British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   any rules on compassionate leave during probation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/any-rules-compassionate-leave-during-probation-789226/)

Nellie1584 Mar 3rd 2013 5:11 am

any rules on compassionate leave during probation

hello

Ive only been with my employer 7 weeks and im completely unsure what i can do with regards to compassionate leave during my 6 months probation

Ive tried reading my HR handbook but its very vague, as are the actual HR team and ive got a horrible feeling they are going to tell me i cant go back to the UK.

can anyone help me? any there any hard and fast rules on this?

thanks

Patsy Stoned Mar 3rd 2013 5:16 am

Re: any rules on compassionate leave during probation

Originally Posted by Nellie1584 (Post 10579988)
hello

Ive only been with my employer 7 weeks and im completely unsure what i can do with regards to compassionate leave during my 6 months probation

Ive tried reading my HR handbook but its very vague, as are the actual HR team and ive got a horrible feeling they are going to tell me i cant go back to the UK.

can anyone help me? any there any hard and fast rules on this?

thanks

What are the circumstances? If it is a family bereavement then I am sure you will be able to go....popping back to see a sick relative probably not.

Patsy Stoned Mar 3rd 2013 5:20 am

I found this...........
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...10-09-1.478386

Mourning leave
McGeoch: There is no concept of mourning leave under private sector rules, although, in practice, as a matter of convention and good manners, many companies do in fact grant their employees a few days of paid leave in the event of the death of a close relative.

In the case of civil servants, there is an allowance of five days mourning leave (on full pay) where the death of the employee’s father, mother, son daughter or wife occurs and three days if the event of the death of a more remote relative (grandmother, grandfather etc.) or of a brother or sister.

On the death of her husband, a Muslim woman, who is employed in the public sector, is entitled to a special mourning leave (ida’) of four months and 10 days on full pay. There is no such leave entitlement for married Muslim women employed in the private sector.

Nellie1584 Mar 3rd 2013 5:20 am

my grandad is dying; i had already expected that i wouldnt be able to get back to see him before he passes away however i need to go back for his funeral.

ive heard that my employer has refused in the past and threatened people with termination of employment

Kix Mar 3rd 2013 5:23 am

Welcome to the Middle East Nellie.

commander Mar 3rd 2013 5:29 am

I would question even working for a company that wouldn't allow an employee to attend a family funeral

Nellie1584 Mar 3rd 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10580011)
I would question even working for a company that wouldn't allow an employee to attend a family funeral

believe my ive been questioning my decision every day since my first week at this job but im sort of stuck now :(

i cant think about how naff my job is at the moment; i just need to get home to be with my family, ideally without getting fired

Patsy Stoned Mar 3rd 2013 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Nellie1584 (Post 10580003)
my grandad is dying; i had already expected that i wouldnt be able to get back to see him before he passes away however i need to go back for his funeral.

ive heard that my employer has refused in the past and threatened people with termination of employment

There is also this....I don't know if it is still valid
Emergency Leave

The UAE Labor Law does not provide for emergency leave to private sector workers. Unless the company's by-laws grant emergency leave, the employee will not be entitled to it. If the company's by-laws do not allow this, the leave can be deducted from the annual leave, or considered unpaid leave.

In all cases, the leave must be approved by the employer, otherwise the employer can dismiss the employee on the basis of his absence from work without permission, according to Article 120 of the Labor Law.

The best thing to do would be to ask your boss directly, I guess it will depend on how badly you need this job, if he says no, then you either don't go and keep your job OR you go and look for something else.

I am sure that your Grandfather would not want you to lose your job, maybe you can phone him and say your goodbyes..hard I know, but.......

Nellie1584 Mar 3rd 2013 6:51 am

Just been informed by HR that I can have 1 day leave; obviously not enough time to get back to the uk for a funeral :(

Spugsy Mar 3rd 2013 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Nellie1584 (Post 10580003)

Unless they are real wankers you'd most likely get unpaid leave.

Spugsy Mar 3rd 2013 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Nellie1584 (Post 10580091)
Just been informed by HR that I can have 1 day leave; obviously not enough time to get back to the uk for a funeral :(

Just go anyway, explain it and go.

Roadking Mar 3rd 2013 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Nellie1584 (Post 10580091)

Have you tried applying for unpaid leave? Not a nice situation but it is one of the costs of living overseas, not easy to get back quickly. Depending on where in the UK, I have done a there and back in 24 hours, not fun but doable.

britexpat76 Mar 3rd 2013 7:08 am

A funeral on a friday would help.

Millhouse Mar 3rd 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 10580095)
Just go anyway, explain it and go.

Exactly. Deal with the problem when you return, through a combination of (i) ignorance, (ii) anger, and (iii) being nice.

Nellie1584 Mar 3rd 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10580130)
Exactly. Deal with the problem when you return, through a combination of (i) ignorance, (ii) anger, and (iii) being nice.

Work have my passport. I kicked up a fuss when they took it on my first day but they refused to return it

I'm going to speak to my direct line manager and see if she can authorise unpaid leave.
I had already asked HR but I might get a different answer this time