Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any Abu Dhabi-based boat owners here?

Any Abu Dhabi-based boat owners here?

Old Jun 22nd 2014, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Any Abu Dhabi-based boat owners here?

If so, does anyone know if there is any form of boat-recovery service here, someone who will come and tow you back to the marina if your boat engine stops working? I've heard different stories about whether the coast guard will do this or not, and I've yet to come across any company which will provide this service.

It's not happened to me yet (Insha’Allah...) but I've had this discussion a few times with other boat-owning friends, and none of us really know what the solution is. Anyone know?

thanks.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Abu Dhabi-based boat owners here?

Thanks, Norm.
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

probably, the same as you do in the desert. You phone a friend, give your GPS coordinate, and wait...
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
If so, does anyone know if there is any form of boat-recovery service here, someone who will come and tow you back to the marina if your boat engine stops working? I've heard different stories about whether the coast guard will do this or not, and I've yet to come across any company which will provide this service.

It's not happened to me yet (Insha’Allah...) but I've had this discussion a few times with other boat-owning friends, and none of us really know what the solution is. Anyone know?

thanks.
nope not that i have heard... the coastguard may tow you back but it will just depend on .....??? at the time
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 12:25 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

in Muscat we all just used to call our trailer guy (dry dock much much easier than wet dock) who would get one of his fishing mates to come get if stuck, and give a tow... or if we were too heavy then they would call the coast guard for us
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
My boat owner friends tend to call each other if stuck or call the Coast Guard - no particular person or service was recommended.

N.
Thanks - which implies that the Coast Guard might actually help...
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
Thanks - which implies that the Coast Guard might actually help...
they may they may not, they are not RAC you know... now you have a transponder which they only introduced a couple or so years ago etc
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

kaz911 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no boat recovery services - like there are no good boat mechanics ..

but if you are in trouble - the Coast Guard will usually tow you if you are nice and polite and have not been drinking (too much). Else you have to rely on your "local" harbour to come out and get you or someone else passing by.

If someone else tows you - remember to tip them well for fuel and time and agree it with them before a tow-line is attached. (We agree I'll pay your fuel for towing me back) - international marine salvage rules are a bit open to abuse .....

The Red button on your Transponder is supposed to raise the "alarm" with the coast guard - but it works best if you can call them on 996 and THEN press the red button if they ask you to. Response might take a while (30 min - 3 hours dependent on where you are) as 996 main office have to "transport" your message onto the "local" Coast Guard Operations (see below)

If you are in Abu Dhabi you can call the Local Coast Guard operations on 02 655 1666 - that usually cut down service time to half the above stated time. Usually they speak better English than 996....