Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone live in Amman, Jordan!!!!!

Anyone live in Amman, Jordan!!!!!

Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

mandya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone live in Amman, Jordan!!!!!

Hi, just wondered if there was anyone on here that lived in Jordan. We (my hubby and 3 kids) have been here a month now. My husband has a two year works contract here. I am not working and feel a little isolated while hubby at work. Just wondered if there was others in similar situation, if so, would love to here from you.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:52 pm
W10

Default Re: Anyone live in Amman, Jordan!!!!!

Don't live there but I can recommend the bar/club on the third circle :-)

Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Riadh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I lived there for four continuous year, and it is a very nice country try to go to British Council in Jabal Amman - mostly you will find other Brits there too. You may enjoy exploring the downtown one day and have a nice long walk - you cant be lost - by the way try to go to Hashem Rest - it is very popular in downtown near to the main post office - they serve only traditional meals there.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Mister Duck is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandya
Hi, just wondered if there was anyone on here that lived in Jordan. We (my hubby and 3 kids) have been here a month now.
Hi,

I don't live or work in Jordan, in fact I'm still in the UK so perhaps I'm not allowed to post to an expats forum?! Anyway, I am interested in the thread you've started as I'm considering a job offer that could take me to Amman for a couple of years, starting in a few months time.

Would love to find out more about the place and how it feels to live there - what there is to do, etc... Will watch this thread with interest and will appreciate anything that you or others can tell me

Last edited by Mister Duck; Jul 31st 2007 at 5:27 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

We have only lived here 5 weeks but feel its a great place with friendly welcoming people. Do you get to visit Jordan for a short break to get a feel for the place before committing to your job? I would recomend this so you have some idea of the place. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
The climate is great, glorious sunshine which is mostly bearable due to low humidty. Some great places to visit such as dead sea, petra, jerash, mount nebo, madaba.........the list goes on.
We haven't joined british embassy yet but are looking into this as we have been recommended to do so by various people. However we have visited the embassy and the facalities could be better!
Driving is very different. Be prepared to be amazed at what you see. You need nerves of steel (not tried it personally as taxi's are so cheap!). My hubby seems to have mastered the technique which not sure if thats good or bad!
Great food! Not had any bad meals here yet and there are so many restaurants to choose from. Anything from macdonalds to traditional mezes.
Loads of shopping malls, if you think blue water is big, wait till you see mecca mall.
If you have any specific questions, then let us know and we will try to help.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 3:51 am
W10

Driving in Jordan is fine...

Have you eaten at Jabri yet? It's an Amman institution.

The other institution (at the upper end of the scale) being Blue Fig in Abdoun.

Old Aug 6th 2007, 8:20 pm
Diarist

secretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to beholdsecretdubai is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by W10
Driving in Jordan is fine...

Have you eaten at Jabri yet? It's an Amman institution.

The other institution (at the upper end of the scale) being Blue Fig in Abdoun.
I highly recommend Books@Cafe for a great internet cafe/bookshop/pizza restaurant/general expat frequented hang out. Assuming it's still there.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:26 am
Just Joined

What/where is Jabri???

Books@cafe was still there back in Feb so I assume it still will be! Will give it a go!

Thanks for all your opinions/suggestions, very much appreciated. Keep them coming in!!!
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:28 am
W10

Jabri is the number one cheap and cheerful place to have Mansaf (the local dish) and excellent Baclava.

It's up on the Gardens Road, near the sixth circle if my memory is correct