Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Applied to job in Abu Dhabi.. Tax!

Applied to job in Abu Dhabi.. Tax!

Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Applied to job in Abu Dhabi.. Tax!

If successful I'd be looking at commuting something like 3 on 1 off for a bit. With tax free earnings are you liable for full income tax on earnings in the UK then as I'd still be A UK resident? And NICs contributions I'd be making too...
Old Oct 13th 2014, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applied to job in Abu Dhabi.. Tax!

Hi Tramps_mate. In general, you're allowed up to 90 days in the UK in any one tax year (but check your exact situation with somebody much better qualified than me. ) The first year's allowance can be pro-rata'd from the date you cease to be a UK resident for tax purposes.

Any more than 90 days in the UK from April to April and you're considered a resident for tax purposes and thus liable for UK tax. If the 3-on-1-off is 3 weeks out of the UK then that should be enough to maintain non-resident status if you spend some of your leave time out of the UK as well. A half-decent accountant will be able to show you how to manage it.

Good luck with the job application!
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:50 am
Happy To Help!

TopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the roughTopNik is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Applied to job in Abu Dhabi.. Tax!

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
With tax free earnings are you liable for full income tax on earnings in the UK then as I'd still be A UK resident
Hello Tramps_mate,

If you are classed as a UK resident for tax purposes then you will be liable for UK tax on all of your earnings not just earnings in the UK.