Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Old Nov 24th 2019, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Originally Posted by scot47
Learn Russian and then no need for interpreter ?
Those there for any length of time do learn Russian but then find they get stuck. I chose not to learn arabic in the 80s because I did not want to work in the ME, still ended up spending half my life in the ME.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 5:52 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I suppose it does, but over my many years working away the strike rate of colleagues ending up with Kazakh second wives sees to be the highest compared with anywhere else. I think the Kazakh women are ferociously determined to hook a Westerner and have stronger and sharper claws than most.
Can relate to that; a company I previously worked for had to stop paying full wages to the staff in Astana, and just give them enough for monthly local pocket money and the balance transferred home to their families. This was after a lot of complaints from angry wives - on the warpath into the head office.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 8:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Can relate to that; a company I previously worked for had to stop paying full wages to the staff in Astana, and just give them enough for monthly local pocket money and the balance transferred home to their families. This was after a lot of complaints from angry wives - on the warpath into the head office.
Damn, I want to go there now.
Old Nov 25th 2019, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

On the security side, have no fear. "The Organs" will take care of you.
Old Nov 26th 2019, 9:41 am
Just Joined

amohamm4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bizkitgto
Does anyone have any experience working with KPO on the Karachaganak Field? The majority of the work will be in the Aksai offices, with frequent field visits for commissioning/startup. Can anyone comment on the security situation, camp life, food/amenities, etc? There's not much chatter on these forums about Kazakhstan. Thanks!
I arrived in Uralsk City 2 weeks ago for a 12 month stint. I have checked on the map and the place you say is quiet close to Uralsk......

I am alone and finding it tough outside the work place.

Old Nov 26th 2019, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of difficulties ?
Old Nov 27th 2019, 2:18 am
Just Joined

amohamm4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
What sort of difficulties ?
I am Muslim and halal food is a big issue, despite 70% Kazakhs claiming to be Muslim, they dont really understand or abide by Islamic Laws. So I have resorted to eating vegtables & fish!!!

I also find the language challenging. Google translate does the job at times but its still very frustrating.

Of course the cold temperture makes going out on weekends and evenings very uncomfortable, yesterday it was -16 during the day.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:48 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amohamm4
I am Muslim and halal food is a big issue, despite 70% Kazakhs claiming to be Muslim, they dont really understand or abide by Islamic Laws. So I have resorted to eating vegtables & fish!!!

I also find the language challenging. Google translate does the job at times but its still very frustrating.

Of course the cold temperture makes going out on weekends and evenings very uncomfortable, yesterday it was -16 during the day.
Might do you good. A very healthy diet. Not good to eat meat all the time. What kind of fish though?
Old Nov 27th 2019, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

The fomer Soviat Central Asian states practice a very different form of Islam to those in the ME. There are no restrictions on alchol. The beef in Kazakstan is some of the best and they are one of the largest producers of Halal meat for export. i worked with a team including pakistanis and Indians. Did not have any issues with either the islamic meat eaters or the vegetarians. When in Rome.
Difficult to believe that you did not check the climate before accepting a 12 month posting.
Old Nov 28th 2019, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

My guess is fish would be relatively rare and/or expensive in a place like Kazkhstan
Old Nov 28th 2019, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maxima
My guess is fish would be relatively rare and/or expensive in a place like Kazkhstan
Caspian Sea is a major source - Aral sea produced nearly 10,000 tons last year. Not a place to suffer from malnutrition no matter what your diet,
Old Nov 28th 2019, 3:30 pm

Watching the Man U game, they said it was only - 15.
Old Nov 29th 2019, 9:58 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Watching the Man U game, they said it was only - 15.
Positively balmy.