Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

any expats living and working in Bahrain ??

any expats living and working in Bahrain ??

Old Oct 27th 2002, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any expats living and working in Bahrain ??

I've been offered a job there, bit worried about going ....8 month old kid, wife would all be coming as well. Any problems out there ? Life good ?
Old Oct 29th 2002, 5:34 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Beats the hell out of SA and Qatar. I was there for R 'n R and a visa run, and compared to Qatar it was paradise. It's a reasonably normal place, as seen by the thousands of Saudis who pile across the causeway on the 'weekend' to get drunk - well as normal as it gets in this bit of the Middle East. I would sum up working in the ME as: you will get a lot richer (otherwise, no point in you going), you will have a boring but easy work life, you will suffer badly if you like western living (good pubs and bars, plenty of interesting people and things to do) and you will appreciate a minimum 6 weeks holiday a year more than you'll ever appreciate it elsewhere. But Bahrain is as good as it gets, UAE not far behind.
Old Oct 31st 2002, 7:16 am
Just Joined

ardschenk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

I wonder also about living in Bahrain, there is a possible opening in Saudia but that doesn't seem the place to be with a family. Have seen a bit of Dubai. Appreciated that very much. Is there somebody who lived in Singapore (like I did) and has Bahrain exp. I would like to be able to compare both.
Old Nov 4th 2002, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: any expats living and working in Bahrain ??

Originally posted by onlyme
I've been offered a job there, bit worried about going ....8 month old kid, wife would all be coming as well. Any problems out there ? Life good ?

Hi
If the moneys what you want and you have a married contract give it a go. You can always leave if you don`t like it! Life is fine here if you are with your family and Bahrain is very liberal and open. Who knows what will happen in the future, but it seems to me that this might be one of the safer places to be these days!!
Susan
Old Nov 4th 2002, 5:49 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ardschenk
I wonder also about living in Bahrain, there is a possible opening in Saudia but that doesn't seem the place to be with a family. Have seen a bit of Dubai. Appreciated that very much. Is there somebody who lived in Singapore (like I did) and has Bahrain exp. I would like to be able to compare both.
Re Bahrain vs Singapore: despite Singapore's somewhat rigid social set-up, it's much more of a place where you can do whatever you feel like than Bahrain. Singapore = celebration of diversity, great eats and entertainment, chance to make real Singaporean friends, vibrant. Bahrain = straitjacket, not bad if you fall in with a good expat crowd, forget meeting Bahrainis it just isn't going to happen in a productive way.

You should be paid a lot more in Bahrain as compensation for it being a pretty awful place to live (esp when the straitjacket gets to you).
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jezza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Don,

You seem to have a big thing against Qatar. I was looking at opportunities in Dubai recently and have been contacted about possibly going to Qatar.

I have lived in Malaysia, India and most recently for 3 years in Singapore. I loved Malaysia and Singapore and would like to know more about what I might not like in Doha. What did you not like about Qatar? What do they mean 'dry state' if you can buy booze?

Do you have any idea of the cost of cars/accommodation in Doha compared to Dubai?

Any info would me much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jezza is an unknown quantity at this point

How does this thread get nearly 1,500 views but only 5 replys?