Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Areas to live (Dubai)

Areas to live (Dubai)

Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to Live in Dubai - Young Family of 3

Originally Posted by Panditsfromabz
Hi Guys,

It's almost imminent that we will be moving to Dubai in couple of weeks time and still undecided about the areas to live in.

I will be working and commuting to Sharjah everyday, so living close to E311 makes sense. I will also have to travel frequently to our Abu Dhabi office, so once again E311 proximity would be a key factor.

My budget is 130k/year absolutely max!

Areas I found good size 2/3 bed apartments/villas/townhouses are (villa is our preference) -

1. Springs
2. Jumeirah Village circle and some surrounding areas
3. Mirdif (heard about the flight path issue but got mixed reaction here)
4. Silicon oasis

Any suggestions or warnings about the above list? Any other areas that we should consider?

We are looking for at least 1600 sqft of property size. I realised they waste so much space to include countless number of toilets! When I heard the reasoning behind it it was amusing....not

Also, lot of them comes with a 'maids room' - is that really a room? Can it be used for any practical purpose - like guest bed or study etc?
Just be prepared to compromise on the villa / location as you'll never tick all the boxes .

I lived in Midriff a lot of years ago and loved it , fortunately for you you'll be going into Sharjah and not out on the commute .

You'll pick a decent little place up in Midriff for 130K
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

It's almost imminent that we will be moving to Dubai in couple of weeks time and still undecided about the areas to live in.

I will be working and commuting to Sharjah everyday, so living close to E311 makes sense. I will also have to travel frequently to our Abu Dhabi office, so once again E311 proximity would be a key factor.

Areas I found good size 2/3 bed apartments/villas/townhouses are (villa is our preference) -

1. Springs
4. Silicon oasis

Any suggestions or warnings about the above list? Any other areas that we should consider?

We are looking for at least 1600 sqft of property size. I realised they waste so much space to include countless number of toilets! When I heard the reasoning behind it it was amusing....not

Also, lot of them comes with a 'maids room' - is that really a room? Can it be used for any practical purpose - like guest bed or study etc?
Kids of school age?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Panditsfromabz is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for the reassurance about Mirdif. Any thoughts on the other areas? We want to be in a community and have some amenities nearby - like shops, restaurants, parks etc. Found some good looking townhouses in Queue Point, Liwan, but the place looks 'dead'!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Kids of school age?[/QUOTE]

No my daughter is only 2 and a bit. another couple of years before she goes to school.

On this note - I will get a schooling allowance of AED32000/annum. Any decent British school there will cost at least AED75-80k, am I agreeing to a s**te deal?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live (Dubai)

I live in JVT (across the Al Khail from JVC) which has identical townhouse and villa architecture, the difference being that JVC plots are much smaller. JVC is very much a building site and access is limited, although they have announced 3 more access points from Hessa Street. JVC has plenty of shops and eateries, JVT, although more mature, is only just starting to get those. There are no public pools or social amenities in either, although in JVC you can join some of the apartment blocks for swimming and gym.
JVT is having a large (3000 pupils) secondary school built and a jumior school. Both due to open in September this year. JVC has neither. JVT is having a huge mall built (4000 parking spaces) although it is only a giant hole in the ground at the moment, so another couple of years. JVC has plans for another huge mall (235 shops) but not yet started.
If you are thinking of either site I would go for a 2 bed townhouse, it is much better organised and planned internally, as the villas basically waste space. If you wanted a 1 bed TH (which I live in) in the UK these would be 3 beds as they are very large.

Schooling allowance is woefully inadequate.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikewot
I live in JVT (across the Al Khail from JVC) which has identical townhouse and villa architecture, the difference being that JVC plots are much smaller. JVC is very much a building site and access is limited, although they have announced 3 more access points from Hessa Street. JVC has plenty of shops and eateries, JVT, although more mature, is only just starting to get those. There are no public pools or social amenities in either, although in JVC you can join some of the apartment blocks for swimming and gym.
JVT is having a large (3000 pupils) secondary school built and a jumior school. Both due to open in September this year. JVC has neither. JVT is having a huge mall built (4000 parking spaces) although it is only a giant hole in the ground at the moment, so another couple of years. JVC has plans for another huge mall (235 shops) but not yet started.
If you are thinking of either site I would go for a 2 bed townhouse, it is much better organised and planned internally, as the villas basically waste space. If you wanted a 1 bed TH (which I live in) in the UK these would be 3 beds as they are very large.

Schooling allowance is woefully inadequate.
1 Bed townhouses are looking really nice but not smart designs! Saw couple of the floor plans on the ads and there is no 'room' for guests, albeit plenty of open spaces.

The insight provided about JVC and JVT is really useful and sounds like what we are looking for.

