Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another expat moves to Dubai

Another expat moves to Dubai

Old May 17th 2011, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Joeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to all
Default Another expat moves to Dubai

Hi everybody.

I'm Joe, a 23-year-old maths teacher from the UK.
I've just accepted a teaching post in Dubai and I can't wait to move. I'm going to be living in or very near to the Silicon Oasis.
Does anybody live in, or know the area well? Is there lots to do and how much are taxis into the hustle and bustle of Dubai centre.

I look forward to any replies

Last edited by Joeyg1; May 17th 2011 at 7:56 pm.
Old May 18th 2011, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another expat moves to Dubai

Originally Posted by Joeyg1
Hi everybody.

I've just accepted a teaching post in Dubai and I can't wait to move. I'm going to be living in or very near to the Silicon Oasis.
Does anybody live in, or know the area well? Is there lots to do and how much are taxis into the hustle and bustle of Dubai centre.

Taxis cheap everywhere..............

By the way - don't think I'm being rude, but 23??? Aren't you a bit young to be a teacher with experience??
Old May 18th 2011, 4:27 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

By the way - don't think I'm being rude, but 23??? Aren't you a bit young to be a teacher with experience??
the schools get them cheaper, you know it's business welcome to BE Joe
Old May 18th 2011, 4:29 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

who are you working for out here if you are based SO?

My mrs flies out end of August starting at a school there...
Old May 18th 2011, 4:36 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
who are you working for out here if you are based SO?

My mrs flies out end of August starting at a school there...
fantastic news!!
Old May 18th 2011, 5:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody.

Dubai doesn't have a centre. Have you not visited? There are various differnt areas, but not a centre as you'd recognise it. As for Silicon Oasis it is still rather in the sticks (which is why you're bing put there - it's cheap) and a fair taxi journey (assuming you get get them easily from there) to anywhere interesting. I reckon a good AED 40-80 depending on where you are going.
Old May 18th 2011, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Joeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to allJoeyg1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Dean

I have the two years required experience. I'm a late birthday so i'll actually be 24 when I fly. Still young, I know, but I'm very confident in what I do...and the school must also be confident in my abilities. I'm going to working for a new GEMS school out there. I can't wait!

With regards to the "centre", I was referring to the beach and main attractions. Obviously that's where i'll want to spend most weekends.

Last edited by Joeyg1; May 18th 2011 at 5:51 am.
Old May 18th 2011, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I have the two years required experience. I'm a late birthday so i'll actually be 24 when I fly. Still young, I know, but I'm very confident in what I do...and the school must also be confident in my abilities.

With regards to the "centre", I was referring to the beach and main attractions. Obviously that's where i'll want to spend most weekends.
i'm sure you will be fine...

silicon oasis, as others have said, is a bit far out...amenities there are getting better but it's a 30ish min drive to get to the beach or anywhere you're likely to want to go out...that said, i always reckon on everywhere i need to go in dubai being 30 mins away so it's no different, lol...enjoy, i know the teachers in my kids' school who started last september have had a blast...

MM, xx
Old May 18th 2011, 6:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I have the two years required experience. I'm a late birthday so i'll actually be 24 when I fly. Still young, I know, but I'm very confident in what I do...and the school must also be confident in my abilities. I'm going to working for a new GEMS school out there. I can't wait!

Well, 'main attractions' means different things to different people and are very spread out. Seriously, there is no centre to Dubai. And with the summer heat that is now pretty much here you really will not want to spend most of your weekends on the beach. It's already 38c by 9.30am.

Good luck
Old May 18th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

spartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of lightspartans53 is a glorious beacon of light

Its a long way from Jebel Ali Club. Will be about 80 Dhs both ways.
Old May 18th 2011, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome Joey,

If you're moving here in or around August be aware that you will be moving here at the peak of Summer so foo king hot and it will be Ramadan - I moved here during Ramadan and almost lost the will to live! So be prepared!

Anyway good luck with the move- enjoy your last few months in Blighty

Kittycat
Old May 18th 2011, 8:48 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't been here have you
Old May 18th 2011, 9:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
You haven't been here have you
Does that really matter when you're 23, single and independent? I accepted jobs in both Saudi and Japan when I was young and free: Saudi was the shit-hole I expected, Japan was as different as I'd hoped. Would I have been deterred or more enthused by visiting them both before? Probably not. Leaps of faith aren't always bad.
Old May 18th 2011, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

I came to a point in life where I wanted a change, and what better way to do it?!
I appreciate that some people need to feel comfortable about a decision before they make it, but hey, i'm not one of those people. This will be an experience that I know I will enjoy, regardless of the problems I face along the way.
I cannot wait for my start date and really look forward to meeting so many new people. Another expat moves to dubai - even though he hasn't been before!
Old May 18th 2011, 11:40 am
Concierge

I came to a point in life where I wanted a change, and what better way to do it?!
I appreciate that some people need to feel comfortable about a decision before they make it, but hey, i'm not one of those people. This will be an experience that I know I will enjoy, regardless of the problems I face along the way.
I cannot wait for my start date and really look forward to meeting so many new people. Another expat moves to dubai - even though he hasn't been before!
with that attitude you will be just fine, enjoy it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.