Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone Taken their TV back to the UK?

Anyone Taken their TV back to the UK?

Old Jan 19th 2020, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone Taken their TV back to the UK?

I have many times taken large and unsuitable items between UK and Middle East (in both directions). It is generally fine, but be aware that there is a small but irreducible risk of damage. In theory airline is liable (pursuant to Vienna convention). I say "in theory" because in reality they may just laugh at you and gamble that you won't actually sue them. You might actually be better off packing the TV lightly so the workers can see it will be damaged if flung off the top of a ladder and therefore hopefully treated more kindly, whereas if hidden inside a well padded case it is more likely to be abused due to apparent solidity. Make sure also that the box could withstand being at the bottom of a pile of other boxes for a few hours.

PS If you can't accept a 10% chance of the TV being completely broken to pieces, don't do this.