Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Old Sep 23rd 2011, 2:01 pm
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Apparently protests in CityCenter..violence and arrests..Govt Ave. closed going in...
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

I had a text from my mate on the edge of Jid Haffs at 06.30 this morning saying they were blocked in by the police and unable to leave

The police were giving it extra scrutiny at Geant road block this morning and were bussing in quite a few extra guys. That was at 10.00

At 12 I headed from Al Osra down Bud highway past Diraz and there was quite a few Police cars lining up. About 100 metres down the road there was a ruck of school kids 11-13 ish filling their rucksacks with stones and rubble from one of the part constructed buildings by the side of the road so thank F we dont live near Diraz. Also wouldnt want to be in Barbar later

Not heard much over Saar though and the Green zone is tonight peaceful.

Cooked a very nice beer-can Chicken on the braai tonight so all is not lost.

Last edited by Tockalosh; Sep 23rd 2011 at 5:13 pm. Reason: Even worse grammar than usual
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 5:26 pm
Professional expat

Bartowel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Tock. Handy to get some 'intel' on the current and fluid situation.

Was at Al Osra for a kids party today between 4 and 7 (don't ask.....). Lots of police vehicle movement up and down Budaiya Hwy, but nothing happening around the roundabout area. Now sitting in villa, just off Al Osra R/a, and so far all is quiet.... Bit of helicopter activity mid-afternoon, but nothing else could be detected by me or the missus... Will update if things begin to happen.

Good to read of updates here - helps keep a handle on things.
Stay safe everyone.... Might be a night for a few beers in front of the Telly........

Last edited by Bartowel; Sep 23rd 2011 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Shite spelling
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Its great, I think the saudi guys have decided to give Juffair a miss this weekend, it is very quiet for a Friday here ( being the entertainment area and all).
Has it been bad today ?
I suppose tomorrow will be more troubles and then all back to normal on Sunday
I think they have made a big mistake by going into the shopping centre today, the GDN will have a field day tomorrow, I can see the front page heading now.

Rioters frightened children and families out shopping!
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinbahrain
Its great, I think the saudi guys have decided to give Juffair a miss this weekend, it is very quiet for a Friday here ( being the entertainment area and all).
Has it been bad today ?
I suppose tomorrow will be more troubles and then all back to normal on Sunday
I think they have made a big mistake by going into the shopping centre today, the GDN will have a field day tomorrow, I can see the front page heading now.

Rioters frightened children and families out shopping!
Lol just read the GDN over breakfast and yes they frightened shoppers and children
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bartowel
Thanks for the info Tock. Handy to get some 'intel' on the current and fluid situation.

Was at Al Osra for a kids party today between 4 and 7 (don't ask.....). Lots of police vehicle movement up and down Budaiya Hwy, but nothing happening around the roundabout area. Now sitting in villa, just off Al Osra R/a, and so far all is quiet.... Bit of helicopter activity mid-afternoon, but nothing else could be detected by me or the missus... Will update if things begin to happen.

Good to read of updates here - helps keep a handle on things.
Stay safe everyone.... Might be a night for a few beers in front of the Telly........
Glad all well down there, after seeing the school kids loading up on projectiles at Diraz I thought it would have gone a bit daft

Something on facebook about a flash bang landing in someones garden but that was about it plus some goings on in Saar but I didnt hear it from the green zone when slipping out for a fag at commercial break time during survivor
Old Sep 24th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Glad all well down there, after seeing the school kids loading up on projectiles at Diraz I thought it would have gone a bit daft

Something on facebook about a flash bang landing in someones garden but that was about it plus some goings on in Saar but I didnt hear it from the green zone when slipping out for a fag at commercial break time during survivor
No significant levels of teargas blown into the compound at 2330. A lot of action in Diraz and Barbar (well those rocks won't chuck themselves) but otherwise a relatively quiet Friday in the current scheme of things. It seems this could be the state of play for some time so maybe we'd better get used to the routine....
Old Sep 24th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Once again our levels of what is normal drop lower hey Ronnie. Soon we will be shot at and if they miss then that will be normal
Old Oct 6th 2011, 2:29 am
Just Joined

Married2a_Brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: For anyone about to land in Bahrain

Greetings all, I have been reading a lot of what you have written and would appreciate your opinions. First, I may be moving to Bahrain with my job which is located in Juffair. My question is, I have 3 little girls under the age of 3 and I would appreciate your honest opinion if you think it is safe? I really would like for them to experience a new culture.

