Reload this Page >

Applying for/renewing British passports from 1st August

Applying for/renewing British passports from 1st August

Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Brit Embassy AUH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for/renewing British passports from 1st August

Changes to British Passport Service in the United Arab Emirates

From 1 August 2010, applications for full validity passports for British Nationals will no longer be processed in the British Embassies in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Please read this notice to find out what’s happening, why the change is necessary and how you should apply for your new passport.

What is changing and how does it affect me?

From 1 August 2010, the British Passport Processing Centre (PPC) in Northern Europe, based in Dusseldorf, Germany will process all British passport applications from the UAE. These changes are being implemented throughout the Gulf region in 2010.
Until that date you should continue to submit your passport applications at the British Embassies in Abu Dhabi or Dubai.

What should I do now?

Until 1 August 2010 you should continue to submit your passport applications at the British Embassy in Abu Dhabi or Dubai.
What should I do from 1 August 2010?
From 1 August 2010 you will need to send your completed application to the British Passport Processing Centre in Dusseldorf.
All applications must include a completed application form, two identical photographs, supporting documents and a credit card authorisation slip.
If you are applying to renew your passport you must also include your old or expiring passport. We will cancel this passport (leaving any visa or residency stamps intact) and return it with your new passport.
Application form: you can either download the appropriate passport application form from this website. Please read the passport application notes carefully and make sure that each section on your passport application form is filled out in its entirety, even if you do not think it is applicable.
Photographs: Ensure that the photos meet the new Biometric criteria. Ensure that you enclose two identical and recent photographs. One of the photographs must be countersigned by a professional who has known you for at least 2 years, but is not a relative.
The photograph standards required for biometric passports are higher than those needed for earlier types of passports. If the photograph you send with your passport application does not meet the standards required you will be asked to send photographs that do. This could cause a long delay in processing your application. Please ensure that your photographs meet the required standard, by checking the latest information on the DirectGov website
To avoid any inconvenience we recommend that you print the guidance and give it to your photographer.
Supporting documentation: Required documents list all documents that you will be required to submit with your application. Please note that documents must be originals and will be returned to you once your application has been processed. If you are submitting documents in Arabic, please note that they will require to be translated. Detailed guidance regarding translations will be available in due course.
Payment: Payment for this service is by credit card. Your passport application and payment will be processed by Dusseldorf. This is the only payment option. You should print a Card Payment Authorisation Form, filling in your card details as instructed on the form, and enclosing this with your application by post.
DO NOT send your actual credit card. If the cardholder name is different to the applicant’s name, please attach a photocopy of the cardholder’s passport or other photo ID with signature.
The cards we accept are Visa and Mastercard credit cards. We are unable to process Maestro cards, American Express, Diners Club.

Where do I send my completed application form, supporting documents and payment to?

You should send your completed application form, supporting documents and credit card authorisation slip to the following address:
Passport Section
British Consulate General
Yorck Strasse 19
40476 Düsseldorf
Germany

How much will this process cost?

The cost of a passport issued overseas is set by Parliament in sterling and is the same everywhere. Passport fees in Dusseldorf are:
10-year adult passport (32 pages) - €148
Frequent Traveller Passport (48 pages) - €179
5-year child's passport (under 16) - €95

You will also need to pay for the cost of secure return of the new passport by courier from Dusseldorf. Return shipment from Dusseldorf is handled by DHL Worldwide, this costs €25 for each application from the UAE.

You are responsible for getting your application to Dusseldorf either via a reputable courier firm or by registered mail from the UAE.

How long will it take to receive my passport?

For customers renewing a passport: we aim to return your new passport within 4 weeks. This time frame does not take into account any delays which may occur with local post or courier services. Applications can also take longer during busy times of the year.
If you are applying for a passport for the first time (this includes customers who are changing their name other than by marriage or replacing old blue books, lost or stolen passports), you should allow at least 6 weeks for processing.

Will I have to travel to Dusseldorf to get my passport?

No. You are responsible for sending your application directly to the British Passport Processing Centre for Northern Europe in Dusseldorf, which is part of the British Consulate General, Dusseldorf, Germany, and they will return your new passport and other papers by courier.

