Reload this Page >

any rules on compassionate leave during probation

any rules on compassionate leave during probation

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

Nellie1584 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any rules on compassionate leave during probation

hello

Ive only been with my employer 7 weeks and im completely unsure what i can do with regards to compassionate leave during my 6 months probation

Ive tried reading my HR handbook but its very vague, as are the actual HR team and ive got a horrible feeling they are going to tell me i cant go back to the UK.

can anyone help me? any there any hard and fast rules on this?

thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any rules on compassionate leave during probation

Originally Posted by Nellie1584
hello

Ive only been with my employer 7 weeks and im completely unsure what i can do with regards to compassionate leave during my 6 months probation

Ive tried reading my HR handbook but its very vague, as are the actual HR team and ive got a horrible feeling they are going to tell me i cant go back to the UK.

can anyone help me? any there any hard and fast rules on this?

thanks
What are the circumstances? If it is a family bereavement then I am sure you will be able to go....popping back to see a sick relative probably not.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

I found this...........
http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...10-09-1.478386

Mourning leave
McGeoch: There is no concept of mourning leave under private sector rules, although, in practice, as a matter of convention and good manners, many companies do in fact grant their employees a few days of paid leave in the event of the death of a close relative.

In the case of civil servants, there is an allowance of five days mourning leave (on full pay) where the death of the employee’s father, mother, son daughter or wife occurs and three days if the event of the death of a more remote relative (grandmother, grandfather etc.) or of a brother or sister.

On the death of her husband, a Muslim woman, who is employed in the public sector, is entitled to a special mourning leave (ida’) of four months and 10 days on full pay. There is no such leave entitlement for married Muslim women employed in the private sector.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

my grandad is dying; i had already expected that i wouldnt be able to get back to see him before he passes away however i need to go back for his funeral.

ive heard that my employer has refused in the past and threatened people with termination of employment
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:23 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the Middle East Nellie.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:29 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I would question even working for a company that wouldn't allow an employee to attend a family funeral
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by commander
I would question even working for a company that wouldn't allow an employee to attend a family funeral
believe my ive been questioning my decision every day since my first week at this job but im sort of stuck now

i cant think about how naff my job is at the moment; i just need to get home to be with my family, ideally without getting fired
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

my grandad is dying; i had already expected that i wouldnt be able to get back to see him before he passes away however i need to go back for his funeral.

ive heard that my employer has refused in the past and threatened people with termination of employment
There is also this....I don't know if it is still valid
Emergency Leave

The UAE Labor Law does not provide for emergency leave to private sector workers. Unless the company's by-laws grant emergency leave, the employee will not be entitled to it. If the company's by-laws do not allow this, the leave can be deducted from the annual leave, or considered unpaid leave.

In all cases, the leave must be approved by the employer, otherwise the employer can dismiss the employee on the basis of his absence from work without permission, according to Article 120 of the Labor Law.

The best thing to do would be to ask your boss directly, I guess it will depend on how badly you need this job, if he says no, then you either don't go and keep your job OR you go and look for something else.

I am sure that your Grandfather would not want you to lose your job, maybe you can phone him and say your goodbyes..hard I know, but.......
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Just been informed by HR that I can have 1 day leave; obviously not enough time to get back to the uk for a funeral
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:53 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they are real wankers you'd most likely get unpaid leave.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:54 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Just been informed by HR that I can have 1 day leave; obviously not enough time to get back to the uk for a funeral
Just go anyway, explain it and go.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:57 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried applying for unpaid leave? Not a nice situation but it is one of the costs of living overseas, not easy to get back quickly. Depending on where in the UK, I have done a there and back in 24 hours, not fun but doable.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:08 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

A funeral on a friday would help.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Just go anyway, explain it and go.
Exactly. Deal with the problem when you return, through a combination of (i) ignorance, (ii) anger, and (iii) being nice.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Exactly. Deal with the problem when you return, through a combination of (i) ignorance, (ii) anger, and (iii) being nice.
Work have my passport. I kicked up a fuss when they took it on my first day but they refused to return it

I'm going to speak to my direct line manager and see if she can authorise unpaid leave.
I had already asked HR but I might get a different answer this time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.