Reload this Page >

Another Saudi Salary question!

Another Saudi Salary question!

Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Donna2805 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Another Saudi Salary question!

Hello everyone,

I have been reading through the packages people discuss on here and am beginning to feel a bit anxious.

I have currently accepted a post in Tabuk.

My package is

16000 SAR per month
Free accommodation
Free Healthcare
Free schooling
3 flights home a year or to another 'holiday' destination

In the uk my job, bearing in mind my experience, would normally afford me about 26k before tax.

My wife will join me later and will also be given the benefits but without the salary of course. We may even try for children out there.

Therefore there will be three stages whilst out there.

1. just myself
2. myself and my wife
3. myself, my wife and 1 child.

Will this be enough to save money at each stage as this is pretty much the sole reason for going out there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Saudi Salary question!

people can save on that but we don't know enough about your lifestyle to determine whether you can. It's not a stellar package and you would be wise to find out exactly what kind of accommodation they're offering.

Tabuk is far enough away from everything to keep you from the expensive temptations of, say, a trip to Bahrain. It may depend a lot on what you do in the holidays. If you are tempted to travel, you could easily blow your savings each time you leave the Kingdom. Many do this as a form of therapy for the time in Kingdom so it is a temptation.

Obviously, your ability to save will decrease as you bring over more dependents, but it should be doable if you make it your aim.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your response, it is very much appreciated. My lifestyle isn't that extravagant, I play a lot of computer games and watch a lot of sport. I can be happy doing little.

I do however, like to shop and the wife is keen on a few extravagant holidays. Maldives, Florida etc.

The accommodation is in the compound there a three bed house is what i have been shown and told.

We do have friends in Abu Dhabi so we could go and stay with them for the much needed therapy you speak of.

Would my responses help you give any further advice?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna2805
Thank you for your response, it is very much appreciated. My lifestyle isn't that extravagant, I play a lot of computer games and watch a lot of sport. I can be happy doing little.

I do however, like to shop and the wife is keen on a few extravagant holidays. Maldives, Florida etc.

The accommodation is in the compound there a three bed house is what i have been shown and told.

We do have friends in Abu Dhabi so we could go and stay with them for the much needed therapy you speak of.

Would my responses help you give any further advice?

Many thanks!
You want to go to Florida with a Saudi residency stamp in your passport.

Good luck with that in the current environment
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:46 am
Just Joined

:cry_s mile:
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
You want to go to Florida with a Saudi residency stamp in your passport.

Good luck with that in the current environment
you are always full of the joys of life
Old Mar 27th 2017, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Expensive holidays get in the way of saving. Tabuk was ok when I was there 47 yaesr ago ! (Madrasa Athjanooiya, Tabuk 1970-1972.)
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I've not really spent much time in Tabuk, I got the impression it was very much a military type of town, there's a big airbase there and the airport claims to be 'international ' but I suspect most of the flights will be to Jordan or Egypt. These will be the closest countries for a weekend away, of course Emirates is the opposite direction and a much longer flight. You can always go to the Saudi Airlines web site and try booking a flight from Tabuk to see your available destinations.

Salary wise, it's an increase from what you're on, and the 'bonus' of Saudi life is that there's little to spend money on, so more of a chance to save once you've got the initial set up costs out of the way. If and when you do have kids, the free schooling is a big bonus as that can be costly here, but again, that going to be a few years away yet?

And if you call yourself Donna, I wonder what your wife's moniker is?

Best of luck.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 6:43 am
Just Joined

She's called Steve... Don't judge!

Thanks for the response, I think having seen the figures others are speaking of it seemed a bit on the low side.

However, having researched, it seems rather solid for the role I will be going in to.

I just don't want to go broke out there...
Old Mar 28th 2017, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

absolutely no point in comparing apples to oranges. Package depends very much on the job field, quals and years of ME experience.

Anyone who goes broke on that salary will go broke no matter what salary they're on. Shopping and the kind of holiday destinations as well as trips to the UAE are your biggest risks. Only you have control over that.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

I appreciate the advise and agree. Frugal is the way!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 2:34 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that if you do intend to stay there. The schools in that area will not be what you want for your child, no matter what they tell you about how intentional they are.

I'd look on it as a short time thing. Tabuk is a nice area geographically, with mountains etc, close to the Red Sea and so on, but it will probably shrink very quickly.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your input, really appreciated. I guess it is just a wait and see kinda thing!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Donna2805
I guess it is just a wait and see kinda thing!
er... if you mean the entire time you spend in the ME no matter how many years of experience you have here, then you're spot on.