How will my new passport be sent to me and how will you guarantee protection for my personal documents and completed passport?

Return shipment from Dusseldorf is handled by DHL Worldwide. DHL provide a secure delivery service within 72 hours of dispatch, dependent on which part of the UAE you live in. The courier will need to obtain your signature on delivery. This service represents the most secure means of ensuring that your passport reaches you. We recommend that you send your application by a reputable registered courier service. Our dedicated delivery partner for safely returning your passport and documents from Dusseldorf is DHL Express. You can visit any conveniently located DHL Service Point across UAE in order to send your passport renewal documents. DHL Express UAE offers a special reduced rate of AED 100 to get your application to Dusseldorf. All you need to do is contact them and quote the special code: DHLBP.
You are, of course, able to use another reputable courier service, such as Fedex, TNT or Aramex, however your passport and documents will be returned to you via our delivery partner DHL Express.

Can my new passport be sent to a PO Box?

No, you must provide a home or office address, where you can sign for the package containing your new passport.

What if I need a passport urgently?

From 2 August 2010, the British Embassies in Abu Dhabi and Dubai will be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document. You should contact the British Embassy to discuss your case and emergency travel document requirements. You will need to visit the Embassy to process your application.

Why are these changes happening?

These changes are part of a global initiative to streamline the overseas passport operation; to reduce administrative costs while improving security and maintaining a high quality of customer service.

What services will the Embassy continue to provide for British nationals living and travelling overseas?

The Consular Teams the UAE will continue to provide assistance to British residents and visitors who need our help, including notarial services. We have professional and high performing consular teams throughout the Gulf region.

Is it illegal to send a UK passport across borders?

No. Sending passports across borders is standard practice elsewhere - a large number of our passport issuing posts process applications from neighbouring countries. This practice is also common in other countries: Australia, Canada, the USA and most of our EU partners process passports across country borders. The latest passport application form no longer states that "you must be in the country where this application is being made".

I need my passport for ID purposes. What can I do whilst my application is being processed?

You should carry your Residence Permit and/or other photo ID with you (e.g. driving licence), along with a photocopy of your old passport and evidence that you have requested a renewal (copy of your application form, proof of postage etc).
I am a frequent traveller and use my passport constantly. Is there any way to minimise the time I am without my passport?
You can minimise transit times by sending your application to Dusseldorf by an internationally recognised courier.
You can also apply to renew your passport when you are next in the UK, using the premium or fast-track services available there. For details see the pages on urgent applications of the Identity and Passport Service’s website.
Our system also allows you to apply up to nine months before your current passport expires without losing any validity (we can add the unused validity of your old passport onto the validity of your new passport e.g. add nine months plus 10 years). This gives you the flexibility to apply at a time when you are not travelling. We recommend that you apply at least 4 weeks before you plan to travel.
Alternatively, you can apply for a second passport. These are issued on a discretionary basis to people who travel frequently. If you choose to apply for a second passport you will need to include a letter from your employer setting out the professional reasons for requiring a second passport.
Residents in the UAE should also consider applying for an e-gate card. This will reduce the number of stamps placed in a passport whenever someone leaves or enters the UAE.

Why is it more expensive to apply for a passport abroad than it is in the UK?

The issuing of British passports is divided between the Identity and Passport Service (IPS), which works in the UK, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), which works overseas. The IPS issues approximately six million passports every year from seven locations. The FCO issues fewer than 400,000 passports a year from over 100 locations. The full costs of issuing must be met through the passport fee. Although we run an efficient operation, we cannot match the economies of scale that the IPS benefits from. Centralising passport production in fewer locations is one way for the FCO to cover costs without any reduction in service to the customer.

How can I make an enquiry about the progress of my application?

Careline services, are available between 0900 Monday and 1800 Friday local time and will be able to answer questions about the passport application process, documents required and the progress of your application once it is received in Dusseldorf. This is an English-speaking service only.
If you are calling from the UAE the telephone number is: +44 208 082 4736. Calls to Careline Services will be charged at GBP 0.69 + VAT per minute on your telephone bill for the duration of the call. Telephone service providers will also charge for the cost of the international call. Calls made on a mobile phone may be subject to additional charges which you may wish to check before calling with your mobile phone provider. For customers with hearing difficulties, a Textphone service is available by contacting +44 1750 725 368, charged at the same rates as above. Please ensure you have your credit card details ready before calling.

