Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any problems for me returning to work in UAE

Any problems for me returning to work in UAE

Old Mar 21st 2011, 10:57 am
Just Joined

CatherineS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any problems for me returning to work in UAE

I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here so I am hoping someone can answer my question. Worked in AD on the usual 3 year visa but left after 18 months without cancelling visa. I believe this is automatically cancelled if you do not return within 6 months. Everything was settled so no debts left except 10,000 Dir relocation allowance to employer - I even managed to get refund back to employer.
Would I be listed as an 'absconder' or would I be able to return, if the right opportunity comes up, without any problems.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any problems for me returning to work in UAE

Originally Posted by CatherineS
I know there are some very knowledgeable people on here so I am hoping someone can answer my question. Worked in AD on the usual 3 year visa but left after 18 months without cancelling visa. I believe this is automatically cancelled if you do not return within 6 months. Everything was settled so no debts left except 10,000 Dir relocation allowance to employer - I even managed to get refund back to employer.
Would I be listed as an 'absconder' or would I be able to return, if the right opportunity comes up, without any problems.
Perhaps contact HR and ask? If you gave them a full refund i can't see why there would be a problem and it would be best to get it sorted before you got back here.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 11:20 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Best thing to do is check with your former employer first and contact a local lawyer who can check with the police if you have been put on any lists or not.

N.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Even though your Residency Visa has 'Technically Expired,' and/or your have been out of the UAE for more than six months, you will still have to Cancel your Visa Formally! It is worthwhile checking with your former Human Remain Department, as you may have incurred an Automatic Ban.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:25 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackthehat
Even though your Residency Visa has 'Technically Expired,' and/or your have been out of the UAE for more than six months, you will still have to Cancel your Visa Formally! It is worthwhile checking with your former Human Remain Department, as you may have incurred an Automatic Ban.
I flew back into Abu Dhabi after 9 months and they told me that my visa had not been cancelled.....they just did it there and then at immigration
Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I flew back into Abu Dhabi after 9 months and they told me that my visa had not been cancelled.....they just did it there and then at immigration
was thinking of you when I saw this!
Old Mar 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get a lawyer to follow this up for you, a letter from your old employer clearing you of any obligations etc etc.

Even if the employer is satisfied, they may have forgotten to notify the authorities that you have settled your debts.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

CatherineS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the good advice folks