Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Areas to live (Dubai)

Areas to live (Dubai)

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

Originally Posted by archi2
Am I trying to find ways to make it a yes? Of course. Only wanting to hear a yes? No. Has the input of people on this forum helped? Yes! I have updated my figures to match what everyone here has suggested and have decided that I will not do this UNLESS my wife can get a job with certain benefits that would, in total, help increase our net disposable income by 150k AED/yr vs where we are now. An extra 100-150k AED/yr is sizable for me and worth the move. Here are the updated expenses I'm basing my decision off of now:150k rent100k schooling other monthly expenses:4k food & toiletries (we don't eat out + many of my own meals covered by co.)2k DEWA (including 5% rent tax, the 2-beds I'm looking at are around 1600 sqft)1k transport (car paid for, so this is fuel/maint/repair/tolls/parking)1.5k other recurring bills (mobile phone, internet, no tv, 300 AED/mo health ins)1.5k kids uniforms, clothing, little extras, surprisesTotal = 10k/mo So annual total = 150k rent + 100k schools + 120k other = 370k AED, which is exactly what my salary is. If my wife can effectively add 250k AED to this (100k is due to the elimination of schooling expense alone), then we're talking. Otherwise, no deal.
Mate there are a lot of 'ifs' in your scenario - you need to take out all the 'ifs' and stick to what you will actually have as an income......this is Dubai, NEVER count on any possibilities/opportunities/verbal promising.
With the current downward climate out here, people who have been here for years and thought their job was secure have been let go at a drop of a hat, and particularly those expats on whooping packages.
Have you thought about the possibility of you coming out on your own and then once you think it could work/and or your Mrs can get a job, then for them to come out and join you.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

archi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
Woah woah woah there sailor.

If she is hired locally as a local teacher she'll likely get a local contract and they'll likely want to see proof that her owner / husband DOESN'T receive housing / flights before they pay that.

Schools will want to hire her on basic only. Which will probably (depending on experience) be around that 100k a year mark.

I've thought about marrying my Mrs but don't want to lose the 70k housing and her flight. Money talks, love walks.
I'm not getting housing or flights, which I was frustrated by at first but I guess this would be the benefit of it. So as long as I don't get housing, she will get housing? They won't just say "your husband is making enough to pay for housing" even if he actually isn't getting a housing allowance?
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Mission, the UAE farmed vegetables are not always obvious and can sometimes be at foot level or tucked in a corner. They are not usually stored with the imported organic items.

The Aubergines, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Green beans, marrows, cherry tomatoes etc are all grown here in the UAE, and seriously, are very cheap.

Fruit is less common in this range but you can obtain organic fruit from companies such as Greenheart who will deliver to your door.

Fruit and veg from the Lavant region are also much cheaper than your Dutch/other imported items.

I realise this is a very small portion of archi's potential UAE life but just saying there are cheaper options but sometimes you just have to be aware of where they are.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mission
Mate there are a lot of 'ifs' in your scenario - you need to take out all the 'ifs' and stick to what you will actually have as an income......this is Dubai, NEVER count on any possibilities/opportunities/verbal promising.
With the current downward climate out here, people who have been here for years and thought their job was secure have been let go at a drop of a hat, and particularly those expats on whooping packages.
Have you thought about the possibility of you coming out on your own and then once you think it could work/and or your Mrs can get a job, then for them to come out and join you.
This is exactly what we're considering now. Coming out there on my own will let me generate income without large family expenses (rent & food are much cheaper here and, of course, no schooling expense) which will help build up savings...and I can be very frugal if need be. And then she can come over when she is ready to start her job.

But right now I'm still wanting to make sure the numbers will work out IF she gets a job before I even go out on my own. Because if she can't get a job there (unlikely, but still important to check) then it's not even worth it.

My package looks like it's one of the new ones that has been adjusted downwards. I literally get no allowance for anything, just a salary, that's why it may seem low to you guys (370k AED/yr total, nothing else.)

Last edited by archi2; Mar 3rd 2016 at 3:08 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 3:16 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archi2
I literally get no allowance for anything, just a salary, that's why it may seem low to you guys (370k AED/yr total, nothing else.)
Remember that the fancy 'allowances' you see are designed to minimise your companies exposure to end of service gratuity. EOS is payable by law but only on your basic salary, so companies give housing allowance, personal allowance, phone allowance blah blah to keep the basic as low as possible.
One thing to be cautious about is your thinking on being frugal here with no family. I can tell you that it is (or can be) very very lonely here until you start meeting people (outside of work). Stuck in your accommodation all evening and weekend by yourself, irrespective of skype, will make you wonder why on earth you left your family behind.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
One thing to be cautious about is your thinking on being frugal here with no family. I can tell you that it is (or can be) very very lonely here until you start meeting people (outside of work). Stuck in your accommodation all evening and weekend by yourself, irrespective of skype, will make you wonder why on earth you left your family behind.
That's a very good point Mike. It's a pretty big sacrifice even if it's just for a few months. That being said, my work itself is going to be hectic and I'm going to be out on travel most of the time. Plus, I hope to be able to utilize this time to get to know people in my office and just get to know the area in general. I'm also trying to get a couple of certifications which keeps me from my family right now anyway.

