Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Old Nov 21st 2019, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

bizkitgto is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Does anyone have any experience working with KPO on the Karachaganak Field? The majority of the work will be in the Aksai offices, with frequent field visits for commissioning/startup. Can anyone comment on the security situation, camp life, food/amenities, etc? There's not much chatter on these forums about Kazakhstan. Thanks!
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Kazakhstan?

Kazakhstan is not the Middle East, mods should move to the relevant forum.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Worked on a project based in Shymkent a couple of years ago. Certainly no security concerns. Some concerns over noise from late night disco at nearby hotel. Some low price good restaurants. Apparently a good night life, but I am too old for that. Problem with local engineers speaking only Russian not English and slavish adherance to Russian Standards regardless of suitability. Bit like Azerbaijan.
Old Nov 22nd 2019, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Asia ? Not many posts about any of the republics in what used to be Soviet Central Asia. Or about Russia proper !
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:51 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I worked on the Karachaganak project but that was over 20 years ago. I've got a couple of mates out in Kazakhstan at the moment (on different projects), they're both on 28/28, working for the clients. Summary in 2 words... "awful place".

Depends why you're going. It's one of these "work-eat-sleep-repeat" places. The camps are big and probably tolerable enough. Fly in, do your 28 days and get home as quick as you can. The problems start if you end up living in an apartment in the city, I've seen plenty people lose their marriages and houses because of getting suckered into the local nightlife and women. One old colleague of mine actually shacked up with a local girl and found himself a new father at 60... now divorced and penniless and with a new young family to support.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I worked on the Karachaganak project but that was over 20 years ago. I've got a couple of mates out in Kazakhstan at the moment (on different projects), they're both on 28/28, working for the clients. Summary in 2 words... "awful place".

Depends why you're going. It's one of these "work-eat-sleep-repeat" places. The camps are big and probably tolerable enough. Fly in, do your 28 days and get home as quick as you can. The problems start if you end up living in an apartment in the city, I've seen plenty people lose their marriages and houses because of getting suckered into the local nightlife and women. One old colleague of mine actually shacked up with a local girl and found himself a new father at 60... now divorced and penniless and with a new young family to support.
so what are the negatives, exactly?
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 8:55 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

It's like Love Island set in the gulags...
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

The problems start if you end up living in an apartment in the city, I've seen plenty people lose their marriages and houses because of getting suckered into the local nightlife and women. One old colleague of mine actually shacked up with a local girl and found himself a new father at 60... now divorced and penniless and with a new young family to support.
Does that not apply to every expat posting. Certainly does everywhere I have worked over the past 50 years. (excluding a camp in Terzabo -Libya) ?

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 10:06 am
Lowering the tone

I suppose it does, but over my many years working away the strike rate of colleagues ending up with Kazakh second wives sees to be the highest compared with anywhere else. I think the Kazakh women are ferociously determined to hook a Westerner and have stronger and sharper claws than most.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 11:47 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Old Nov 23rd 2019, 12:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's like Love Island set in the gulags...
So first the nightlife draws you in, then the girls get you.

Old Nov 24th 2019, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

bizkitgto is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be working for KPO on 28/28, are the camps really that bad (compared to the middle east)? I won't be in town - I'll be in camp, primarily the offices and field visits. What are the camps like: food, amenities, gym, etc?
Old Nov 24th 2019, 7:57 am
Lowering the tone

As I said earlier, the camps are probably fine, same sort of thing the world over. My mates are British and American; if the camps were bad they wouldn't still be there. If I were to go to Kazakhstan I'd rather be in a KPO camp than in town.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was based in town and can only say that the food was brilliant. Mix of European, mid Asian, Chinese even a couple of American burger bars, good beer and wine. On my few visits into the sticks I found good restaurants. i really cannot see camp life being at all bad. Communication was my only problem, had tro take a translator everywhere.

PS boxing and chess are national sports, plenty of gyms.

Last edited by gottheTshirt; Nov 24th 2019 at 1:56 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Learn Russian and then no need for interpreter ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.