Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Bahrain???

Anyone in Bahrain???

Old May 27th 2007, 5:28 pm
Expats Newboy

JohnG will become famous soon enoughJohnG will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone in Bahrain???

Hi, I'm in the process of taking a job in Bahrain....... I've never been so whats it like??? I haven't got many details yet so I don't know where I'll be going or anything. Any info gratefully recieved.!!!!
Old May 27th 2007, 5:55 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Bahrain???

Originally Posted by JohnG
Hi, I'm in the process of taking a job in Bahrain....... I've never been so whats it like??? I haven't got many details yet so I don't know where I'll be going or anything. Any info gratefully recieved.!!!!
Welcome to the forum.

There are a few who have lived in Bahrain. If you give it a day or so then you should find there will be a few responses.

In the mean time, use either the wiki function, or the search function to search the middle east forum for bahrain....the answers to your questions may well have already been answered.

Kind Regards
JD
Old May 27th 2007, 5:57 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Welcome to the forum.

There are a few who have lived in Bahrain. If you give it a day or so then you should find there will be a few responses.

In the mean time, use either the wiki function, or the search function to search the middle east forum for bahrain....the answers to your questions may well have already been answered.

Kind Regards
JD
Not offering them a shag, Jammy?
Old May 27th 2007, 6:01 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Not offering them a shag, Jammy?
Oh shit....sorry.

Hey John, if you fancy a cheeky shag..........................Little Jimmy's your man
Old May 27th 2007, 6:01 pm
Up in the air

Oh shit....sorry.

Hey John, if you fancy a cheeky shag..........................Little Jimmy's your man
Just Messing John.....old timer joke..
Old May 27th 2007, 6:05 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh shit....sorry.

There's nothing cheeky about my shagging, sunshine.
Old May 27th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all
Cool Re: Anyone in Bahrain???

Yep, I'm here in the sandpit.. What sort of info are you after? Accom etc? Most singles tend to live in the Juffair area, near the US base, it's close to town, has it's own little shopping district now, restaurants and bars so you can basically walk there.. well maybe not in this weather, they said it was 49'c today! Will the company provide you with short term accommodation when you arrive? Have they got someone to meet you etc? Let me know what you need and will be more than happy to let you know..
Old May 27th 2007, 7:11 pm
Up in the air

Originally Posted by camel jockey
Yep, I'm here in the sandpit.. What sort of info are you after? Accom etc? Most singles tend to live in the Juffair area, near the US base, it's close to town, has it's own little shopping district now, restaurants and bars so you can basically walk there.. well maybe not in this weather, they said it was 49'c today! Will the company provide you with short term accommodation when you arrive? Have they got someone to meet you etc? Let me know what you need and will be more than happy to let you know..
good lad!

karma sent
Old May 27th 2007, 8:32 pm
Expats Newboy

JohnG will become famous soon enoughJohnG will become famous soon enough

Cheers for that mate..... Accomodation etc all provided for the year, All I've gotta pay for is food. I dunno where it is at the mome, nt cos it's all a bit hush hush but as soon as I get any info I'll get back to ya.!!!! Just really wanted to know what to expect out there, Whats the lifestyle likeanything that I should know, things to do/not to do, Anything that I need to bring that you can't get out there,Are UK electrical things ok out there i.e Laptops, Is it cheaper to get a laptop out there, is internet easy to sort out, sim cards for mobiles, Just anything that anyone thinks relevant really.....Thanks again Sent ya a karma too.!!!