At the end of the day, it has just boiled down to this: we need to get my wife a job and, hopefully, it will at least pay for schooling. That in itself is 100k AED/yr. If on top of that, like for almost all other teachers, they're also paying a little bit for housing then that's just icing on the cake. Without my wife being able to get a 100k AED/yr teaching job + the education allowance, it's not worth the sacrifices.

If we can be a little more confident about the job then I can start considering this short-term move thing too. But even the short-term move is not worth it if we know we're not going to be able to make it work.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Mission, the UAE farmed vegetables are not always obvious and can sometimes be at foot level or tucked in a corner. They are not usually stored with the imported organic items.

The Aubergines, Cucumbers, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Green beans, marrows, cherry tomatoes etc are all grown here in the UAE, and seriously, are very cheap.

Fruit is less common in this range but you can obtain organic fruit from companies such as Greenheart who will deliver to your door.

Fruit and veg from the Lavant region are also much cheaper than your Dutch/other imported items.

I realise this is a very small portion of archi's potential UAE life but just saying there are cheaper options but sometimes you just have to be aware of where they are.
Locally grown and organic are different things.
Old Mar 4th 2016, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've a feeling this will go one of two ways.

1 Endless procrastination and the offer goes away to someone without the overheads archi has.
2 He's going to take it regardless of us telling him much it sucks.

Archi - you need to tell them what you need quickly. If they can't come up to the number then say thank you and look elsewhere. No deal is always better than a bad deal.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

Most of the locally grown veg is organic. You do however find some which just says locally farmed and not organic, but both are still cheaper and more fresh than any imported items. Also supporting local farms and businesses, less carbon footprint etc.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

As someone who does a lot of home cooking I find the local stuff very mediocre. Bland, rarely ripe. Often tastes weirdly metallic. Cheaper, yes, but you get what you pay for. Doesn't mean I think the fancy imported stuff in Spinneys is worth it, just that if you're expecting cheap but flavourful you'll be disappointed. It ain't the UK.

Anyway, you will have no choice but buy imported in many (most) instances. Never seen local carrots for example, it's all from Australia. Pretty much all fruit is imported.

Don't always agree buying locally is more environmentally friendly. Where does the water for the local farms come from? It's a desert country so the water is desalinated Gulf water, which is not good for the environment. It's all subsidised by the government, by the way.

But the milk is good, oddly enough.

Originally Posted by Ditzy
Most of the locally grown veg is organic. You do however find some which just says locally farmed and not organic, but both are still cheaper and more fresh than any imported items. Also supporting local farms and businesses, less carbon footprint etc.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
As someone who does a lot of home cooking I find the local stuff very mediocre. Bland, rarely ripe. Often tastes weirdly metallic. Cheaper, yes, but you get what you pay for. Doesn't mean I think the fancy imported stuff in Spinneys is worth it, just that if you're expecting cheap but flavourful you'll be disappointed. It ain't the UK.

Anyway, you will have no choice but buy imported in many (most) instances. Never seen local carrots for example, it's all from Australia. Pretty much all fruit is imported.

Don't always agree buying locally is more environmentally friendly. Where does the water for the local farms come from? It's a desert country so the water is desalinated Gulf water, which is not good for the environment. It's all subsidised by the government, by the way.

But the milk is good, oddly enough.
I like the local cucumbers. They're excellent.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:33 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I like the local cucumbers.
Very small but I suppose that suits you sir.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by mikewot
Very small but I suppose that suits you sir.
Actually, they're perfect. One per person per salad.

They are a bit intimidating the big ones though...
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
couldn't agree more....call me a snob, but i NEVER buy my fruit or veg from Geants or Carrefour - i just find the products of very poor quality and taste....not to mention if you don't use them up within a day or two they go completely off

BUT i gotta agree with SCAMP the locally grown small cucumbers are awesome - they have a proper 'crunch' to them, which i like.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Panditsfromabz is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Areas to Live in Dubai - Young Family of 3

Hi Guys,

It's almost imminent that we will be moving to Dubai in couple of weeks time and still undecided about the areas to live in.

I will be working and commuting to Sharjah everyday, so living close to E311 makes sense. I will also have to travel frequently to our Abu Dhabi office, so once again E311 proximity would be a key factor.

My budget is 130k/year absolutely max!

Areas I found good size 2/3 bed apartments/villas/townhouses are (villa is our preference) -

1. Springs
2. Jumeirah Village circle and some surrounding areas
3. Mirdif (heard about the flight path issue but got mixed reaction here)
4. Silicon oasis

Any suggestions or warnings about the above list? Any other areas that we should consider?

We are looking for at least 1600 sqft of property size. I realised they waste so much space to include countless number of toilets! When I heard the reasoning behind it it was amusing....not

Also, lot of them comes with a 'maids room' - is that really a room? Can it be used for any practical purpose - like guest bed or study etc?

Last edited by Panditsfromabz; Mar 7th 2016 at 4:13 pm. Reason: Forgot to ask the main qustion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.