Reload this Page >

Architecural Technician

Architecural Technician

Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:23 am
Just Joined

oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Architecural Technician

Hi Miss Eck

Thanks, I am currently a project Manager in commercial fit out. mainly airports, office blocks etc. I want to expand my career and certainly my lifestyle by working abroad for a few years, prefabably in Dubai. Visted a few times as a tourist and like the place. My wife and child plan to stay in the uk.
I have read a great deal on things like sponsorship, tax etc. Obviously a big concern would be making the break from a company I have been with for some 7 years. My plan would be to find a UK company and a prefable permement position. Would really like to hear from people who have done a similar thing and how easily or not they managed to settle and fit in both work and play.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:44 am
Just Joined

AdamADR is an unknown quantity at this point

I meantioned Architects earlier, but I deal primarily with construction/engineering at Architect & Design Recruitment. (Albeit a misleading name....)

If you are in need of, or are a project manager/director, commercial manager, quantity surveyor, engineer, claims consultant, construction/site manager or foreman etc, then by all means drop me an e-mail or PM me and I'll see what I can do.

We're currently working with consultants and contractors such as NORR, Nakheel, Consolidated contractors, Arab Engineering, Gleeds, Mott Macdonald, Hill, Carillion, J&P etc. etc. We have about 25,000 candidates and upwards of 400 clients we deal with globally, but we're always in need of good Ex-Pats. (easiest to find jobs for!).
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:51 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliver1
Hi Miss Eck

Thanks, I am currently a project Manager in commercial fit out. mainly airports, office blocks etc. I want to expand my career and certainly my lifestyle by working abroad for a few years, prefabably in Dubai. Visted a few times as a tourist and like the place. My wife and child plan to stay in the uk.
I have read a great deal on things like sponsorship, tax etc. Obviously a big concern would be making the break from a company I have been with for some 7 years. My plan would be to find a UK company and a prefable permement position. Would really like to hear from people who have done a similar thing and how easily or not they managed to settle and fit in both work and play.
My husband is an architect/PM and adjusted no problem to how things work here. It is just one big playground in this field. People have crazy budgets here so you get to work on far more interesting projects that you ever could in the UK. As a PM here he has worked on lots of different projects (no car parks thankfully ). As an architect/designer he has done some really cool things from funky office fitouts to interior design on some villas on the Palm and Emirates Hills. As an architect or PM this is definetely a great place to be.

Why would you not bring your wife and kid out here? Personally I don't know how people can live like that. We had 2 weeks apart whilst I finalised things in the UK and that was bad enough for us!

There are plenty of companies here looking out for well qualified and experienced staff. There are a few threads going on at the moment about architects looking to move here so if you do search you will see some contacts listed. Will also send you a PM on a few companies you could contact.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:54 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamADR
I meantioned Architects earlier, but I deal primarily with construction/engineering at Architect & Design Recruitment. (Albeit a misleading name....)

If you are in need of, or are a project manager/director, commercial manager, quantity surveyor, engineer, claims consultant, construction/site manager or foreman etc, then by all means drop me an e-mail or PM me and I'll see what I can do.

We're currently working with consultants and contractors such as NORR, Nakheel, Consolidated contractors, Arab Engineering, Gleeds, Mott Macdonald, Hill, Carillion, J&P etc. etc. We have about 25,000 candidates and upwards of 400 clients we deal with globally, but we're always in need of good Ex-Pats. (easiest to find jobs for!).

Now some of those are complete muppets ... but I won't mention names

There you go Oliver .... hopefully you can get something sorted out.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Now some of those are complete muppets ... but I won't mention names

There you go Oliver .... hopefully you can get something sorted out.
Lol, those were just a few off the top of my head. Yes I'm sure there's muppets in every company, but hey.. don't tar everyone with the same brush..

Oh and by the way, my roles tend to be more senior... $100-300k as they are more tailored towards the ex-pats leading the projects.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:02 am
Pog mo thoin

Lol, those were just a few off the top of my head. Yes I'm sure there's muppets in every company, but hey.. don't tar everyone with the same brush..

Oh and by the way, my roles tend to be more senior... $100-300k as they are more tailored towards the ex-pats leading the projects.
I know .. hence no name dropping!!!

