British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Anyone in Kazakhstan? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/anyone-kazakhstan-929432/)

bizkitgto Nov 21st 2019 4:19 pm

Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Does anyone have any experience working with KPO on the Karachaganak Field? The majority of the work will be in the Aksai offices, with frequent field visits for commissioning/startup. Can anyone comment on the security situation, camp life, food/amenities, etc? There's not much chatter on these forums about Kazakhstan. Thanks!

carcajou Nov 22nd 2019 10:18 am

Re: Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Kazakhstan is not the Middle East, mods should move to the relevant forum.

gottheTshirt Nov 22nd 2019 1:08 pm

Worked on a project based in Shymkent a couple of years ago. Certainly no security concerns. Some concerns over noise from late night disco at nearby hotel. Some low price good restaurants. Apparently a good night life, but I am too old for that. Problem with local engineers speaking only Russian not English and slavish adherance to Russian Standards regardless of suitability. Bit like Azerbaijan.

scot47 Nov 22nd 2019 1:08 pm

Asia ? Not many posts about any of the republics in what used to be Soviet Central Asia. Or about Russia proper !

Jingsamichty Nov 23rd 2019 8:51 am

I worked on the Karachaganak project but that was over 20 years ago. I've got a couple of mates out in Kazakhstan at the moment (on different projects), they're both on 28/28, working for the clients. Summary in 2 words... "awful place".

Depends why you're going. It's one of these "work-eat-sleep-repeat" places. The camps are big and probably tolerable enough. Fly in, do your 28 days and get home as quick as you can. The problems start if you end up living in an apartment in the city, I've seen plenty people lose their marriages and houses because of getting suckered into the local nightlife and women. One old colleague of mine actually shacked up with a local girl and found himself a new father at 60... now divorced and penniless and with a new young family to support.

Millhouse Nov 23rd 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12768217)
I worked on the Karachaganak project but that was over 20 years ago. I've got a couple of mates out in Kazakhstan at the moment (on different projects), they're both on 28/28, working for the clients. Summary in 2 words... "awful place".

Depends why you're going. It's one of these "work-eat-sleep-repeat" places. The camps are big and probably tolerable enough. Fly in, do your 28 days and get home as quick as you can. The problems start if you end up living in an apartment in the city, I've seen plenty people lose their marriages and houses because of getting suckered into the local nightlife and women. One old colleague of mine actually shacked up with a local girl and found himself a new father at 60... now divorced and penniless and with a new young family to support.

so what are the negatives, exactly?

Jingsamichty Nov 23rd 2019 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12768218)

:rofl: It's like Love Island set in the gulags...

gottheTshirt Nov 23rd 2019 9:59 am

The problems start if you end up living in an apartment in the city, I've seen plenty people lose their marriages and houses because of getting suckered into the local nightlife and women. One old colleague of mine actually shacked up with a local girl and found himself a new father at 60... now divorced and penniless and with a new young family to support.

Does that not apply to every expat posting. Certainly does everywhere I have worked over the past 50 years. (excluding a camp in Terzabo -Libya) ?

Jingsamichty Nov 23rd 2019 10:06 am

I suppose it does, but over my many years working away the strike rate of colleagues ending up with Kazakh second wives sees to be the highest compared with anywhere else. I think the Kazakh women are ferociously determined to hook a Westerner and have stronger and sharper claws than most.

tooboocoo Nov 23rd 2019 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12768218)

:hysterical:

caretaker Nov 23rd 2019 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12768219)
:rofl: It's like Love Island set in the gulags...

So first the nightlife draws you in, then the girls get you.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...5c7bb9d457.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...32abfe42a.jpeg

bizkitgto Nov 24th 2019 7:30 am

I'll be working for KPO on 28/28, are the camps really that bad (compared to the middle east)? I won't be in town - I'll be in camp, primarily the offices and field visits. What are the camps like: food, amenities, gym, etc?

Jingsamichty Nov 24th 2019 7:57 am

As I said earlier, the camps are probably fine, same sort of thing the world over. My mates are British and American; if the camps were bad they wouldn't still be there. If I were to go to Kazakhstan I'd rather be in a KPO camp than in town.

gottheTshirt Nov 24th 2019 1:52 pm

I was based in town and can only say that the food was brilliant. Mix of European, mid Asian, Chinese even a couple of American burger bars, good beer and wine. On my few visits into the sticks I found good restaurants. i really cannot see camp life being at all bad. Communication was my only problem, had tro take a translator everywhere.