Have you transferred passport production elsewhere in the world?

Yes, other mergers have been successfully completed in Australasia, Europe, North America and Southern Africa. These changes to passport services are being implemented throughout the Gulf region in 2010.

Can I apply directly to the IPS (UK based passport office) instead of Dusseldorf?

Yes, but only if you are going to be in the UK at the time you make the application. To do so, you need to make an appointment at a UK passport office, and you must provide an address in the UK to which the passport can be posted. Full details are available on the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) website or from the Passport Advice line on +44 300 222 0000 which operates 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Customers should not make any travel arrangements until their new passport is received. The Embassy cannot be held responsible for costs incurred as a result of disrupted travel plans.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:17 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for/renewing British passports from 1st August

ok i'd like to be the first to say that this is a ridiculous idea and i absoluteluy guarentee that it will be scraped within two years after a string of disasters including lost passports, fraud, visa issues etc.

ie have the govt of the uae been contacted in order to reach an agreement whereby they will accept a photocopy of a passport as an official document and for example proof of residency?

"You should carry your Residence Permit and/or other photo ID with you (e.g. driving licence), along with a photocopy of your old passport and evidence that you have requested a renewal (copy of your application form, proof of postage etc). "

even if the uae govt has an agreement i guarentee that the message will not reach the various concerned parties and that the embassy will have to get involved when residents get into problems because of the above!

pppfffftt
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

OK Sorry but have to ask, what does the British embassy actually do for British expats here in the UAE? With this new nonsensical scheme, it doesn't seem an awful lot???????????
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
OK Sorry but have to ask, what does the British embassy actually do for British expats here in the UAE? With this new nonsensical scheme, it doesn't seem an awful lot???????????
About the same as the British Embassy here in Riyadh.
If that much!!!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
They act as a soft employment centre for housewives wanting to work a 7.30am - 2pm day.

I've just renewed mine - happy days.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 11:11 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody stupid idea. Whoever decided to process UK passports in Germany of all places needs their head examining.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

I cant stand the British Embassey in Abu Dhabi...Been here 12 years and have yet to see a White face there.

And the only thing they offer is flogging passports and total unnessasary rubber stamping, which they charge a fortune for.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
I cant stand the British Embassey in Abu Dhabi...Been here 12 years and have yet to see a White face there.

And the only thing they offer is flogging passports and total unnessasary rubber stamping, which they charge a fortune for.
Have to agree with you there. I did wonder if I was in the right office but luckily they were able to do the "needful"!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Arcadia;8646572]I cant stand the British Embassey in Abu Dhabi...Been here 12 years and have yet to see a White face there.

i have see "white faces" in there
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=busybee2;8646766]
Originally Posted by Arcadia

i have see "white faces" in there
There are some behind the scenes.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=soukie;8646777]
Originally Posted by busybee2

There are some behind the scenes.
yeh know a few of them, but yes you wouldnt necessarily see them in the visa section.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Ah, I feel your pain....I am in Toronto and just found out that we cant have our passports renewed/issued here in Canada any more either. They now have to go to Washington and take approximately 4 weeks. What are they thinkin'? I feel very insecure without having that passport in my sticky little mitt.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

RubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant future

Mmmh, I thought we were going to avoid the austerity measures, that was quick.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=busybee2;8646788]
Originally Posted by soukie

yeh know a few of them, but yes you wouldnt necessarily see them in the visa section.
Yes BB because your husband is a warden, so you probably do know a few..but I have never seen a white face dealing with passports, and the visa section..last time I was there was being serviced by a ''Teenager'' on his summer break, sat busily wrapping rubberbands around his fingers. I do know that a lot work behind the scenes, but I really feel peeved sometimes when The first point of contact is being manned by two Indian men and an Indian woman in a sari.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 8:48 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

And as for DHL being a 'safe and secure' service ... don't make me laugh. They lost two separate items ... one to us and one from us.

Luckily just renewed Mrs hnd's passport. Will ensure that we have a trip to UK in 2014 to renew mine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.