Can you get me a job??? ... I was a dab hand at lego growing up
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:05 am
Just Joined

I know .. hence no name dropping!!!

Can you get me a job??? ... I was a dab hand at lego growing up
Lol, well you're prolly more qualified than some of the ppl that apply..... Hence, why we place loads of our ex-pats in a matter or weeks
Old Feb 8th 2008, 10:06 am
Pog mo thoin

Lol, well you're prolly more qualified than some of the ppl that apply..... Hence, why we place loads of our ex-pats in a matter or weeks
Yeah and in Dubai no one would notice if the end product was a bit shoddy round the edges!!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:06 am
Just Joined

oliver1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi AdamADR

Thanks for that. I am project Manager in commercial interior fit out. Now in my 7th year with dealing with projects up to about 2 million.

I started from the bottom as a tradesmen and have made my way up. I am thinking of perhaps entering at assistant level so giving more time to find my feet. What volume of jobs are about, salary and benefits etc at that level.

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

rocha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Architecural Technician

Hi

Read your post and would like to know if I can ask you some questions.

I'm a protuguese architect and have been offered a job as Project Leader in AD with the an important project (I guess they all are).

I'm gathering all sorts of information to find out if it's worth taking the job or not, and one of the things that I'm trying to gather is the reasonable pay being offered to Project leaders. Any chance your husband could give me an idea on values to see if it fits with the offer I received? I would be greatful.

Could you also advice me on the housing issue...ie, where are the best places to live...I have a young family (wife and 2 boys - a 2 and half & a 4 month old). My wif will be joinning me at a later date, so it means I wil have some time to look around when I get there (should be at the end of March).

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can reach me here or email me ([email protected]).

Cheers
Alex

My husband is an architect/PM and adjusted no problem to how things work here. It is just one big playground in this field. People have crazy budgets here so you get to work on far more interesting projects that you ever could in the UK. As a PM here he has worked on lots of different projects (no car parks thankfully ). As an architect/designer he has done some really cool things from funky office fitouts to interior design on some villas on the Palm and Emirates Hills. As an architect or PM this is definetely a great place to be.

Why would you not bring your wife and kid out here? Personally I don't know how people can live like that. We had 2 weeks apart whilst I finalised things in the UK and that was bad enough for us!

There are plenty of companies here looking out for well qualified and experienced staff. There are a few threads going on at the moment about architects looking to move here so if you do search you will see some contacts listed. Will also send you a PM on a few companies you could contact.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:07 pm
Pog mo thoin

Originally Posted by rocha27
Hi

Read your post and would like to know if I can ask you some questions.

I'm a protuguese architect and have been offered a job as Project Leader in AD with the an important project (I guess they all are).

I'm gathering all sorts of information to find out if it's worth taking the job or not, and one of the things that I'm trying to gather is the reasonable pay being offered to Project leaders. Any chance your husband could give me an idea on values to see if it fits with the offer I received? I would be greatful.

Could you also advice me on the housing issue...ie, where are the best places to live...I have a young family (wife and 2 boys - a 2 and half & a 4 month old). My wif will be joinning me at a later date, so it means I wil have some time to look around when I get there (should be at the end of March).

Thanks in advance for your help.

You can reach me here or email me ([email protected]).

Cheers
Alex
Will send you an email re salaries for PL's in Dubai. I also have a great e-mag on the industry which will interest you ... will send it on as well.

I am afraid I cannot help you re housing etc in AUH. Hopefully some of the posters living there can give you an idea of costs etc. Perhaps start a new thread or search the wiki.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Will send you an email re salaries for PL's in Dubai. I also have a great e-mag on the industry which will interest you ... will send it on as well.

I am afraid I cannot help you re housing etc in AUH. Hopefully some of the posters living there can give you an idea of costs etc. Perhaps start a new thread or search the wiki.
The cost of housing is getting more and more expensive day by day! I paid AED110,000 for my large 2 bedroomed apartment in Nov. The one on the floor above me, exactly the same went for 180,000 yesterday!
You need to secure a good deal with your company. Don't let them tell you there are cheap places available. They told me that I could find places for 60k to 100k. I went to have a look and I wouldn't have put my dog in them, and they were in the middle of no-where!