Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another U-turn on Class 2 NICs

Another U-turn on Class 2 NICs

Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

frequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to allfrequentflyer1234 is a name known to all
Default Re: Another U-turn on Class 2 NICs

I just managed to make up 9 qualifying years of Class 3 contributions, some full some partial years. It was fairly painless but pretty slow. I did it by sending the NI38 form and then paying by bank transfer.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sicklyman
I highly recommend getting a pension forecast online for free from

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

used to be you'd have to write to them and wait a couple of months. Now you can see the plain truth instantly.
ouch - my overpayments have not been processed correctly. thanks for that
Old Sep 10th 2018, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

robUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the roughrobUK81 is a jewel in the rough

I have been in the USA since 2013 and just recently applied to pay class 2 contributions. Of course I was denied and told that I am not considered as normally employed or self-employed whilst in the UK and therefore cannot pay the class 2 rate. They offered class 3 at £14.65 per week.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 7:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I highly recommend getting a pension forecast online for free from

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

used to be you'd have to write to them and wait a couple of months. Now you can see the plain truth instantly.
Ooh, I have 8 years of contributions.

Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't paid any since mid 2006...

Can even remember my NI number.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Can even remember my NI number.
I'm sure I've got it here somewhere with your credit card details. Let me see if I can dig it out.
Old Sep 11th 2018, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the NI wallahs to check what your number is. Do it. And do your best to be accepted as a legit Class 2 customer Worth it !
Old Sep 12th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I've got it here somewhere with your credit card details. Let me see if I can dig it out.
nope. Sorry. Turns out it was in a batch of stuff I sold to someone from Moldova.
Old Sep 12th 2018, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post! Very interesting. I didn't know about the possibility of paying Class 2 NICs as an expat. Page 12 of this fascinating document seems to set out the criteria: https://assets.publishing.service.go...NI38_12_17.pdf

From a quick glance, it looks like if you were working in the UK for 3 years, before leaving the UK, and then went to work overseas then the joy of class 2 NIC eligibility awaits.

Not fully digested but seems like an absolute no brainer investment for those of us who are expats and still need to get a couple of decades of national insurance contributions to max out our state pensions....
Old Sep 12th 2018, 6:15 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat
Great post! Very interesting. I didn't know about the possibility of paying Class 2 NICs as an expat. Page 12 of this fascinating document seems to set out the criteria: https://assets.publishing.service.go...NI38_12_17.pdf

From a quick glance, it looks like if you were working in the UK for 3 years, before leaving the UK, and then went to work overseas then the joy of class 2 NIC eligibility awaits.

Not fully digested but seems like an absolute no brainer investment for those of us who are expats and still need to get a couple of decades of national insurance contributions to max out our state pensions....
Watch out for this Class 2 eligibility criteria: "immediately before going abroad you were ordinarily an employed or selfemployed earner in the UK". I recall that HMRC interpret this requirement as being no more than a week's gap between UK and overseas employment. So, again, watch the dates when you fill in the form...
Old Sep 12th 2018, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife was approved for class 2 last year despite not working for 10 years after we moved to the US due to H4 visa. She worked up until we moved.

They are allowing her class 2 from the date she started working in the US (after Green Card).
Old Sep 17th 2018, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I better check this out after reading this post. The trouble is I haven't used my NI number in 13 years and have no idea what it is and have zero UK paperwork to find out. So I called them up and after 10 minutes talking to an automated bot which kept telling me to refer to the website and then 20 mins on hold I spoke to a nice scouse lady. After a bit of a memory test with regards to old postcodes she said she's found me...... but she couldn't tell me it over the phone but could post it out...... so I gave her my mum's address to send it to..... which seems a bit crazy. She can't tell me it on the phone but can post it to a completely random address....
Old Sep 17th 2018, 11:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by jam25mack
She can't tell me it on the phone but can post it to a completely random address....
I did the same when trying to register to vote. Nightmare but hang onto it, I've lost mine again.
Old Sep 20th 2018, 5:10 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taz786
I've been out of the UK since 2011 and haven't paid any National Insurance since.

To back-track, would I qualify for Class 3 voluntary payments? I haven't informed any government agencies that I am working abroad. Will the above affect and will they ask questions?
@Taz786 you can pay your Class 2 NI retrospectively for up to six years. However, you have to be accepted on the scheme first and like someone said it will take some time and paperwork.

Get in touch with these people and they will put you in the right direction:

Future Pension Center:
Telephone number +44 191 218 3600
Email: [email protected]

Newcastle Pension Center (International Group):
Telephone number: 44 191 218 7777
Email: [email protected]

Good luck!
Old Sep 23rd 2018, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
I did the same when trying to register to vote. Nightmare but hang onto it, I've lost mine again.
Doh. Mine arrived at my mothers house yesterday. Have saved it in several places!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.