Reload this Page >

Any Brits in Lebanon?

Any Brits in Lebanon?

Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

puntoboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Brits in Lebanon?

Hi guys...

Well, my original plan was to head to Oz not so long ago, but, with the whole visa process and lack of jobs in my industry over there, I didn't get quite that far, but far enough to enjoy a new way of life - in Lebanon!

I've been here for about 6 weeks now, and I LOVE it!

I just wondered if there are any other Brits in the Beirut / Mount Lebanon Governorate area (what the heck, or anywhere else in Lebanon for that matter) who would like to get together sometime for a coffee or exchange messages on here about experiences/living in Lebanon? I'm still new here so I am hoping to meet some new people!

I apologise to the admins in advance if this sort of thing (get togethers and like) are not supposed to be arranged on the forum. But if it is all okay, message me or reply to this thread and we'll sort something out!

Thanks,

Ste.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Brits in Lebanon?

Originally Posted by puntoboy View Post
Hi guys...

Well, my original plan was to head to Oz not so long ago, but, with the whole visa process and lack of jobs in my industry over there, I didn't get quite that far, but far enough to enjoy a new way of life - in Lebanon!

I just wondered if there are any other Brits in the Beirut / Mount Lebanon Governorate area (what the heck, or anywhere else in Lebanon for that matter) who would like to get together sometime for a coffee or exchange messages on here about experiences/living in Lebanon? I'm still new here so I am hoping to meet some new people!

I apologise to the admins in advance if this sort of thing (get togethers and like) are not supposed to be arranged on the forum. But if it is all okay, message me or reply to this thread and we'll sort something out!

Thanks,

Ste.
Hey, sounds like quite an adventure being in Beiruit...

An old buddy of mine runs a pub in Beiruit - the BullDog. Has a fairly mixed clientelle of expats & Lebos.

If you PM me I can send you his contact details.

Have fun, stay safe.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

give us the BE guide to Lebanon life then..

What is it like?
What to do?
Many other expats/other nationalities there?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 6:54 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys...

Thanks,

Ste.
I'm english and had a week trip over there 2 weeks back, it was ace.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie View Post
Hey, sounds like quite an adventure being in Beiruit...

An old buddy of mine runs a pub in Beiruit - the BullDog. Has a fairly mixed clientelle of expats & Lebos.

If you PM me I can send you his contact details.

Have fun, stay safe.
Thanks Shakh your bootie! I've just dropped you a line!
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by admon View Post
give us the BE guide to Lebanon life then..

What is it like?
What to do?
Many other expats/other nationalities there?
Well, personally, I love it here! Beirut has real character behind it. When I told my family and friends I was moving here - instantly I got the old 'Beirut? It's not very safe over there!' response, which is not true at the moment, things are somewhere near stable right now and I feel much safer here than I do in the UK (though you can never tell what is around the corner unfortunately) - on a personal level, I can walk pretty much anywhere in Beirut at any time and still feel remarkably safe!

Naturally, there are places that are best avoided. These are the type of places though that you would never have any reason to visit.

One thing that stands out is the warmth of the Lebanese - really nice, friendly and interesting people. Everyone seems eager to know about what you think of Lebanon and love to hear the stories of why you're in their country.

As for things to do... there is everything going on here at the moment! It is the perfect time for skiing right now up in the mountains and there are plenty of live events to see for music lovers! For instance, DJ Tiesto plays in the city tomorrow, Pamela Anderson is hosting an event with a fair few famous DJs tonight and James Blunt played here a couple of weeks back! The nightlife is great, there are soooo many bars and clubs, and plenty of places to eat out! I haven't been bored yet!

I think the problem with people's opinions of Lebanon is, as soon as something bad happens here, the BBC, CNN, Reuters etc are here reporting about it, but when things happen for the positive, it doesn't make the news - so the old image of Lebanon lives in on many people's minds when it really has moved on!

As far as other expats are concerned, I have met very very few. I know a few Brits through work but as far as I'm aware, we are very low in numbers here, I happened by chance to bump into one or two Americans, but other than that - it seems to be very quiet here on the Expat front - which is why I am here looking for you all!

Have a great weekend BEs, and I'll try to log on over the weekend to respond to your messages, if not this weekend, definately next week

Ste.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:26 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Do you play rugby?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 7:29 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Well, personally, I love it here! Beirut has real character behind it. When I told my family and friends I was moving here - instantly I got the old 'Beirut? It's not very safe over there!' response, which is not true at the moment, things are somewhere near stable right now and I feel much safer here than I do in the UK (though you can never tell what is around the corner unfortunately) - on a personal level, I can walk pretty much anywhere in Beirut at any time and still feel remarkably safe!

Naturally, there are places that are best avoided. These are the type of places though that you would never have any reason to visit.

One thing that stands out is the warmth of the Lebanese - really nice, friendly and interesting people. Everyone seems eager to know about what you think of Lebanon and love to hear the stories of why you're in their country.

As for things to do... there is everything going on here at the moment! It is the perfect time for skiing right now up in the mountains and there are plenty of live events to see for music lovers! For instance, DJ Tiesto plays in the city tomorrow, Pamela Anderson is hosting an event with a fair few famous DJs tonight and James Blunt played here a couple of weeks back! The nightlife is great, there are soooo many bars and clubs, and plenty of places to eat out! I haven't been bored yet!

I think the problem with people's opinions of Lebanon is, as soon as something bad happens here, the BBC, CNN, Reuters etc are here reporting about it, but when things happen for the positive, it doesn't make the news - so the old image of Lebanon lives in on many people's minds when it really has moved on!

As far as other expats are concerned, I have met very very few. I know a few Brits through work but as far as I'm aware, we are very low in numbers here, I happened by chance to bump into one or two Americans, but other than that - it seems to be very quiet here on the Expat front - which is why I am here looking for you all!

Have a great weekend BEs, and I'll try to log on over the weekend to respond to your messages, if not this weekend, definately next week

Ste.
Wow,....Have you thought about counselling?
Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:57 pm