are you some kind of joker? This is the money currently be advertised by agencies in the UK, and i have seen with my own eyes other peoples, including my friends contract offer.

Do your own research before talking bollocks you complete knob. If you’re a senior in your role, (and not a boy like yourself), then there is serious money to be earned, even now.

By the way my mortgage and other benefits are not your business. Do you not have the intelligence to figure out my salary from my stated wage, what are you, a cleaner?

Lennon

He's not a joker actually he's a recruitment consultant based in Dubai and he places guys everyday around the Gulf and he actually does know what he's talking about , he does it for a living .

You're the one asking for advice here and like many others that post here you don't want to take it if it doesn't suit.

Like i've told may others on here regarding the industry here in Qatar is that the high end 10,000 a month salaries are bollocks mate , they're the exception and not the norm .

Back to your original point though . Ashghal are a shower and the deal stinks to high heaven....

Maybe it's good enough for a cleaner....?

lennon80 Oct 25th 2012 9:48 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10348820)
What position was you Interviewed for before they took the piss? That Salary is for a standard bean counter from the Phillipines.

Ignore the prick you spoke to afterwards, he probably got blown out by every English bird in every bar the night before.........

Senior QS with 10 years post graduate, working on major highway and infrastructure projects.

My only thought is that the chap from HR a Qatari, was doing his utmost to put me off the job, not sure why, but he was far from positive about everything regarding the job?

Lennon