British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   AREAS TO LIVE AND SCHOOLS IN ABU DHABI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/areas-live-schools-abu-dhabi-839742/)

Bocat Jul 29th 2014 9:39 am

AREAS TO LIVE AND SCHOOLS IN ABU DHABI

Hi folks

For various reasons, I think we've pretty much decided that if things go to plan and hubby is offered the job he's in discussions about that we will choose to live in Abu Dhabi rather than Dubai.

However, I know NOTHING about areas to live or schools there (apart from what I've managed to look at on the internet).

Anyone who's living in Abu Dhabi care to share where they live and why they chose that area? What's good about it? Not so good?

And the same questions for schools.

Thank you!

Bocat

mikewot Jul 29th 2014 10:26 am

Re: AREAS TO LIVE AND SCHOOLS IN ABU DHABI

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...region-829332/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...-dhabi-836637/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...-dhabi-833579/

Bocat Jul 29th 2014 10:39 am

Thank you mikewot! That'll be this evening's reading once I get the kids to bed!

mikewot Jul 29th 2014 10:40 am

Search brings up a ton of info on AD.

pippanda Jul 30th 2014 12:05 pm

Find schools first, then decide where to live. Getting children into good schools in Abu Dhabi is a major challenge. There are a load of new schools this year, but all untested and not rated. Check out ADEC website for all school ratings.School-by-School Reports
Living in Abu Dhabi city means you have everything close by, from schools and shops...better transport links. Can be a little expensive.

csdf Jul 30th 2014 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bocat (Post 11351025)
Anyone who's living in Abu Dhabi care to share where they live and why they chose that area? What's good about it? Not so good?

And the same questions for schools.

Thank you!

Bocat

See below; I'd be interested to read the descriptions of fellow AD-ers in other parts of town.

Where: Al Karamah
What's good: This area is leafy and green, with a major park (Mushrif, currently being re-landscaped), a golf course and country club, and a large green park area around Mushrif Palace. It's central and so everywhere on island is within 15 minutes. Mostly low-rise villas. BSAK school.
What's not so good: Most properties are older (though personally I think it gives the area more character, so it's not really a negative for me).

Another link:
http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/knowl...e-in-abu-dhabi

Bocat Jul 30th 2014 2:17 pm

Thanks so much for all the info guys. We've been somewhat dropped into this at short notice so scrambling around for as much info as possible!

pippanda Jul 30th 2014 2:25 pm

[QUOTE=csdf;11352579]See below; I'd be interested to read the descriptions of fellow AD-ers in other parts of town.

Where: Al Karamah
What's good: This area is leafy and green, with a major park (Mushrif, currently being re-landscaped), a golf course and country club, and a large green park area around Mushrif Palace. It's central and so everywhere on island is within 15 minutes. Mostly low-rise villas. BSAK school.
What's not so good: Most properties are older (though personally I think it gives the area more character, so it's not really a negative for me).

Al Karamah

Just moved here from Al Reef. 30 year old villa, land lord fully refurbished the villa, great small compound. Central location, nearby some great schools. Life is so much easier being back in town.

Jimmy B Nov 10th 2014 4:13 am

I also live in Al Karama and would suggest it as a great place to live because it is so central. It also does not feel like you are in the middle of a city which is a bonus.

My son also goes to BSAK and loves it there!

Bocat Nov 10th 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks Jimmy. We're here now and getting nowhere fast. My son has been offered a place at Raha International which we're going to accept. They don't have a place yet for my daughter so we may have to put her somewhere temporarily and then move her at a later date. Not ideal but as I'm beginning to realise here - pretty normal!

As both kids will hopefully end up at Raha, we're looking at areas around here. We looked at Al Reef which seems like a nice community but I was pretty shocked at how small the properties were. (We've been rather spoiled by living in our place in Malaysia).

Also looking at Raha Gardens but I think it's going to be out of our price range. Khalifa City A seems most likely but I'm not sure about the arrangement there of 5/6 villas sharing a small compound - I'm can get on with most people - but what if you don't like your neighbours?! That's a bit close!

Feeling a bit lost at the moment as agents seem to be hopeless - everything we call up about is already gone and they don't have anything else to show. Seriously? I know affordable accommodation is a hard find here but seriously - nothing else??!!

Any advice most welcome! Also on best place to go to buy a used car - thank you!!

GolfGardener Nov 11th 2014 4:57 pm

If you don't fancy compound life, then there are plenty of good value standalone villas in KCA that would be a stone's throw from Al Raha Intl school.

Bocat Nov 11th 2014 5:46 pm

Thanks Golf Gardener. We saw two houses at Raha Gardens today and two stand alone villas in KCA. Seeing a few more tomorrow - all because of a chance meeting with an agent today who seems to actually have properties to show us!

I would actually prefer to live in a compound as I think it would be better for the kids to have other children around. Again I'm a bit spoiled by where we were living in Malaysia - big wide roads, spacious, modern houses. Al Reef and Raha Gardens all seem to have the houses practically built on top of each other and there's not much room for the kids to play outside. But the standalone's could be a bit lonely I think. I know - I'm hard to please!!

We'll hopefully get to make a decision in the next few days.

In the meantime, any advice on where to go to look for a second hand car would be most welcome!

Bluelionesse Nov 12th 2014 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Bocat (Post 11468452)
Thanks Golf Gardener. We saw two houses at Raha Gardens today and two stand alone villas in KCA. Seeing a few more tomorrow - all because of a chance meeting with an agent today who seems to actually have properties to show us!

I would actually prefer to live in a compound as I think it would be better for the kids to have other children around. Again I'm a bit spoiled by where we were living in Malaysia - big wide roads, spacious, modern houses. Al Reef and Raha Gardens all seem to have the houses practically built on top of each other and there's not much room for the kids to play outside. But the standalone's could be a bit lonely I think. I know - I'm hard to please!!

We'll hopefully get to make a decision in the next few days.

In the meantime, any advice on where to go to look for a second hand car would be most welcome!

For car i would first check on Dubizzle - try to find one being sold by an expat (often they say)

archie159 Nov 12th 2014 8:00 am

Cars - word of mouth; spinneys/spar (KCA)/abela notice boards; facebook (there's a hidden AD marketplace board, which has lots of useful stuff including, though less often, cars); dubizzle (but be ready to be messed around).
Housing - you've mentioned the main areas already. Everyone we know in Raha Gardens loves it, though yes you are a bit squashed in. Al Reef - some areas are nice, but I know more and more people who are getting fed up with dangerous driving, odious neighbours etc. Some of those small KCA compounds aren't too bad. Depending upon how much time you have, it is well worth not rushing into anything too quickly - by just driving around, looking hard, one sometimes comes across hidden gems. You could also look at the "between the bridges" area (can't remember its new name) - some nice compounds there, though not sure about prices. There are a few decent agents, though most are useless. Get onto the Abu Dhabi Woman Recommended forum also - you get more discussion and advice about such issues there than on this one.

Jimmy B Nov 12th 2014 8:10 am

Bocat,

Sorry about the delay in replying, go and have a look at Sas al Nikhel compound, it is lovely (next to the Cricket Ground). Also my suggestion for cars would be Abu Dhabi market place on facebook as expats that are leaving advertise their cars on here. You may also get some bargains for your house.

Most people get cars through word of mouth at work when people leave.

Hope this helps.