British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Another newbie post, Qatar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/another-newbie-post-qatar-907425/)

Butch1981 Jan 2nd 2018 9:36 pm

Another newbie post, Qatar

Hi I’m a 35 year old who’s been offered a job out in Doha, my dad used to work out in Saudi for British aerospace although it’s been a few years since he was there!

I’ve got a misses and kids although I’m planning on leaving them in uk. I’ve been offered a package of

around 45,000 a month which I’m thinking is about right,
4 flights home a year and 2 flights for family out each year
A company car,
4000 allowance towards accommodation,
2 year contract!

Is there anything I should be asking for in addition?

Miss Ann Thrope Jan 3rd 2018 4:32 am

Re: Another newbie post, Qatar

Originally Posted by Butch1981 (Post 12409510)
Hi I’m a 35 year old who’s been offered a job out in Doha, my dad used to work out in Saudi for British aerospace although it’s been a few years since he was there!

I’ve got a misses and kids although I’m planning on leaving them in uk. I’ve been offered a package of

around 45,000 a month which I’m thinking is about right,
4 flights home a year and 2 flights for family out each year
A company car,
4000 allowance towards accommodation,
2 year contract!

Is there anything I should be asking for in addition?

Visa that allows multi-exit/entry without requiring sponsor's permission.

DXBtoDOH Jan 3rd 2018 5:24 am

Just be aware you can't automatically convert a UK licence into a Qatari licence and need to sit the exam (both written and driving). This was introduced about a year ago to the dismay of many new expats. You may want to contemplate forgoing the company car and asking for a transportation allowance in lieu (usually around 2k a month) and taking taxi/ubers instead, which is what I do. Driving standards are annoying in Qatar and it's a relief not to have to drive.

Beyond that I don't have any comments. Qatar is dull but you'll have plenty of escapes to the UK.

mission Jan 3rd 2018 8:33 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12409681)
Just be aware you can't automatically convert a UK licence into a Qatari licence and need to sit the exam (both written and driving). This was introduced about a year ago to the dismay of many new expats. You may want to contemplate forgoing the company car and asking for a transportation allowance in lieu (usually around 2k a month) and taking taxi/ubers instead, which is what I do. Driving standards are annoying in Qatar and it's a relief not to have to drive.

Beyond that I don't have any comments. Qatar is dull but you'll have plenty of escapes to the UK.

crikey, i wasn't aware of that...what a pain in the googlies.

DXBtoDOH Jan 3rd 2018 10:22 am

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12409730)
crikey, i wasn't aware of that...what a pain in the googlies.

Aye. It's why I never bothered. Taxis and uber are so cheap and common here. I reckon I spend around 1700 a month in taxi/uber and it's cheaper than a hire car + petrol.

Butch1981 Jan 3rd 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks

Dictator1 Jan 4th 2018 3:21 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12409681)

This has changed again. I recently changed my UK license to Qatari.

DXBtoDOH Jan 4th 2018 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Dictator1 (Post 12410575)
This has changed again. I recently changed my UK license to Qatari.

My, really, fancy that. Not surprised.