Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone driven from Khasab to Dibba?

Anyone driven from Khasab to Dibba?

Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:19 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone driven from Khasab to Dibba?

When parentals are out at the end of the month, we're planning to drive up to Khasab, then down the other side of the Musandam to Dibba. Only thing is, the road situation seems a bit vague, and proper road maps of Musandam seem to be impossible to locate in Dubai.

There *seems* to be a major road that travels all the way from Khasab to just north of Dibba... anyone know for sure?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:34 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone driven from Khasab to Dibba?

Originally Posted by GarethR
When parentals are out at the end of the month, we're planning to drive up to Khasab, then down the other side of the Musandam to Dibba. Only thing is, the road situation seems a bit vague, and proper road maps of Musandam seem to be impossible to locate in Dubai.

There *seems* to be a major road that travels all the way from Khasab to just north of Dibba... anyone know for sure?
It's my understanding that there is not a direct route. You can try to go from Khasab direct into Wadi Bih, however the check point will not let you through...

Go to Khasab, double back to RAK then go through Wadi Bih to Dibba. It will be a stunning, but long one day drive...

The latest Offroad Explorer has a good map of Khasab / Musandam and the routes in and out...
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:01 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Go to Khasab, double back to RAK then go through Wadi Bih to Dibba. It will be a stunning, but long one day drive...
No time, sadly. The map we looked at in MoE yesterday indicates a major road "under construction" running down the eastern side of the Musandam and stopping just north of Dibba; given that the map is a year or two old, hopefully it's largely complete by now - or complete enough to get us a long way down before having to switch to smaller roads.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:01 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

The wadi bih road is now manned by border ploice at the weekend (closes at 6pm i think) so you will need visa's before you go as i dont think they will issue them, shouldnt be a prob if you've got them to go to khasab first. during the week it seems to be unmanned so no issue at all.

but check as apparently its changed twice in the last two weeks!!!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
The wadi bih road is now manned by border ploice at the weekend (closes at 6pm i think) so you will need visa's before you go as i dont think they will issue them, shouldnt be a prob if you've got them to go to khasab first. during the week it seems to be unmanned so no issue at all.

but check as apparently its changed twice in the last two weeks!!!
Two more posts mate for the big 1,000.......what you got in store for us.......
Old Mar 8th 2006, 10:02 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going from Khasab tomorrow, I'll tell you then what the situation is.

I do know that you cant get into UAE from the border post at Wadi Bih though, don't try it.

Speak Saturday
Old Mar 11th 2006, 5:46 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

No it's not open, and to be honest I couldn't see any road construction of the level you speak. The only way from Khasab to Dibba is Via Wadi Khasab BUT ONLY if you're an Omani (dunno about UAE Nationals). There is no other main road out of Khasab apart from the one you come in on.

Wadi Khasab is a Mountain Road that goes to 5200' on a dirt track with numerous hairpins, interesting, but certainly not relaxing.

Went to Golden Tulip for a quick Orange Juice on the way back, it looks OK, nothing special, but good for a relaxing weekend.

One word of warning tho, driving through RAK is a nightmare.

Pics If you're interested are posted in my usual place.

Last edited by MJC; Mar 11th 2006 at 6:21 am.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:15 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
No it's not open, and to be honest I couldn't see any road construction of the level you speak. The only way from Khasab to Dibba is Via Wadi Khasab BUT ONLY if you're an Omani (dunno about UAE Nationals). There is no other main road out of Khasab apart from the one you come in on.

GCC Citizens (UAE Oman Qatar Bahrain Kuwait and Saudia) donot require Visa's of any sort for any purpose for visting any GCC country. It Open opportunities and open borders for citizens of each country.

documents require to enter or to live: Drivers license, health card, NIC or passport (a must for airport) (not required for land travel)
Old Mar 11th 2006, 6:26 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC

Wadi Khasab is a Mountain Road that goes to 5200' on a dirt track with numerous hairpins, interesting, but certainly not relaxing.

Went to Golden Tulip for a quick Orange Juice on the way back, it looks OK, nothing special, but good for a relaxing weekend.

One word of warning tho, driving through RAK is a nightmare.

Pics If you're interested are posted in my usual place.
Cheers Hun, will be a good idea to stay an extra night at the Golden Tulip after the dhow cruise and head off to Dibba in the morning, looks like it'll be the scenic route!! Will speak to Khasab Travel re visas going on this route.

Zxx

PS - good piccies, hardly any of you though...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:42 am
Soupy twist

Originally Posted by MJC
No it's not open, and to be honest I couldn't see any road construction of the level you speak
Interesting - I'll speak to someone at the Omani embassy about it. I've seen two maps now that indicate a major road under construction between Khasab and Dibba.

Went to Golden Tulip for a quick Orange Juice on the way back, it looks OK, nothing special
Yes, we were there last year. Middle of Ramadan but they still had normal food service, which was nice.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 9:49 am