Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another Question for you... Is it easy to get Credit / Loans in Dubai?

Another Question for you... Is it easy to get Credit / Loans in Dubai?

Old Aug 1st 2006, 8:33 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Question Another Question for you... Is it easy to get Credit / Loans in Dubai?

Or what? :scared:

Ta.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:43 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Question for you... Is it easy to get Credit / Loans in Dubai?

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Or what? :scared:

Ta.
YES

Too easy
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Question for you... Is it easy to get Credit / Loans in Dubai?

Our office fax machine must chuck out at least 4 free credit card offers a day from different local banks requiring minimal documentation, you dont even have to bank with them for them to offer a minimum of 2 x monthly salary. One young (24) girl in my office has 4 credit cards with a total limit of 40,000 on a salary of 6,000 and she just signed 48 post dated checks for her new car. The Banks here are encouraging consumer debt with no collateral.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:31 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
Our office fax machine must chuck out at least 4 free credit card offers a day from different local banks requiring minimal documentation, you dont even have to bank with them for them to offer a minimum of 2 x monthly salary. One young (24) girl in my office has 4 credit cards with a total limit of 40,000 on a salary of 6,000 and she just signed 48 post dated checks for her new car. The Banks here are encouraging consumer debt with no collateral.

Yes but I'm sure we have all read the consequences if payments are not met/cheques honoured :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 6:35 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're suggesting FD, but maybe not correct....

Bouncing cheques
If you bounce a cheque you are set for prison. Not so. According to legal sources, the law has changed. If an accused pays what he owes before – or even after – judgement he can escape jail.

From 7 - or should that read 6days
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:08 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vimto
The Banks here are encouraging consumer debt with no collateral.
The numbers mentioned on the radio today was 24kAED in debt for each person in the UAE. That's a scarey number.

Liljimmy - Check the interest rates though they can be nasty.... And also be aware that if you let them c/c co's over here will charge an annual subscription. I think they try for about 400AED per card.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:35 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
The numbers mentioned on the radio today was 24kAED in debt for each person in the UAE. That's a scarey number.

Liljimmy - Check the interest rates though they can be nasty.... And also be aware that if you let them c/c co's over here will charge an annual subscription. I think they try for about 400AED per card.
Yup.

From what I can see - credit card interest is about 28% - they quote per month here to make it look small! And most of them charge a yearly fee too.

Car loans are very easy as they are secured.

Unsecured are only easy if you work for a "listed" or "approved" company. If your company has less than 50 people then it will not be an approved company. You also have to be paid by direct bank transfer - quite often to an account with the bank you have taken the loan from.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:30 am
Trust Your Instincts.....

sassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to beholdsassy is a splendid one to behold

Too easy................. :scared:
RAK band don't change annual fee and give cash back............. HSBC charge huge yearly fee and massive interest.....

Car Loans are dead cheap
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:56 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welivehere
The numbers mentioned on the radio today was 24kAED in debt for each person in the UAE. That's a scarey number
A friend of mine back in the UK has just had to enter one of those Independent Voluntary Agreement things to sort out his credit problems - he owes the equivalent of over AED 420,000, just on credit cards.

Puts AED 24,000 in perspective, dunnit?

But it's true that many people in Dubai are in debt up to their eyeballs... there was an article in 7 Days last year that explained how many Western expats come to Dubai escape debts at home, only to run up similar debts here...

They do throw money at you here. When I first arrived, fresh off the plane, I was stunned when the HSBC said I could borrow AED 60K immediately, rising to 250K once I'd passed the probation period at my company.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 3:25 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarethR
They do throw money at you here. When I first arrived, fresh off the plane, I was stunned when the HSBC said I could borrow AED 60K immediately, rising to 250K once I'd passed the probation period at my company.
Was that literally the minute you arrived there? Don't you need a residence visa first?

How long does the residence visa take to come through, out of interest?
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 4:01 pm