Reload this Page >

Another Qatar thread......

Another Qatar thread......

Old May 11th 2011, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Qatar thread......

Hello all,

I am currently working in Atyrau, Kazakhstan and my company has offered me a few new positions, one of which is working in Doha.

I've been doing some research and reading the forum the past few days and have found it interesting to read the different viewpoints (particularly those from Alexa and CoDurham Boy ).

I've got a few questions which I'm sure have been answered a million times before but if anyone has time, it would be great to get a response. I've also had a look at www.qatarliving.com and thought it was useless so forgive me if I don't take anyone's advise to visit that site.

Firstly, bit of background - I am a 30yr old male from UK who would come over to Qatar on single status. The main reason I want to leave Kazakhstan is because I have been here for four years and the place is really starting to grind me down. New legislation is being introduced almost constantly that makes it more and more difficult for foreign companies to do business here. There is still very much a Communist mentality here which often equates to a total lack of logic and initiative amongst the workers here. Corruption is prevalent as is nepotism. There is a strong animosity from the locals (males) towards all expats.

So, first question, how is the general mentality of the Qatari people in terms of business and general acceptance of expats? I notice that Qatar was ranked very favourably in the Transparency International corruption index.

I understand the cost of living is high. Is it safe to say that this high cost of living is inclusive of groceries, utilities, etc? Is there anything that isn't expensive?

I am being offered a package of around QAR 600,000 p.a. plus accommodation (allowance tbc), flights back to UK (number tbc), plus private medical healthcare. I will work a five day week. I don't expect a lavish lifestyle but I would want to go out a few times a week for drinks and meals, purchase some luxury items (e.g. clothes, etc) at the weekend. I would also be looking to save money each month. Would this be a good salary on which to achieve that?

I read a thread from a few months ago about another 30 yr old male who was looking to come out and that was quite interesting. I suppose I have a similar question to wha he was asking, is there much of a social scene for young (is 30 still young? ) people in Doha? I understand the restrictions on where alcohol can be drunk, etc.

Are the beaches really dirty and not worth bothering with?

Is the general infrastructure/facilities imporving? I've heard there is massive investment at the moment, spurred on by the 2022 world cup.

I've lived in Kazakhstan for the past four years where I've felt I've not really had a life as there is very little to do here, it is not particularly safe, etc. I have just really been here to work. From what i've read it sounds as if Doha is the same. Am I right in thinking this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give

B
Old May 11th 2011, 7:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Another Qatar thread......

OK. Welcome to BE and I hope you find some suitable answers.
Old May 11th 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Southlondoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MrBlast

I have been to Almaty, Kazakhstan on business and have friends working in Qatar.

Doha is far more cosmopolitan than Kazakhstan. It is about as expensive as the other major cities in the Gulf like Dubai.

Hosuing quality in Doha is not that great. Traffic is a snarl. The life is uncomfortable because of the heat and dust.

However - your package is really good. QAR 600,000 is comfortable.
Leaving housing aside, you can live really well on a weekly spend of QAR 1,500. This includes eating out and shopping for clothes.

I think you should go for it! The Qatari economy is booming. The future of Qatar is bright.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

Just to add some context, I was in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia last month for a series of interviews. This was for a private equity backed company. The job was within finance. The job is now, "on hold". The pay on offer would have been around SAR 35,000 - 37,000 (tops) per month. The housing would have come out of this amount - not extra.

QAR is almost 1:1 to SAR. Cost of living is higher in Doha than Riyadh - but not by a huge amount. QAR 50,000 per month is excellent. Especially if your housing is taken care of.

Also - it is a far warmer place, in both senses, than Kazakhstan.

Hope this helps.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point

Southlondoner - many thanks, appreciate the info. May I ask what it is you do?
Old May 11th 2011, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Sure. Have been in banks for the past 10 years in London. Within middle office (pricing and valuation).
Old May 11th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrblast
Hello all,

I am currently working in Atyrau, Kazakhstan and my company has offered me a few new positions, one of which is working in Doha.

