Reload this Page >

Any point in searching for ME jobs at the moment

Any point in searching for ME jobs at the moment

Old Jul 16th 2009, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

UK PM 81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any point in searching for ME jobs at the moment

Hi folks,

Long time reader but choosen to join now.

Can anyone offer me advice please.

Im 27, no family ties, 6 yrs approx. project mngt experience, good degree, i have APM & PRINCE2 qualification and working towards CEng.
Delivered a few projects now. Systems related + doing a small civils project.

Whats the chances of me getting a job anywhere in the ME - UAE/QATAR would be good.

I have contacted Reed UAE and given them my cv. Not holding my breath!

Any suggestions, advice and info - gratefully recieved.

PS. Im on £44k currently and would like to better that.

cheers....
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any point in searching for ME jobs at the moment

usual case of its better to be out here and looking than based in the UK.

Agencies get CVs by the truckload, only if they are desperate will they look at anyone outside the ME - with the present situation, lots of people that have been laid off are already desperate for a new position.

You may get lucky, but don't hold your breath. Best to come out here for a 'holiday' and get yourself around the agencies, to give yourself a better chance.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Admon,

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about planning a wee trip out. However Ramadhan is approaching and im led to believe that everything goes into lockdown for 5 weeks. Possibly Dec might be a good time to visit?

I get the impression that things have really slowed down, reminescent of everywhere. Recruitment consultants will let you here what you want.

Do you reckon that things will pick up in Q4?

rgds.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

WaqasKhawaja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK PM 81
Admon,

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking about planning a wee trip out. However Ramadhan is approaching and im led to believe that everything goes into lockdown for 5 weeks. Possibly Dec might be a good time to visit?

I get the impression that things have really slowed down, reminescent of everywhere. Recruitment consultants will let you here what you want.

rgds.
Hi mate,

im going to UAE at the end of aug and will be looking into finding a job while im there. TBH the advise above is gold! go on a holiday and then apply for jobs.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

Hi folks,

Long time reader but choosen to join now.

Can anyone offer me advice please.

Im 27, no family ties, 6 yrs approx. project mngt experience, good degree, i have APM & PRINCE2 qualification and working towards CEng.
Delivered a few projects now. Systems related + doing a small civils project.

Whats the chances of me getting a job anywhere in the ME - UAE/QATAR would be good.

I have contacted Reed UAE and given them my cv. Not holding my breath!

Any suggestions, advice and info - gratefully recieved.

PS. Im on £44k currently and would like to better that.

cheers....

I am led to believe there is ample work in qatar, oman ..saudi and kuwait is booming, dribs and drabs in Abu Dhabi, not sure about Bahrain whilst Dubai...errrr....nuff said !

Defo helps being over here to move into job quicker but still expect them to be painfulyl slow! However you should be able to utilise the reputable online uk recruitment companies to gauge the market also.

Wherever you go - your level of rent will primarily dictate how good your package actually is - comparatively to what you are getting currently in the UK. best of luck !
Old Jul 17th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

i keep getting propa.... er... articles through how the magic kingdom is not suffering at all and is leading in terms of recruitment in the GCC.

but as said... go out there on a holiday... i do it's every three months to have a look, i have to admit it's starting to pick up in my field a little now, but if i had moved out there last nov like i planned i'd have been screwed.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Admon,

Thanks for the reply.

rgds.
December would be as good a time as any to come.

The dust is still settling from a lot of the early year meltdown and the panic that went with it.

I would hope that by the end of the year, companies will be looking at more realistic medium/long term plans.

As other posters have suggested, there has been a marked shift towards people looking at Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi for anything construction related as those are the places still rolling out infrastructure and construction projects (albeit some on a much slower roll out).

There is stuff in Dubai still, buildings are still going up, the various phases of the metro are continuing and life does still go on.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

re: Dubai and state of construction

word is that the instruction (unofficial decree ?) is for all (tower) developments to be completed for a minimum aesthetic pleasing finish so it looks like the buildings are complete, regardless of the state of the outstanding works to the interior, MEP side of the build. So in effect you have waves of buildings which do not make Dubai look like a half finished city to tourists, buisness people etc etc......
Old Jul 17th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja
Hi mate,

im going to UAE at the end of aug and will be looking into finding a job while im there. TBH the advise above is gold! go on a holiday and then apply for jobs.
Khawaja sahib - you in the field of PM also?
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice

Originally Posted by WaqasKhawaja
Hi mate,

Hope you get something - though might be difficult, Ramadan starts around 20th August for 28 days, I believe a lot of places work short hours during that time.

Also for December job scouting - check out the UAE public holidays, there were a few last December, National Day is 2nd December so nearly everything closed for 2 days then, also 18th December is Islamic New Year, so further closures!

I will keep my fingers crossed that both of you find something, it is a great country to be in!