Reload this Page >

Anyone in Jeddah ?????

Anyone in Jeddah ?????

Old Jan 31st 2009, 5:24 am
Just Joined

JEDDAH PETE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in Jeddah ?????

Hi All

We have just moved to Jeddah about a week ago and can't believe how quite it is now. Ten years ago I lived here for a short time and the social side was fantastic.

It seems all Brits, Oz's Kiwi's etc have left. Is there anybody out there ??

We are here for a few years, my wife and I are in our early thirties and hoping to find others who are also in Jeddah who can point us in the right direction.

Kind Regards

Pete
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

MECA will become famous soon enoughMECA will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone in Jeddah ?????

Hi Pete,

My husband just accepted a job in Jeddah and is leaving for it soon (not sure why he did this as he had a perfectly good and well paying job close to home and isn't really getting any more money to move there).

Since you and your wife just moved there, can you please let me know where in Jeddah you are located? Staying? Is it liveable (we are from CA)? What is life there like? Weather, people, social life? Any info. you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping that my husband will decide he can not stay there and move back, but only time will tell.

Thank you,
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in Jeddah are you living? We're on Sierra compound, Hera St, in the north of the City.

Depends what you are into really, have you registered with the British Consulate? Occasionally, they have a 'club night ' which is a great chance to meet others and build up a network of friends.

If you're into going out into the desert, there is always the Jeddah Hash House Harriers, who meet very week for a short trip out, another good way to build up some contacts.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Well, my husband is moving there, not me. I do not ever want to live there...maybe I'm being biased but...why trade in a great life in CA to move to Saudi?

I know that you threads about life there are very positive...so what is it about there you like? How long have you been there? WHere are you from? or rather where did you move from?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MECA
Well, my husband is moving there, not me. I do not ever want to live there...maybe I'm being biased but...why trade in a great life in CA to move to Saudi?

I know that you threads about life there are very positive...so what is it about there you like? How long have you been there? WHere are you from? or rather where did you move from?
Forgive me, but where or what is CA? Central Africa / Central Asia?

I'm from the UK, been here in Saudi since April last year, was in Riyadh for four months, moved to Jeddah end of August, with wife and 14 year old step daughter.( teenage girls are so scary... )

It might not be Saudi itself, but I enjoy living the expat life style. I enjoy living and working in another country, sampling a different language climate, food and way of eating, dress , working habits and customs.

I enjoy being looked after by my company ( most of the times ) , they sort out accommodation, all utility bills, and pay for the flights home. Its lends itself to being a much more stress free lifestyle than I had in UK.

Money wise, my pay has gone up by about 50%. Wasn't earning huge amounts anyway, but this just makes it a little more comfortable.

Saudi is a very conservative country, and has some very strict rules. But, I do enjoy it here, and have taken to Jeddah, I think its a great City.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:04 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Meca, I note from your other post that you state you husband has never been overseas before. Have you? Not trying to be contentious but it's obvious from your posts that you don't want hubby to move or be successful in Saudi. It's damn sure he won't be without your support.

Do you have a passport?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the emails and info.
CA means California/USA!
No, I've never been to Saudi, but I'm from Iran...more modern, progressive, cleaner, etc...and although I can go there for visits, I can not live there. Once you have lived in USA and especially in CA it will be a difficult adjustment to live any other place.

I'm sorry you think that I do not want my husband to be successful OR happy, as I would not be married to him if I did not. However, being a woman, and knowing about the Middle Eastern life style, I do not want to live there, and for obvious reasons if my husband loves it there and I dont want to move there, then the marriage has no chance. So, please do not think I do not want my husband's success, but rather look at it as I want my marriage.

I agree WORK life style is different in Middle East than it is in USA, as it is more laid back and more family oriented as opposed to 'bills' oriented.

Just out of curiosity...are there a lot of single women there that I should be fearful of losing my husband to? I hear that there are a lot of Asian single female nurses there...My husband will be living in Arabian Homes there in Jeddah...can anyone describe how life inside and outside the compounds will be?

Thx,
Old Mar 6th 2009, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

Meca, if your hubby gets a housemaid, ask him to send you her photo...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 5:32 am
Just Joined

Why? Do the expats get housmaids? And are they typically Asians?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Why? Do the expats get housmaids? And are they typically Asians?
What do you mean by Asians? Being that you live in the good ole US of A, the American definition of Asian tends to be oriental / far east?

UK 'definition' of Asian is being from the Indian sub continent.

Most of the housemaids are Filipino , as are a lot of the nurses,and there also a lot of nurses from (South ) Africa.

Virtually every expat here will have a housemaid working for them, as labour tends to be very cheap out here. I have to agree with Roadking, you seem determined for the move not to work.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Asians = Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipin., etc.
Well, maybe being a male you dont understand the concept of being in love when married and not wanting to lose your husband to any woman, let alone a maid, at the cost of making some extra cash...

If you equate that to me not wanting my husband to succeed then that is your immaturity and your opinion playing a role in it...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Asians = Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipin., etc.
Well, maybe being a male you dont understand the concept of being in love when married and not wanting to lose your husband to any woman, let alone a maid, at the cost of making some extra cash...

If you equate that to me not wanting my husband to succeed then that is your immaturity and your opinion playing a role in it...
Ooh err....

I've taken the time and trouble to answer a lot of your questions - for your benefit not mine, and yes, have expressed an opinion along the way, which I think I'm entitled to. In return you resort to personal insults?

I won't be answering any more of your questions, good luck.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 7:58 am
Good things take time

saddam will become famous soon enoughsaddam will become famous soon enough

If you are not going with him, Do not let him go…. End of Story

You may lose him NOW, but better than he loses you LATER
It is impossible to resist females decoy – God’s creation + human nature, even if you got an angel man
Take it from a poor man who spent 23+ years in Middle East, including Iran!
Doesn’t matter Jeddah, Dubai , Libya or Mars ,
Adam and Eve will find ways , with the help of Mr Satin

I Didnt go Jeddah,
Heard good stories though + nice spots + great people
Give husband a support (IF YOU REALLY LOVE HIM) and jump with him into mystery, so both know … TOGETHER
You are not losing any things after all
CA is not perfect anyway

Last edited by saddam; Mar 6th 2009 at 8:14 am.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 9:41 am
Good things take time

saddam will become famous soon enoughsaddam will become famous soon enough

MECA , would like to add some thing before I go 4 days walk tour
As a man,
Let me enlighten you, you may hear this for the first time.
It is not an easy task to understand man’s thinking .We are different
Man got a good job, yes we’ve been through this, but change required i.e environment, bored, systems, people, friends, location, TAX..etc.
You females are wise when it comes to happiness, hard to define happiness in men lives Give him this change and satisfy the inside desire, but do NOT leave him alone through this experience , it might take him high ,higher than expected , then he starts looking at complete change – including faithful one/queen of heart

With you “side by side” not only give support but draw redlines to each other as well

Despite above, you should be really concerned if he asked to fly alone?
Probabilities are many = had enough, and/or heart changing colour , or else

Cherio and wish you good luck
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:46 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

(not sure why he did this as he had a perfectly good and well paying job close to home and isn't really getting any more money to move there).
Have you asked?

I know western women get away much more easily without the headscarf in Jeddah than in Tehran, the progressive question isn't cut and dried (although in general the life of an ex-pat woman in Saudi is pretty narrowly defined).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.