Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Originally Posted by westendgirl1
Nothing `old school` about that Mr Biggs. Plain r....t springs to mind! He now wants to know if im white, black or brown. No Tokalosh sir `me is not indian` May I now be accepted?
There was nothing racist intended. If you was TCN I was going
To ask you if you wanted some extra hours as my domestic is struggling getting my whites white.
Eish you try and do a gal a favor
Old Feb 4th 2012, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

westendgirl1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
There was nothing racist intended. If you was TCN I was going
To ask you if you wanted some extra hours as my domestic is struggling getting my whites white.
Eish you try and do a gal a favor
Well one thing for sure, im quickly realising fools and bigots are suffered very gladly here.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

perhaps not suffered gladly but it is a free forum,people can leave and do not have to post, i think its called banter.
perhaps people are fed up with political correctness!!!!!!!!! perhaps some of the people who enjoy free speach in the uk should try and go home to perhaps where they came from and shout to see what happens to them,i think we are very tolerant of other culture and other religions
oh yes thats right ,they wouldn't get the free hand outs from the tax payers if they went home.!!!!!!!!!!!
no need to preach to anyone in the uk about P.C.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 1:49 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westendgirl1
Well one thing for sure, im quickly realising fools and bigots are suffered very gladly here.
It's called "humour" and he's taking the piss / winding you up. Of course he's not racist, but an awful lot of people ARE out here. When you arrive you will very very quickly find that the ME is a multi-tiered society based on race first and culture second. It's absolutely appalling, and it is self-perpetuated, but that's the way it works here. You can gripe and moan, but you won't be able to change a thing. In a couple of years you will find yourself making extremely stereotypical racist generic comments, because the generality out here is (PC brigade shoot me now) TRUE.

It even works in reverse. I've good friends who gave up and left as they were (3rd? 4th? gen) British... from Indian stock. Out here they were too British for the Indians (I mean dear god they sweated when they ate curry), and too Indian for the British.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

ooooh its getting almost as tense on here as it is in Bahrain

It winds me up reading the stuff about this attack on this poor guy. Its bloody awful no matter where he is from or who he is. But my reaction is similar to those above - there is no indication that it was a pre-meditated attack on an expat or is to do with the current troubles - they stole his car! And everyone has now gone into meltdown panic that they are going to start yanking us out of our cars in broad daylight because we come from the UK.

And to be controversial what the hell was he doing in that area at 5am in the morning - I havent been here long and I wouldnt bother in the daytime. Knowing what we know about Bahrain (or frankly about every country in the world) seriously - would you get out of your car if 2 men with a sword approached you??

I am not happy that we cant go about our daily lives without having to check whats happening and where is safe to go but I cant abide this panic culture that every thing that now happens here is blamed on the troubles no matter how obviously it isnt.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scubaroo
Ok esteemed bored of wisdom... denial is a virtue, stay with with me here,

Am inbound shortly, very grateful for your current updated tips & thoughts on corners of Bahrain to relocate too??

Say your top 3 or 4? Single man, happy man. Will be all about the work, but would be nice to be close to sim professional/expat set, the fun people. Shortly will be in the hunt for a shiny apartment with nice view, in a nice area but don't mind some life about, good food & music etc, not the places i may need my snorkel... Would be nice to be in an area ok to walk and run after work. Any neighborhoods referred to as 'little Stockholm? by chance? that could be asking too much.

Topping list so far,
Adliya
Mahooz
Diplomatic
Seef? or Reef Is? looks a tad dusty and lonely
Tala/Amwaj looks a little XC90 territory, is it really worth the daily grind/travel to town?

Have been watching the threads for quite sometime now, and due thanks to all of your contributions and sterling banter, I have been warned! Any divers out there? whats the water like further out?

Cheers folks.
It has to be Juffair for you, its safe and has more bars / clubs and football bars than anywhere else on the island, its 8 mins drive into Manama. You can go scuba diving at Coral Beach Club or Marina Beach 1 minute from Juffair and has food street.....so your never go hungry!
Adliya is 3 mins away and nice but apartments are a lot older and tired where as Juffair they are modern with great views.
Forget Diplomatic area, you will never be able to park and comes the weekend its a ghost town, and you will just end up driving into Juffair and Exhibition Road. I lived in Seef 100 for a while has some nice apartments but that is all it has very, very boring unless you like the shopping mall.
Good Luck.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

There is something not quite right about this story in the GDN this morning, as I think the MOI ARE trying to attach him to the unrest out here.

MANAMA: A British man who lost two fingers when he was attacked with a sword in Karranah is to undergo surgery in a bid to have them reattached.

The victim, identified as Peter Morrissey, remains in a stable condition at Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC).

It was initially believed he was attacked at around 2am on Friday after he lost his way and was forced out of his car.

But sources yesterday said he was assaulted by masked youngsters blocking a road as he tried to make his way towards Budaiya Highway.

They said he was attacked after he stopped his car and tried to reason with them.

Sources said Mr Morrissey, who lives in Bahrain but works in Saudi Arabia, was attacked as he left an expatriate club in the Budaiya area.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Scubaroo is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for that MIB! appreciate the heads up. And apologies if I interrupted the *tennis*... you guys!lol

Yes, further into Juffair is looking promising, will be hoping to avoid the Navy set 3am balcony swap if possible. A good place to start the search when I get on ground.

CBC, looks like the spot cheers and a big boat! though I have heard rumours..

Take care all!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinbahrain
There is something not quite right about this story in the GDN this morning, as I think the MOI ARE trying to attach him to the unrest out here.

MANAMA: A British man who lost two fingers when he was attacked with a sword in Karranah is to undergo surgery in a bid to have them reattached.

The victim, identified as Peter Morrissey, remains in a stable condition at Salmaniya Medical Complex (SMC).

It was initially believed he was attacked at around 2am on Friday after he lost his way and was forced out of his car.

But sources yesterday said he was assaulted by masked youngsters blocking a road as he tried to make his way towards Budaiya Highway.

They said he was attacked after he stopped his car and tried to reason with them.

Sources said Mr Morrissey, who lives in Bahrain but works in Saudi Arabia, was attacked as he left an expatriate club in the Budaiya area.
Bladdy hell so he may have white after all. Time to run around like headless chicken yelling "dont panic" in a cpl Jones esque manner
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:11 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Bladdy hell so he may have white after all. Time to run around like headless chicken yelling "dont panic" in a cpl Jones esque manner
European according to GDN http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/NewsD...storyid=323027

But I feel more sorry for the poor bas-t*rd in the second half of the story who got beaten and robbed, and can;t go to the police nor hospital and can't afford the plane fare out of the country!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:26 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved a ton of off-topic posts to another thread and closed it. This is a request to keep any further comments like it away from this thread. I don't like getting out my whip, but will do so if pushed

Thanks .... as you were.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 2:29 pm
womble

Originally Posted by Sue
I don't like getting out my whip, but will do so if pushed
oh no. *whistles quietly to herself whilst waiting for the inevitable....*
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

crazyirish is an unknown quantity at this point

oh yes sorry before i get shot for P.C.
poor guys and GIRLS
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crazyirish
sue,
have you not just done the worst thing, where is our freedom of speach sorry 'free speech'
once you remove that, what was the point of my grandfather losing his life in the second world . was it all for nothing,perhaps we should just bring the troops home and forget the cause of free speech and freedom.
poor guys have lost their lives for nothing!!!!!!!
She who wears the black leather thigh length high heeled boots with chrome heels must be obeyed
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

She who wears the black leather thigh length high heeled boots with chrome heels must be obeyed
Don't argue with her who wears a vest with a towel round her neck....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.