Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any advice.....please...nursing in AbuDhabi..

Any advice.....please...nursing in AbuDhabi..

Old Apr 20th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

CatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the rough
Default Any advice.....please...nursing in AbuDhabi..

I am hoping that someone out there can answer my questions that I don't seem to be getting answers for.......

I have contacted a nursing agency, to work in AbuDhabi. They have emailed back saying yes they could definitely find me a job (I am an ICU nurse). And also offer me a good relocation package. They have also said in their email that I will initially have a 3 month probation period on a work visa, then would gain residency for the 3 years.

What we was hoping that my husband, my 2 cats, 1 dog and of course myself would all go over together on the same day, but if I'm on a work visa, is this possible??

The nursing agency is aware I want my husband to join me, although they have said that he wouldn't be entitled to any benefits until I have worked the 3 months. Does this mean that he can't stop in the same accommodation as me?? Do the agencies usually home you in one of the hospitals houses?? Or in a house where you can stay for the duration of the contract.

My husband and I are trying to discuss all the different options as I don't want to go to the middle east for 3 months on my own, I wanted to start up home straight away. I have looked on so many websites it's all becoming as clear as mud now, and as it's bank holiday I cannot contact the agency as they are based in UK. So I am just hoping someone out there can offer words of wisdom to put our minds at rest. Thanks so much xx
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice.....please...nursing in AbuDhabi..

For you all to arrive on the same day will not be possible I dont think. For you and your husband, yes. I am not sure about your pets. Most people relocating here go into hotels first.

On entering the UAE you will both come in on a tourist visa. He will remain on a tourist visa until you complete your probation (he will have to do a visa run every 30 days - no biggie - common here). By the end of the 3 months you will have your residency visa, so then he can get his. Your employers will arrange and sponsor his residency visa.

As mentioned, it is likley you be put up in a hotel or similar until you can move into your new home, although this varies tremendously according to each pacakge offered. For your home, some employers provide housing, but most give you an allowance to find your own. Again, check with the agency what the deal is with you. Be warned - setting up home is a lot of hassle here, but we all have to do it, and once it is done you can relax. Most places are rented unfurnished, paying 12 months rent up front.

Your husband should be able to come out with you, unless it is female only nurses quarters or something. Once you move into your home, then you can look at getting your pets out. Allow 4 - 6 weeks for this (or maybe less). Only alternative is to kennel them here on arrival, but I'd wait until your probation period is complete.

The reference to benefits refers to medical insurance and education allowances I think. You will need to arrange his medical cover for 3 months, although i would recommend you negotiate this to be included in your package. worth a try.

Good luck!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:17 pm
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure that a wife can sponsor her husband unless they are of a certain professional standing - or had this changed?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:28 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
I'm not so sure that a wife can sponsor her husband unless they are of a certain professional standing - or had this changed?
It is more flexible than in the past and depends on the woman's income. Above a certain level and with a half-decent PRO it shouldn't be an issue. It's something the OP needs to clarify before accepting a position though.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I'm note sure she can either, but I am pretty sure her new employer can sponsor him instead. I checked with my female colleagues who have non-working spouses (one is an ICU nurse by a weird coincidence) - the "firm" sponsor their husbands too because they can't. But I agree with meow, OP should check.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

mummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the roughmummy2dolly is a jewel in the rough

The first time we were in Abu Dhabi I came through an agency and worked in the ICU at SKMC. They would have provided accomodation, but it was in a shared apartment in a hospital acomodation building and as I was coming to join my dh who was already here I declined that and put my name down to recieve a housing allowance instead... Which I got, eventually, but which wouldn't have been enough to cover the cost of anywhere big enough to house a family.... This was 7 years ago now though, so things have most probably completely changed!!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

CatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replys. I actually managed to speak with the agency. They told me that I would have to go over on a work visa for 3 months and stop in nurses accommodation on my own. My husband could go over to AD on a visit visa for 30 days, and stop in a hotel, then extend the visa after the 30 days. They told me that 'realistically' my residency visa could come through after a month, when my husband and I could rent a house together, and for him to receive benefits.

But unfortunatly after speaking with the agency, they can not offer me anything better than I get in the uk, if anything we would be worse off. Pity they didn't tell me this on first contacting them, but when it came down to the brass tacks, actually what they advertise and tell you is completely different to what you will actually get!

So our dream of living in AD was shattered in a 30 minute conversation !

But thankyou for your posts with information. X
Old Apr 24th 2011, 2:06 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Nurses is one of those professions