I had a horrible feeling about the schooling allowance! I have couple of years to see if their policy changes/improves! If not there's always option to come back to UK (at their expense of course) just before the school starts. Can't afford to compromise on education standard.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:42 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

1 Bed townhouses are looking really nice but not smart designs! Saw couple of the floor plans on the ads and there is no 'room' for guests, albeit plenty of open spaces.
The landing at the top of the stairs is often converted to a bedroom, it is large enough for a double bed, plus chests of drawers etc. I had a double sofa bed there and put screens around the top of the balustrade when guests stayed over. Own balcony over the carport as well.
Jumeirah Village Triangle - Dubai Floor Plans
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:44 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
Kids of school age?
Originally Posted by Pandbitsfromabz
No my daughter is only 2 and a bit. another couple of years before she goes to school.

On this note - I will get a schooling allowance of AED32000/annum. Any decent British school there will cost at least AED75-80k, am I agreeing to a s**te deal?
Short answer, yes, you are. And whilst its only you and the wife living hand to mouth initially, when its time for your daughter to get enrolled in school, trade both cars in and get a camper. You can save the rent money that way as well...

Last edited by TGFKASE; Mar 10th 2016 at 6:54 am. Reason: Fixed the quotes...
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Short answer, yes, you are. And whilst its only you and the wife living hand to mouth initially, when its time for your daughter to get enrolled in school, trade both cars in and get a camper. You can save the rent money that way as well...
Talking from experience are you?? All your posts has a 'Pikie' flavour to it, that camper van comments explains it why.

THANKS for your valuable inputs so fart!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:28 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

Talking from experience are you?? All your posts has a 'Pikie' flavour to it, that camper van comments explains it why.

THANKS for your valuable inputs so fart!
Actually, mate,I am.... But not the type you are alluding to.. Im attempting to politely point out that this 'offer' is shit..

The experience I am talking from is, having left ABZ 15 years ago, living in the ME, Asia and the US. Throughout that time, I have ensured any move has had a decent salary, housing, flights, health cover, car allowances, paid schooling etc etc..

If it hasnt, I havent moved..

Regards your usage of the word pikey, can I just confirm what specific meaning you are attempting to get over? Is it the original 'turnpike vagabond', is it the later 'traveller', is it the more current 'chav', or is it the more North East centric 'Dundonian'?

I would certainly have to hold my hands up at the 'traveller' epithet, as pretty much 90% of the people on this site would have to admit. If its one of the others, step away from your keyboard, take a deep breath and calm the f**k down. If my post winds you up that much, then you'll LOVE the Sharjah commute ....

PS. 'So fart'... Nice touch.. Your kid tell you that one??
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,

1. Springs
4. Silicon oasis

you will not get any villa for 130k in those areas or anywhere
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Children start school from age three here so you haven't got long. If schooling isn't fully covered you really need to think again. AED 32k is enough for the first couple of years but your allowance should be for all fees, not a limit that will be less than 50% a few years down the line.

You'll also find that being rude to posters who have taken the time to respond to you really won't make you popular. You aren't entitled to get any answers so should appreciate that people are giving you the facts - even if they are not what you want to hear.

Last edited by Meow; Mar 10th 2016 at 8:51 am.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Actually, mate,I am.... But not the type you are alluding to.. Im attempting to politely point out that this 'offer' is shit..

The experience I am talking from is, having left ABZ 15 years ago, living in the ME, Asia and the US. Throughout that time, I have ensured any move has had a decent salary, housing, flights, health cover, car allowances, paid schooling etc etc..

If it hasnt, I havent moved..

Regards your usage of the word pikey, can I just confirm what specific meaning you are attempting to get over? Is it the original 'turnpike vagabond', is it the later 'traveller', is it the more current 'chav', or is it the more North East centric 'Dundonian'?

I would certainly have to hold my hands up at the 'traveller' epithet, as pretty much 90% of the people on this site would have to admit. If its one of the others, step away from your keyboard, take a deep breath and calm the f**k down. If my post winds you up that much, then you'll LOVE the Sharjah commute ....

PS. 'So fart'... Nice touch.. Your kid tell you that one??
I see who's getting wound up here

You did quite a research on that word, I'd give you that

Just as you pointed out 'hand to mouth' - a AED 500k/annum excluding schooling allowances, 2 flights/year, medical insurance and some other shit, didn't seem 'hand to mouth' to me initially and even after your input, it doesn't sound 'hand to mouth'! But hey, even if it turns out to be 'hands to mouth' I bet you'd be the first to comment here, until that time - CHEERS MATE!
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Meow
Children start school from age three here so you haven't got long. If schooling isn't fully covered you really need to think again. AED 32k is enough for the first couple of years but your allowance should be for all fees, not a limit that will be less than 50% a few years down the line.
Thanks for this. I will take this up with the hiring manager and see if a renegotiation is possible.

Originally Posted by Meow
You'll also find that being rude to posters who have taken the time to respond to you really won't make you popular. You aren't entitled to get any answers so should appreciate that people are giving you the facts - even if they are not what you want to hear.
Frankly, I didn't come here to become popular. The quality of responses from some of the guys here are genuinely helpful, whereas some are here to polish their vanity against people who are possibly half their age and are looking for help. I am not 'rude', but I don't shy away from a confrontation.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mission
you will not get any villa for 130k in those areas or anywhere
I'm sure he could bag somewhere in Mirdiff for that money .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.