PS boxing and chess are national sports, plenty of gyms.

scot47 Nov 24th 2019 5:49 pm

Learn Russian and then no need for interpreter ?

gottheTshirt Nov 24th 2019 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12768988)
Learn Russian and then no need for interpreter ?

Those there for any length of time do learn Russian but then find they get stuck. I chose not to learn arabic in the 80s because I did not want to work in the ME, still ended up spending half my life in the ME.

weasel decentral Nov 25th 2019 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 12768239)
I suppose it does, but over my many years working away the strike rate of colleagues ending up with Kazakh second wives sees to be the highest compared with anywhere else. I think the Kazakh women are ferociously determined to hook a Westerner and have stronger and sharper claws than most.

Can relate to that; a company I previously worked for had to stop paying full wages to the staff in Astana, and just give them enough for monthly local pocket money and the balance transferred home to their families. This was after a lot of complaints from angry wives - on the warpath into the head office.

nonthaburi Nov 25th 2019 8:56 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12769197)
Can relate to that; a company I previously worked for had to stop paying full wages to the staff in Astana, and just give them enough for monthly local pocket money and the balance transferred home to their families. This was after a lot of complaints from angry wives - on the warpath into the head office.

Damn, I want to go there now.

scot47 Nov 25th 2019 2:14 pm

On the security side, have no fear. "The Organs" will take care of you.

amohamm4 Nov 26th 2019 9:41 am

Originally Posted by bizkitgto (Post 12767256)
Does anyone have any experience working with KPO on the Karachaganak Field? The majority of the work will be in the Aksai offices, with frequent field visits for commissioning/startup. Can anyone comment on the security situation, camp life, food/amenities, etc? There's not much chatter on these forums about Kazakhstan. Thanks!

I arrived in Uralsk City 2 weeks ago for a 12 month stint. I have checked on the map and the place you say is quiet close to Uralsk......

I am alone and finding it tough outside the work place.

scot47 Nov 26th 2019 11:08 am

What sort of difficulties ?

amohamm4 Nov 27th 2019 2:18 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12769817)
What sort of difficulties ?

I am Muslim and halal food is a big issue, despite 70% Kazakhs claiming to be Muslim, they dont really understand or abide by Islamic Laws. So I have resorted to eating vegtables & fish!!!

I also find the language challenging. Google translate does the job at times but its still very frustrating.

Of course the cold temperture makes going out on weekends and evenings very uncomfortable, yesterday it was -16 during the day.

nonthaburi Nov 27th 2019 5:48 am

Originally Posted by amohamm4 (Post 12770135)
I am Muslim and halal food is a big issue, despite 70% Kazakhs claiming to be Muslim, they dont really understand or abide by Islamic Laws. So I have resorted to eating vegtables & fish!!!

I also find the language challenging. Google translate does the job at times but its still very frustrating.

Of course the cold temperture makes going out on weekends and evenings very uncomfortable, yesterday it was -16 during the day.

Might do you good. A very healthy diet. Not good to eat meat all the time. What kind of fish though?

gottheTshirt Nov 27th 2019 8:41 am

The fomer Soviat Central Asian states practice a very different form of Islam to those in the ME. There are no restrictions on alchol. The beef in Kazakstan is some of the best and they are one of the largest producers of Halal meat for export. i worked with a team including pakistanis and Indians. Did not have any issues with either the islamic meat eaters or the vegetarians. When in Rome.
Difficult to believe that you did not check the climate before accepting a 12 month posting.

Maxima Nov 28th 2019 5:38 am

My guess is fish would be relatively rare and/or expensive in a place like Kazkhstan

gottheTshirt Nov 28th 2019 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Maxima (Post 12770755)
My guess is fish would be relatively rare and/or expensive in a place like Kazkhstan

Caspian Sea is a major source - Aral sea produced nearly 10,000 tons last year. Not a place to suffer from malnutrition no matter what your diet,

nonthaburi Nov 28th 2019 3:30 pm

Watching the Man U game, they said it was only - 15.

BritInParis Nov 29th 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12770943)
Watching the Man U game, they said it was only - 15.

Positively balmy.