Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone on Al Reef?

Anyone on Al Reef?

Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:38 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone on Al Reef?

Considering relocating from downtown AD. Al Reef looks great value, but what are the downsides (there must be some)? And bearing in mind that I'd be living a bachelor life there most of the time, would it be bearable? Also, I have friends to stay from time-to-time who may want to bring some, er, non-spousal company with them--would that be an issue?

Thanks in anticipation
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on Al Reef?

the new apartments are just coming on line and also the villas start from 2 bed upwards. its a bit out in the sandpit, next to the runway, and when they finish the cargo area you will get increased noise, there is now a bus service from there so you dont have to rely on taxis which they usually are around the front gate areas, the build quality is the usual ad stuff, a lot of people do have problems. there are a lot of families but also couples too. know a few peeps up there and they quite like it, even with the housing issues.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Considering relocating from downtown AD. Al Reef looks great value, but what are the downsides (there must be some)? And bearing in mind that I'd be living a bachelor life there most of the time, would it be bearable? Also, I have friends to stay from time-to-time who may want to bring some, er, non-spousal company with them--would that be an issue?

Thanks in anticipation
I think you would hate it there.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Al Fly. There are loads of flies everywhere in Al Reef.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

My ex work colleague moved there late last year. Fine for him since he works in Mussafah and goes drinking on Yas.

The 2 bed terraced townhouses are reasonable quality and plenty big enough for a bachelor pad.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

no facilities there the shop hasnt open yet "coming soon" been there a while. you really need a car each to survive the "remoteness" but then again thats good for some people it depends on where you need to commute to.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

andrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud ofandrewpops has much to be proud of

Thanks in anticipation
I live in Al Reef, I still think its the 2500 villa compound nobody knows about!

Upsides - relatively cheap, facilities (pool, gym) open in two phases, nice expat community, very quiet (compared to Hamdan Street!), active facebook community (1200+ users), everybody keeps themselves to themselves, parking on your front door.

Downsides - Miles from anywhere, 35-45 min commute into two, the f**king flies in the garden, no shops on compound despite 18 months of promises, shocking maintenance on the property so make sure the landlord has a decent maintenance package included.

There is occasional noise from the airport but we hear nothing inside the villa. In terms of choice, Arabian and Desert are the most complete but are coming out (or are out) of contractors warranty. If you rent a property with a garden, these will most likely have it complete. Meditterean is the latest phase (and possible cheapest) but is like living on a 90% complete building site. Contemporary phase is being released Jan onwards and will add a lot more property onto the market. There is a lot of property free in Med phase so don't believe the hype about huge demand.

The Downtown phase (flats) is slowly being released from now....

For rentals - check out the facebook group (direct from landlord) or try Jackie at Pink Property.

Cheers

Last edited by andrewpops; Jan 12th 2012 at 4:42 am. Reason: Typos
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation
We've been in Al Reef since we moved to Abu Dhabi. We like it there, it's quiet. There is feint noise from the airport, but as someone else pointed out, you don't hear anything inside the villas. The first two phases have gym and pool. The shop is nearly complete (fit-out finished, in cleaning/stocking process), There's an Abella at Etihad Plaza until it opens - 5 minute drive.

Yas Island bars are a 10minute Taxi ride.

For us, the only downside is the distance from town. Not so much for me, since I spend the working week in town, I'd rather not head back there at the weekend. But before we had the second motor, Katia found it a bit isolated. However we have a couple of great families to socialize with now, so it's all good.

edit. out utilities are averaging 400dhs a month. small garden, A/C on most of the time.

Last edited by Brains1983; Jan 12th 2012 at 5:45 am. Reason: Utilities
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Brains1983
We've been in Al Reef since we moved to Abu Dhabi. We like it there, it's quiet. There is feint noise from the airport, but as someone else pointed out, you don't hear anything inside the villas. The first two phases have gym and pool. The shop is nearly complete (fit-out finished, in cleaning/stocking process), There's an Abella at Etihad Plaza until it opens - 5 minute drive.

Yas Island bars are a 10minute Taxi ride.

For us, the only downside is the distance from town. Not so much for me, since I spend the working week in town, I'd rather not head back there at the weekend. But before we had the second motor, Katia found it a bit isolated. However we have a couple of great families to socialize with now, so it's all good.

edit. out utilities are averaging 400dhs a month. small garden, A/C on most of the time.
HI, We are just about to move to Downtown Al Reef, from Dubai. Fed up with the drive. Is there a supermarket open yet ? We have just suffered the most horrific chilled water charges in our current apartment Now that you've had a summer in Al Reef, can I ask what you've been paying over the hot season ?
Many thanks.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if someone has any idea of what the last poster asked regarding "chilled water" costs in Reef?

Planning to either move there or remain in Dubai and so would love to hear from anyone who has idea on what the AC charges are like in Reef.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

dohadesertdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Agent who showed me round yesterday told me that her water bill was negligible and that the elec ranged between 400-1000AED pcm throughout the year. This was for a 4 bed villa in Contemporary (new) section of Al Reef
Old Feb 25th 2013, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

meseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura aboutmeseta has a spectacular aura about

I have a 3 bed apartment and have not yet had a a/c bill. I'll post the details when it arrives.
We were in Skycourt Towers before and the chiller costs were astronomical, nothing short of theft. a 2 bed apartment, innexcess of 800-900 a month! And when we left, the 2100 aed deposit was subject to a deduction ( by alpha cooling ) for admin costs ! I was so pleased to be out of there. If you are considering moving in, thinkk carefully. Although the rental is reasonable, the chiller costs make staying there way over the top.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:00 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

It's cheap and of reasonable quality but the maintenance can be an issue.

The Villas are ok, we have a lot of friends living in them without too much fuss.

The Apartments are also ok for the price but the parking situation is appalling and the area has attracted a lot of chavs and pikeys of different nationalities who litter, can't seem to speak without shouting and who park like monkeys. We took an apartment but are already thinking about a villa instead.

It's usually quiet though - just a bit far so you'll have to organise your shopping trips a bit better until they open the shops there.

N.