I've been doing some research and reading the forum the past few days and have found it interesting to read the different viewpoints (particularly those from Alexa and CoDurham Boy ).

I've got a few questions which I'm sure have been answered a million times before but if anyone has time, it would be great to get a response. I've also had a look at www.qatarliving.com and thought it was useless so forgive me if I don't take anyone's advise to visit that site.

Firstly, bit of background - I am a 30yr old male from UK who would come over to Qatar on single status. The main reason I want to leave Kazakhstan is because I have been here for four years and the place is really starting to grind me down. New legislation is being introduced almost constantly that makes it more and more difficult for foreign companies to do business here. There is still very much a Communist mentality here which often equates to a total lack of logic and initiative amongst the workers here. Corruption is prevalent as is nepotism. There is a strong animosity from the locals (males) towards all expats.

So, first question, how is the general mentality of the Qatari people in terms of business and general acceptance of expats? I notice that Qatar was ranked very favourably in the Transparency International corruption index.

I understand the cost of living is high. Is it safe to say that this high cost of living is inclusive of groceries, utilities, etc? Is there anything that isn't expensive?

I am being offered a package of around QAR 600,000 p.a. plus accommodation (allowance tbc), flights back to UK (number tbc), plus private medical healthcare. I will work a five day week. I don't expect a lavish lifestyle but I would want to go out a few times a week for drinks and meals, purchase some luxury items (e.g. clothes, etc) at the weekend. I would also be looking to save money each month. Would this be a good salary on which to achieve that?

I read a thread from a few months ago about another 30 yr old male who was looking to come out and that was quite interesting. I suppose I have a similar question to wha he was asking, is there much of a social scene for young (is 30 still young? ) people in Doha? I understand the restrictions on where alcohol can be drunk, etc.

Are the beaches really dirty and not worth bothering with?

Is the general infrastructure/facilities imporving? I've heard there is massive investment at the moment, spurred on by the 2022 world cup.

I've lived in Kazakhstan for the past four years where I've felt I've not really had a life as there is very little to do here, it is not particularly safe, etc. I have just really been here to work. From what i've read it sounds as if Doha is the same. Am I right in thinking this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give

B
ok, have never been to Kazakhstan, so can't say if Doha is better or not.
your package, lol, the financial one, seems ok.
1. the general mentality of Qatari people towards expats, well, as you are a white boy, you should be ok. They don't exactly welcome us with open arms, but hey, what to do yanni...
Make sure you don't flip them the bird on the road though...it is VERY tempting to do that, but DON"t. It is best to generally stay out of their way on the roads, so if you see a white land cruise coming up...get out of the way. the driving here is dismal.

2. I think you comfortably can have a social life, going out for drinks etc with what you earn. Be aware though, it IS quite expensive to do this here.
You also need to get yourself an alcohol license to buy booze at the booze shop.
For the clubs here, thy are all in the large 5 star hotels, you need to register with them to have membership. Bit tedious, but that's what it is.

3. Stay away from the local women...under ANY circumstances.

4.Some of the beaches are ok, but do not expect any facilities...they are outside Doha, so it's best to go there with a group for bbq etc.
You can get a membership at the hotels for beach and pool, but is is quite pricey...don't know the amount at the moment.
Most better compounds and appartment buildings have pools for the residents though.

General infrastructure, hmm....I suppose it is improving.

Is there a lot to do here, IMHO, no, you can go through everything there is in a week. Best to find yourself a group of friends and do stuff together. There is the Rugby club, I think most Brits are members there.
There are a lot of British people here, so I am sure you will find friends quickly.

If you are thin skinned when it comes to racism, be aware that there is a lot of it going around here.

Hope that helps.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my viewpoint , your package is good , so you'll live a decent life here. There's a different mentality here in Qatar than say in the U.A.E but as your coming from a total different mindset that might be to your advantage.

