Reload this Page >

Anyone from Dammam here?

Anyone from Dammam here?

Old Jan 26th 2013, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

nigel50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone from Dammam here?

Hi there,

I'm travelling to Dammam in Feb for a sighting trip and to negotiate package. Is anyone on here from the area, or have good knowledge of saudi practices re immigrants?

I'm travelling solo and hoping to spend 2-3 years in the country.

Any advice re cars, compounds and benefits welcome.

Looking at; Salary +30% bonus, car supplied,accom supplied, 4 flights and six weeks hols, medical cover this in particular I need advice on good companies etc.

Any help welcomed.

Regards.

Nigel
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone from Dammam here?

Immigration can be fun in KSA anything from 5 minutes to several hours on a fresh visa. Iqama/residency plus multiple re-entry visa (necessary for sanity weekends in Bahrain) will (should) be arranged by your new company. Car - 4*4 definite - make/model your choice, get an International Driving Permit from the Post Office before travelling to Saudi use with your UK licence. Compounds - go for Al Khobar over Dammam all day, more Western compounds and Dammam is a hole. Medical - company will probably have a deal in place already, hospitals, dentists, pretty good in Khobar.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Dammam is more 3rd World and industrial than Khobar which is posh and administrative. I lived in Dhahran for years (between the two). Together with my colleagues I almost ALWAYS hedaed to Khobar - or beyond top Bahrain
Old Jan 28th 2013, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

So all the best compounds are not in Dammam then, that makes location easier.

I would appreciate advice re what types of medical cover to get, the company I have been approached by do not have any Westerners working for them so as the first I will need to know what to ask for.

I realise most of you are working for large corporates but I won't be so really need specifics as the company have not done this before.

Definately going for a large 4x4 for safety with the driving I've heard so much about, also to use to tow either a jetski or motocrosser to keep me sane at the weekends.

Any of the compounds better for bachelors? Don't really want to be fenced off at the end of the compound or similar, nor overun with creches!

Oh and anything I should definately bring with me that can't be bought locally, medical basics or similar?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Eurovillage in Khobar was okay. Maybe too downmarket for some. Good location, just off Khobar-Dammam Highway. I had private health coverf when there organised by the broker at the university. Lots of firms in the Health Insurance field now that this is compulsory for foreign workers not in the government sector. AXA do a lot of health cover in KSA - perhaps througfh a broker.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Health Insurance is controlled by Ministries in Riyadh (Health plus SAMA, ie Finance)
Here is the list of approved companies

http://www.mapsofworld.com/saudi-ara...insurance.html
Old Jan 29th 2013, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

DM1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nigel, I've been in Khobar since October and am gradually finding my way around. There are many compounds here and I viewed quite a few before committing. My company provides medical insurance through BUPA although I understand we are considering switching to AXA. If I can be of any further assistance just ask!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

I can't pm anyone yet soI'll start a new thread with Khobar in the heading instead!
Thanks for the advice to date.
Still need info on which compound to choose.