Last edited by JohnG; May 27th 2007 at 8:51 pm.
Old May 28th 2007, 6:22 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnG
Cheers for that mate..... Accomodation etc all provided for the year, All I've gotta pay for is food. I dunno where it is at the mome, nt cos it's all a bit hush hush but as soon as I get any info I'll get back to ya.!!!! Just really wanted to know what to expect out there, Whats the lifestyle likeanything that I should know, things to do/not to do, Anything that I need to bring that you can't get out there,Are UK electrical things ok out there i.e Laptops, Is it cheaper to get a laptop out there, is internet easy to sort out, sim cards for mobiles, Just anything that anyone thinks relevant really.....Thanks again Sent ya a karma too.!!!
Electrical goods are pretty cheap in Bahrain - Geant sell laptops at least as cheap as UK, although any electrical stuff from UK will work it's probably easier to buy it in Bahrain if you can.
Lifestyle was not bad a year ago or so, but was told only 5 star hotels can serve booze now, not sure how that has affected Rock Bottom, Warblers, Upstairs Downstairs etc... Used to be good places.
Juffair is not bad if you can stomach Americans, otherwise Saar/Budaiya is an option, more family orientated but Rugby club/Spinneys/Dilmun Club/Country Club are nearby.
Give yourself a couple of days to sort internet out (or find a place where neighbour has unsecured wireless) and phones, not to difficult but requires a little patience.
Old May 28th 2007, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all

I just bought a new laptop here, they have cut all taxes on certain electronics now so prices are reasonable. Would probably get it here because then if anything goes wrong, you can go back to were you bought it from. Sim cards, you can pick up in airport arrivals on the right hand side as you leave customs. Batelco & MTC Vodophone stores, much of a muchness really, have got Batelco personally but that's because when I arrived it was only Batelco and too lazy to change. You won't be able to get a post paid without a CPR card, so just ask for SIM SIM the postpaid one.

The septics are okay, they are restricted somewhat in what they can do and where they can go, most are okay, it's just the young ones that don't have a mind to think for themselves that you just want to knock some sense into..

They is something happening about alcohol but it has not taken effect yet, to many complaints me thinks. Adliya has been zoned a tourist area anyway so all of the restaurants there are exempt & the Brit club I think. The Dilman, Rugby and Country club (all located in Budaiya/Saar area) are all still serving alcohol at the moment so you won't have to fear of being dry. In saying that in Ramadan, alcohol is only served by certain restaurants (in tea cups mind you!!). Think this year it's going to be in end of Sept-to half way through Oct. Make sure to keep a stock in your flat to last you a month, then when people find out you have a stock, you will have many friends coming to visit..

Would agree with NorthernLad, Budaiya/Saar is more family orientated but there are still singles there. Loads of expats everywhere around there..

You can bring all your electric stuff over, UK points in all places here so nay bother.

If you are single, it is an awesome life, work just gets in the way! So much to do.. It may take some time to meet people if your work is not very social but I was very lucky that mine was.. I used to get the ****s when I had to go to work cause it was interfering in my social life. I was 22 though! Na, Bahrain is what you make of it really, I love it (that's why I have been here so long!).

Don't know if you have lived in the ME before but if you haven't, the "Enshallah" way of doing things can get on your nerves. It does get better, s l o w l y !!
Oh, BTW, not a lad last time I checked.. Certainly wasn't when I gave birth to my son either! HA!

Last edited by camel jockey; May 28th 2007 at 9:01 am.
Old May 28th 2007, 9:01 am
Up in the air

Oh, BTW, not a lad last time I checked.. Certainly wasn't when I gave birth to my son either! HA!
Shit....Im having real gender issues this week!!

Anyway...Good stuff CJ...you are now officially our new man on the ground in Bahrain.

We'll bounce all Bahrain questions your way!!

btw...i meant woman on the ground
Old May 28th 2007, 9:33 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Shit....Im having real gender issues this week!!

Anyway...Good stuff CJ...you are now officially our new man on the ground in Bahrain.

We'll bounce all Bahrain questions your way!!

btw...i meant woman on the ground

the pink thingy next to her username is a bit of a clue I find....
Old May 28th 2007, 9:38 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
the pink thingy next to her username is a bit of a clue I find....
Really?
Old May 28th 2007, 9:53 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Really?
oh hello doll...didn't see you there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.