Another move to Abu Dhabi

Another move to Abu Dhabi

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Frankiegoez 2 Gib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another move to Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Zorg
Hi all,

I am in the process of moving to Abu Dhabi. I have read as much information as I could on this board (thank you for the spreadsheet it was very helpful) but I still have some questions.

By the look of it, the security clearance is going to take at least one more month and then I can move to Abu Dhabi. I am of 2 minds either:

I move to AD sometime in May directly with my wife and kid (2 years old) apply for residence visa and stay at the hotel until I can find a place to live, which means moving in end of June/ early July with the start of Ramadan. (Someone told me I cannot rent a place until I have the residence visa is that true? If so how long does it take?)

Or I wait until September and move in once the madness of heat + Ramadan is over.

What would you do?

Other questions I have:
- British degree certification: I got told by HR in AD not to bother with it, but I am not sure if I can really trust them on this. Do you need it for any visa application or is it just to apply for a job?
- My son has a British Passport but was born in Germany, do I need to get his birth certificate certified?
- My wife does not have the same family name as me or my son. Can she travel to AD on her own with my son with his passport and a copy of his birth certificate attached to it or do we need more papers?
- I read multiple times that HSBC in AD was bad, is it really that bad? Knowing that I only use internet banking and cannot remember last time I walked into a bank.
- I have heard that the rents are going up in AD, is 225000 AED/year still ok for a flat/house on the corniche?

Thank you for your help.
Hey Zorg
There are literally hundreds of permutations that surround moving to/living in Abu Dhabi; youve mentioned some above. Here is some background info from my own perspective (Ive been here around 2 and a half years now)
The banking system in the UAE is superb; there are dozens of banks and the one I use offers the most secure and efficient on line service ive ever had.
Property rental in Abu Dhabi is much the same as anywhere in the world:- Its the capital city of the country so it is pricey; you can rent on the Corniche of course and that will cost a lot.You can also get very comfortable living off the island for a fraction of the cost, then you need a car...
Arriving as a threesome or on your own is a personal choice. I choose to spend a few months here on my own to find a place to live, to find my way around and generally to 'suss out' this great city. It worked for us; I know wives who have got spooked here before finding out how it all works.
Ramadan is an incredibly hot time of year; 50+ in the city and 80%+ humidity.
Document certification is something you need to get used to here; a cover all strategy would go like this....get everything and anything to do with births, marriages, education, driving etc legally attested and photocopy everything a dozen times.
In my opinion UAE is a great, progressive and safe country for an ex pat and his family to live and work in. Abu Dhabi is an island too so you are never more than 20 minutes from the sea.
Good luck dude......dont be afraid either. Living in the middle east for the first time is always going to feel a little different (You get used to it eventually!)
Ciao
Frankie
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Frankiegoez 2 Gib is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Frankiegoez 2 Gib
Hey Zorg
There are literally hundreds of permutations that surround moving to/living in Abu Dhabi; youve mentioned some above. Here is some background info from my own perspective (Ive been here around 2 and a half years now)
The banking system in the UAE is superb; there are dozens of banks and the one I use offers the most secure and efficient on line service ive ever had.
Property rental in Abu Dhabi is much the same as anywhere in the world:- Its the capital city of the country so it is pricey; you can rent on the Corniche of course and that will cost a lot.You can also get very comfortable living off the island for a fraction of the cost, then you need a car...
Arriving as a threesome or on your own is a personal choice. I choose to spend a few months here on my own to find a place to live, to find my way around and generally to 'suss out' this great city. It worked for us; I know wives who have got spooked here before finding out how it all works.
Ramadan is an incredibly hot time of year; 50+ in the city and 80%+ humidity.
Document certification is something you need to get used to here; a cover all strategy would go like this....get everything and anything to do with births, marriages, education, driving etc legally attested and photocopy everything a dozen times.
In my opinion UAE is a great, progressive and safe country for an ex pat and his family to live and work in. Abu Dhabi is an island too so you are never more than 20 minutes from the sea.
Good luck dude......dont be afraid either. Living in the middle east for the first time is always going to feel a little different (You get used to it eventually!)
Ciao
Frankie
PS:- EU and UK citizens get to turn up here with no visa; you get a 30 days stamp in your passport on arrival at no cost. You must leave the country and then you can return immediately for a further 30 (You can do this by driving across the border to Oman and back or taking a cheap return flight to Muscat)
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Zorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your help, sorry for the late reply but last month has been hectic.

I finally got my security clearance and I am moving to Abu dhabi early June. I decided to move on my own at first, Wife and kid will follow later.

A couple of things for people who will go through the process of moving to UAE:
1) don´t believe HR if they tell you there is no need for your UK degree to be attested, that s a lie (Thank you everyone for pointing this out)

2) If you are european and got married in the USA, the hague apostille on your marriage certificate is not enough. You need to send your marriage certificate back to the state you were married to and get a "certificate of authentication".
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zorg
Thank you all for your help, sorry for the late reply but last month has been hectic.

I finally got my security clearance and I am moving to Abu dhabi early June. I decided to move on my own at first, Wife and kid will follow later.

A couple of things for people who will go through the process of moving to UAE:
1) don´t believe HR if they tell you there is no need for your UK degree to be attested, that s a lie (Thank you everyone for pointing this out)

2) If you are european and got married in the USA, the hague apostille on your marriage certificate is not enough. You need to send your marriage certificate back to the state you were married to and get a "certificate of authentication".
you always have to have your last school certification attested.

they like same same with passport and driving licence and certificates etc, they have to tick boxes and sometimes if those boxes are different it causes hassles.