Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any experience of expat marriage in Abu Dhabi?

Any experience of expat marriage in Abu Dhabi?

Old Jan 28th 2018, 3:48 am
Too
Just Joined

Too is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems quite straightforward compared to the multiple hurdles of getting married in Dubai.

Residents of the UAE, regardless of their religions, nationalities or backgrounds, may get married at� Abu Dhabi� Judicial Department (ADJD) as it is the official entity responsible for issuing marriage certificates in Abu Dhabi. Muslims can perform the marriage ceremonies at the ADJD or with a religious clerk at home.
Preconditions
Bride’s guardian's approval for the marriage. In case of the father's absence, the closest next-of-kin male can be the guardian, and in certain exceptional cases, the cleric sheikh himself� may assume the guardian's� role.
Bride and groom� have to be� residents in the UAE.
Required Documents
Birth certificate.
Original passports and copies of the residence visas.
A marital� status certificate stating whether the applicant is divorced, single or widowed� attested either in the applicant’s home country (by the respective foreign ministry and the UAE consulate) or in the UAE (by the applicant’s consulate and the UAE Foreign Ministry).
Pre-marital Mutual Check Certificate.
As requirements might vary from one situation to another, it is important for the couple to consult their countries' missions in the UAE to get additional details about the requirements.
Once the above requirements along with the marriage application are submitted to the Abu Dhabi Judicial Department, marriage can be officially performed with the presence of two witnesses. The marriage certificate will be issued within a couple of days.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs... can't edit the post cos I'm a noob and can't post a link either. But it's from the Abu Dhabi government website.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 28th 2018 at 4:14 pm. Reason: Posts merged - editing is nothing to do with being a 'noob', any member can only edit a post 2 hours after posting it. HTH.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any experience of expat marriage in Abu Dhabi?

I did not do it myself, but looked into it, and I know numerous others who have done it. It is not difficult, and that goes for Expat-Expat non-religious wedding, or Expat-Expat Islamic wedding.