Basically , your coming here to earn money and live a decent life , that can be done here very easily , you can fly almost anywhere in the world from Doha and the hub works well for long weekends or longer trips , 50 min flight to Dubai and you can have a decent long weekend.

There's a lot of work here and they'll be a lot more coming within the next 5 years as well , people who are in now will make money , every man and his dog will be trying to get into Qatar in the next 5 years , hard as that may seem but it's the truth.

On the negative side , the local Arabs are awful , it's a minefield to do business , the cultures crap and the weathers shit for 5 months of the year and for a single guy your limited to what you can do that's for sure , put that at the back of your mind and count your Riyals . You come to the Gulf for money and money only , you come for anything else and you need a belt with a cattleprod.

In a nutshell Qatar's a piece of piss to live and work in , i've been in worse council estates , it's just dull and boring , you need to make your own entertaiment a lot of the time , i find counting my money keeps me smiling
Old May 11th 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

boroexpat_1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 years time Doha will be like Dubai. Sad to say it but its true. Lived in Dubai years ago and it is the same as Doha is now. Give it a few years with all the investment and stuff they have to do for the world cup and it will go the same way
Old May 11th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boroexpat_1982
5 years time Doha will be like Dubai. Sad to say it but its true. Lived in Dubai years ago and it is the same as Doha is now. Give it a few years with all the investment and stuff they have to do for the world cup and it will go the same way
In 50 years time this place won't be like Dubai , it has a totally different mentality mate , that's where people go wrong .

People expect it to be like a mini Dubai and what they get in a min Saudi with a few bottles of Stella and a Spandu Ballet L.P playing behind the bar.

It will be ok but don't expect fireworks down here in Dirty Doha , remember this is a nation where 1 in 3 of it's citizens are married into their own immediate family......

Like Deliverance in the desert..........
Old May 11th 2011, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I know mate when was there over xmas saw so many similarities to what Dubai used to be when I moved there in 2000 and everything was kicking off.

Suppose biggest thing your gonna see in the next few years is a massive influx of people. Already know quite a few who are moving across from Dubai purely for the work. Once the projects for the World Cup start getting released its gonna be mayhem. Road network is shite and god knows how many hotels and stuff they are gonna need to build.

Our company alone are looking at bringing an extra 200 people across if we win one of the projects we have bid for - just hope it doesnt go stupid like Dubai did with tryng to do too much too quickly
Old May 11th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by boroexpat_1982
Yeah I know mate when was there over xmas saw so many similarities to what Dubai used to be when I moved there in 2000 and everything was kicking off.

Suppose biggest thing your gonna see in the next few years is a massive influx of people. Already know quite a few who are moving across from Dubai purely for the work. Once the projects for the World Cup start getting released its gonna be mayhem. Road network is shite and god knows how many hotels and stuff they are gonna need to build.

Our company alone are looking at bringing an extra 200 people across if we win one of the projects we have bid for - just hope it doesnt go stupid like Dubai did with tryng to do too much too quickly
They're very slow here , thats the one thing that they're good at . Trouble is they've got a deadline to meet so sooner or later there's going to be a massive rush and influx of people .

It's a good time to get here for work that's for sure though .
Old May 11th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Mate there is bugger all here in the UK at the moment.............and lets be honest nowhere can be as bad as Teesside and Middlesbrough town centre! least the sun shines over there........even if a beer is 7quid!
Old May 11th 2011, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and hats off for doing a bit of prior reading!
Old May 11th 2011, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

txgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nicetxgirl is just really nice

I think your offer is more than enough to play hard and save. I learned arabic before I came here and whenever I have to deal with the locals, I always speak in arabic. They turn immediately nice and helpful.

Regarding the social scene, in my opinion, it's rough being single here. Most expats are married with kids so for me, at least, it's rough. Probably for guys it's easier as there's more single guys than girls.

Apartments in the West Bay area are the way to go for location, activities, etc. I don't think the food is that expensive, dry cleaning is - 60 riyal for a cocktail dress??

There's always some activity going on in the city, sports, conventions, festivals, so it's not completely boring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.