Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

article on rent situation in Abu Dhabi

article on rent situation in Abu Dhabi

Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

niddy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation article on rent situation in Abu Dhabi

shows you how absurd the situation is getting: http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...0&profile=1010

This is an interactive feature of whats been going on: http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...410037963/1010

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

smileymiley1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: article on rent situation in Abu Dhabi

Cheers for this really helpful....i am about to turn down a job offer for a big recruitment firm in AD who offer very little help with relocation.....not acceptable knowing the current situation,

You saved my bacon dude! x
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:30 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980
Cheers for this really helpful....i am about to turn down a job offer for a big recruitment firm in AD who offer very little help with relocation.....not acceptable knowing the current situation,

If rent is the only thing switching you off the job,there are always serviced apartments.A decent one bedroom serviced apartment would come in 180- 200k hth
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:21 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980

No! Look Smiley, things really aren't as bad as they sound. Yes, rents in AD are high, as they are in most major cities. There is also a shortage. But you will find something.

Are you on your own, or do you have a family?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
No! Look Smiley, things really aren't as bad as they sound. Yes, rents in AD are high, as they are in most major cities. There is also a shortage. But you will find something.

Are you on your own, or do you have a family?
He/she is probably more upset with the lack of help than the costs itself.......... I would be too.

Big move, if you are leaving your country of birth for the first time.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:16 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
He/she is probably more upset with the lack of help than the costs itself.......... I would be too.

Big move, if you are leaving your country of birth for the first time.
Yeah, but we're not children. I have known a couple of people here without accommodation who complained constantly about how useless their companies were because they didn't find them somewhere to live. But when I asked them what they had done to find somewhere to live, it was like "well, nothing". I gave them both my estate agent's number, and did they call him? No.

The other thing that annoys me is that people think they are moving to the third world. This is a major capital city, it is not going to be as cheap as Cleethorpes, or Scunthorpe, or wherever you come from.

Rant over.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 5:27 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

some people can't even whipe their own ass...
Old Jul 28th 2008, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

someone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to allsomeone in al ain is a name known to all

Thanks..

Originally Posted by niddy
shows you how absurd the situation is getting: http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...0&profile=1010

This is an interactive feature of whats been going on: http://www.thenational.ae/article/20...410037963/1010

Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Lolapops is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say its a smart move - unless they're offering you a huge pile of cash i'd stay put. It is possibel to find accomodation out here but its scarcer than it was and the rents increase daily at the moment. The villa my colleague is in has gone up 100,00 AED in less than 2 months!!! and it's only going to get worse in the short term.

Eventually when all the residential projects reach fruition it'll subside and rents will become more normal but right now you have to be sure it's worth it financially and worth the up heaval of moving countries to do it.

Also, out here it isn't difficult to get an agent to find you a property as Sam mentioned, there just isn't as much choice as there once was.

The other thing i'd say that if a firm won't help with things associated with relocation is usually indiciative of their attitude to other things - if that doesn't bother you then great.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:34 pm
It's what the eye see's..

Dutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud ofDutchie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by niddy

Introduce some form of civilization over there, in my country the max rent increase is 1% on a yearly basis.