British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Arabtec (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/arabtec-935082/)

Millhouse Sep 30th 2020 12:39 pm

Arabtec

So then... who here (does or shall I say, no longer) works for Arabtec?

weasel decentral Sep 30th 2020 12:58 pm

Re: Arabtec

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12916310)
So then... who here (does or shall I say, no longer) works for Arabtec?

This is an interesting one - are the powers that be still the major shareholders in Arabtec?

Millhouse Sep 30th 2020 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12916318)
This is an interesting one - are the powers that be still the major shareholders in Arabtec?

No idea, but today (if what I've seen is correct) they voted to liquidate it.

now in meedia: https://www.meed.com/shareholders-vo...uidate-arabtec [see what I did there]

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 1st 2020 5:22 am

Nope but know a few there.

Don't know enough about it all but I'm sure their supply chain will just get ****ed in this, so we could expect to see a few more casualties to follow?

I wonder where you even begin with liquidating a business like that.

Millhouse Oct 1st 2020 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12916643)
Nope but know a few there.

Don't know enough about it all but I'm sure their supply chain will just get ****ed in this, so we could expect to see a few more casualties to follow?

I wonder where you even begin with liquidating a business like that.

I worked on the liquidation of a company called TXU. It was a copy-paste of Enron in terms on complexity, business model and size. I left after three years and we still had not finished. The complexity comes from intragroup transactions, ie if they own stakes in their subcontractors - which they probably do here.

everyone will lose apart from the government who will buy up the scraps for nothing.

weasel decentral Oct 1st 2020 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12916647)
I worked on the liquidation of a company called TXU. It was a copy-paste of Enron in terms on complexity, business model and size. I left after three years and we still had not finished. The complexity comes from intragroup transactions, ie if they own stakes in their subcontractors - which they probably do here.

everyone will lose apart from the government who will buy up the scraps for nothing.

Worse than that they are also in a lot of JV contracts, so that has to be figured out. Especially if they were fully integrated JVs. I doubt anyone has being supplying to them for a long time on anything other than a cash basis - historic debts I'm sure are unrecoverable.

One good thing is that they have been allowed to close, not to be another zombie building company completely ****ing the market with low tender rates for viable construction companies.

Millhouse Oct 1st 2020 6:19 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12916651)
Worse than that they are also in a lot of JV contracts, so that has to be figured out. Especially if they were fully integrated JVs. I doubt anyone has being supplying to them for a long time on anything other than a cash basis - historic debts I'm sure are unrecoverable.

One good thing is that they have been allowed to close, not to be another zombie building company completely ****ing the market with low tender rates for viable construction companies.

It got to the point with the one I worked on that we were going to just donate the left overs to charity. It was not cost effective to calculate it and allocate it to everyone that was owed something. Can’t see that happening here :)

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 1st 2020 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12916654)
It got to the point with the one I worked on that we were going to just donate the left overs to charity. It was not cost effective to calculate it and allocate it to everyone that was owed something. Can’t see that happening here :)

You mean, there was such little value left for your fees to be paid for out of the remaining stuff?

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 1st 2020 6:42 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12916651)

There's been a less than conspicuous exit of a good number of decent partners in recent years.

What's left, on the whole - couldn't deliver a letter, let alone a project.

weasel decentral Oct 1st 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12916656)
There's been a less than conspicuous exit of a good number of decent partners in recent years.

What's left, on the whole - couldn't deliver a letter, let alone a project.

If you keep the race to the bottom going long enough, eventually you reach the bottom. ME tendering became a pyramid scheme where the advance payment on each new project was used to prop up the losses on the previous project.

scrubbedexpat141 Oct 1st 2020 8:19 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12916675)
If you keep the race to the bottom going long enough, eventually you reach the bottom. ME tendering became a pyramid scheme where the advance payment on each new project was used to prop up the losses on the previous project.

It's not that different in the UK for a lot of the contractors to be fair.

It's just moving cash and hoping for the best. I'm always staggered at the margins some will be happy to bid and work at, whilst also carrying ALL the risk. Mind blowing.

Millhouse Oct 1st 2020 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12916655)
You mean, there was such little value left for your fees to be paid for out of the remaining stuff?

Pretty much. The liquidator is always paid first.

co durham boy Oct 1st 2020 8:35 am

At least they paid the salaries before they bumped themselves . Was on the cards for 18 months . Crap outfit and worse to work for .