Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Applying for family/Spouse visa

Applying for family/Spouse visa

Old May 5th 2009, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Whizzkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Applying for family/Spouse visa

It has been widely published that when applying for a spouse' Residence Visa in the UAE, one has to have, amongst a mountain of other documents, an Attested marriage certificate.

This is only applicable if your surnames do not match in the passports. If they do it is not necessary to Attest the certificate, just supply a copy to Immigration which is acceptable.

The cost of getting the Residence visa can be misleading as prices quoted do not include, Admin fees, knowledge fees (whatever that is) and in some cases a bank fee, again I have no idea what that is.

The current fees are as follows including charges as above:
NB! I applied with my wife being in the country, these may be different if still abroad.
Typing cost - AED265 (A very expensive clerk)
'Inside Country' Visa cost - AED530
Status Ammendment change - AED570 (Cash Cow)

This visa is then valid for 60 days from date of issue and in that time your spouse will need to present her/himself at a government hospital for a medical i.e. lung x-ray, and blood test. God knows when the retina scan is done and what the cost will be as the this is not adequately advertised -

Maybe they get a thrill is seeing an applicant squirm when the head nodding clerk informs you of ANOTHER couple of 100AED fee.

NB!!!Dont forget they never quote the additional charges so be prepared. Fortunately there is a convenient ATM right outside the door.

This whole procedure is a morning's exercise and can try your patience.

The whole routine is typically,
1. See a clerk to find out if all your documents are in order
2. Get the typing done and pay AED265
3. They will then issue a Residence Visa for the pricely sum of AED530
4. Now to the Ammendment/Visa Status change clerk who points you once again to the Cashier's counter - Another AED570
5. Back to visa ammendments who takes all of the docs, stamps them and tells you to go back to the typists to get the Residence visa.
6. Don't go straight back, rather read a book for an hour then go and ask as this takes time to go through their system.

GOOD LUCK and have fun.

All of this was done at JAFZA and again this may be different at other immigration centres in Dubai.

Although a painfully tedious exercise the staff are helpful and pleasant and are no different to any other country's civil servants.
Old May 5th 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Applying for family/Spouse visa

Originally Posted by Whizzkid

All of this was done at JAFZA and again this may be different at other immigration centres in Dubai.

Although a painfully tedious exercise the staff are helpful and pleasant and are no different to any other country's civil servants.
Dubai immigration centre staff weren't pleasant nor helpful to me. Nor were they sympathetic to the fact that their lack of information and help caused me to have to drive back and forth between their and Abu Dhabi for 3 days in a row just so I could "transfer residence visa to new passport". Why? Because I dont speak Arabic and they dont speak English. Too hard, someone elses problem.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Sabriyyah is an unknown quantity at this point

Whizzkid,
Congratulations - yours is the first thread i've seen that is actually useful! Most of them just seem to be people complaining, having a go at the country they are resident in or competing to see who can use the most expletives in a sentence! Big shout out for intelligent forum users! On your subject though, many of us have a good PRO who knows the ropes and is prepared to work the system in our favour. Sorry that you don't but it's great that you sorted it for yourself.

Last edited by Sabriyyah; May 5th 2009 at 8:03 pm. Reason: quote takes up too much space and no need for it.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:21 am
Just Joined

Whizzkid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Dubai immigration centre staff weren't pleasant nor helpful to me. Nor were they sympathetic to the fact that their lack of information and help caused me to have to drive back and forth between their and Abu Dhabi for 3 days in a row just so I could "transfer residence visa to new passport". Why? Because I dont speak Arabic and they dont speak English. Too hard, someone elses problem.
Hi

I can understand your frustration. I am not sure of your reason in getting a new passport. Full? Would it not be easier to get an E gate card and retain the passport with the Residence visa in and then in your own time apply for a new passport for travel outside the UAE.
Old May 6th 2009, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Whizzkid
Hi

I can understand your frustration. I am not sure of your reason in getting a new passport. Full? Would it not be easier to get an E gate card and retain the passport with the Residence visa in and then in your own time apply for a new passport for travel outside the UAE.
Destroyed the thing. No other option. Left the country. Dont want to come back. Thats the story
Old May 6th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sabriyyah
Whizzkid,
Congratulations - yours is the first thread i've seen that is actually useful! Most of them just seem to be people complaining, having a go at the country they are resident in or competing to see who can use the most expletives in a sentence! Big shout out for intelligent forum users! On your subject though, many of us have a good PRO who knows the ropes and is prepared to work the system in our favour. Sorry that you don't but it's great that you sorted it for yourself.
Are you from expatwoman by any chance?
Old May 26th 2009, 3:00 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Don't know how this thread got by me! I am about to embark on the same path and did a search for residence visa fees to gauge the cost as there are ZERO online references for this process. Wonderful post!

Any idea if this differs for children?

My visa is provided but wife and kids are not so must brave the system alone.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Roserose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there I am new to these forums and don't know much where to post my query.

I want to move to Dubai along with my two children aged 11 and 12, my husband holds the residence visa and owns a LLC company and an apartment in Dubai and travels back and forth often. The reason I am posting it all here is I want to speak to him after doing all of my homework. Can someone kindly tell me would we get the residence visa easily and the procedure please?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

You are kidding right?
Old Jul 30th 2009, 5:35 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roserose
Hello there I am new to these forums and don't know much where to post my query.

I want to move to Dubai along with my two children aged 11 and 12, my husband holds the residence visa and owns a LLC company and an apartment in Dubai and travels back and forth often. The reason I am posting it all here is I want to speak to him after doing all of my homework. Can someone kindly tell me would we get the residence visa easily and the procedure please?
and he doesn't know how to sponsor his family
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Whizzkid,
If you dont like the forum, no one is forcing you to stay dear
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Roserose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and he doesn't know how to sponsor his family

He is one of those husbands who would come up with 101 reasons for us to stay in UK. So I thought I better do my homework before asking him. He owns a LLC company, apartment and travels to Dubai often. Would I be eligible to get the residence visa? What would be the procedure please let me know. Many thanks.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

He is one of those husbands who would come up with 101 reasons for us to stay in UK. So I thought I better do my homework before asking him. He owns a LLC company, apartment and travels to Dubai often. Would I be eligible to get the residence visa? What would be the procedure please let me know. Many thanks.
If he owns an LLC that is based IN the UAE, then his company sponsor will have a PRO that can do this simple. Will take around 4 weeks (Could be anything from 2-8 weeks)

If your husband has a Free Zone company, then it will be the free zone that would sort it. Same simple stuff, same 4 weeks or so.

Either way, you would be free to live here on a visit visa while its under process.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Whizzkid,
So you choose to post in the very sarcastic manner in which you criticise, without giving any help whatsoever?

Pot calling kettle? Hello...?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:09 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

he makes an application to the Department of Immigration to sponsor you, it is all pretty straight forward.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.