Second question, if I were to move there, what area would you suggest(Adliya, Juffair, Anwaj Islands?)? Any and all advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 10:02 pm
Wifey Jaf

HayleyJaffrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys

I have read these posts with interest and its ace to see/read honest reviews and opinions.

Myself and my gang (husband and two kids aged 12 & 5) will be moving from Scotland to Bahrain in Feb/Mar, as I've just landed a job there.

Initially I was told that the best place to live was Budaiya or Saar, but all the reports of unrest seem to happening in this area. I'm kind of thinking that if I would like to avoid any displays of violence and do not want my home to smell of Eau De Teargas, then another domestic location would be a good idea!

Someone else has suggested Hamala or Jasra.

This is where you guys come in! As a "no-nonense-lets-not-b*llsh*t" kinda gal fae Aberdeen, I'd seriously appreciate your views as to a better place to park.

I know that there are a couple of you who probably think that I am mental bringing my family when there is a potential for the place to go t*ts up, but - as someone posted earlier - its all about the $$$ and this is essentially what is bringing us here. I obviously don't want to subject my family to any unneccessary risk, so need to find somewhere to live that can enable my kids to play outside without being gassed!

Thanks in advance - I am looking forward to your responses! Colourful is anticipated! :-)

Cheers
Hayley
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:45 am
Professional expat

Hi Hayley,

I currently live in Budaiya / Sar area with my family (I have 2 kids under 5). In recent weeks it has become increasingly restless in this neck-of-the-woods, and over the Island as. Whole. Even spots in town, such as Adliya and Juffair, known to be immune from most of the shananigans have seen their share of protests, teargas and problems. Even if you were to live up in Amwaj ( which is the only place to date that has been immune from the problems, mainly because it is a long way from anywhere), you would probably need to head toward Budaiya / Sar area as that is where some of the better schools / nurseries are located, plus the Rugby and Dilmun clubs ( which are ground zero for a lot of social activities). Read some of the posts on the Ukinbahrain Facebook page about expats having some fairly recent and troubling issues getting about the island.

I have lived in this part of the world for going on for 10 years, with and without kids, and this is the only time I have considered heading out of the region for safety reasons. I am here because the lifestyle offered was better than back home in the UK. But, the money ain't that great, and Bahrain can be expensive in terms of groceries, schools and stuff for the kids to do. The instability is really an issue. We have had to begin to monitor the US Embassy website, as well as Facebook and various forums, along with texts from friends and colleagues to make sure that things are safe before we head out in the car with the kids - and not just safe, but possible, as many roads are blocked, closed or at a standstill due to protests. Not a great way to have to live, especially as most of us are here for a better way of living.

Bottom line and my opinion... I would not risk it here with kids at the moment. I am actively looking for alternative options outside of the region. Bahrain has the very real potential to get far worse before it begins to get any better.

I read that you mentioned it is all about the $$$, but in my opinion, with young kids it really needs a closer look as there are real safety concerns here.

Just my opinion, and I am sure you have looked at all the angles. Many on this forum will agree with me, many will disagree - this is the reason you have asked for opinions, which is a smart move.

Whatever you decide, have a safe and Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 3:53 am
Professional expat

Hi there, I should also add that I have posted previously in this thread - shortly after arriving on the Island in September. Since then, my perspective has changed through experience. Thought I would add this before I get slated for giving contradictory opinions - not contradictory, just revised through experience.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bartowel
Hi there, I should also add that I have posted previously in this thread - shortly after arriving on the Island in September. Since then, my perspective has changed through experience. Thought I would add this before I get slated for giving contradictory opinions - not contradictory, just revised through experience.

Merry Christmas everyone.
No flak for changing mind mate, I think 90% of all sane people have re-evaluated or are re-evaluating their position on Bahrain. The other 10% dont have kids.
Old Dec 19th 2011, 11:42 am
need a new teeshirt

heartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the roughheartofdarkness is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
No flak for changing mind mate, I think 90% of all sane people have re-evaluated or are re-evaluating their position on Bahrain. The other 10% dont have kids.
Unfortunately no one really wants to listen.....
Old Dec 19th 2011, 12:13 pm
Professional expat

Cheers Tock.... I think you are spot-on. Have a good Christmas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.