Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Another cost of living check...Dubai

Another cost of living check...Dubai

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:31 am
Brand Spankin' New

Jade3 has a spectacular aura aboutJade3 has a spectacular aura aboutJade3 has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Another cost of living check...Dubai

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum... I'm currently in the process of researching a possible move to Dubai and I was wondering if I could tap your collective experiences to determine a cost of living there.

I'm a single female, no children, looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment in a safe enough area. I would also require transportation of some sort...I would likely try to buy a car and/or lease a rental. I've been researching housing costs in Dubai, and a one-bedroom seems to average about 55K/year. Beyond that, I am a bit lost and overwhelmed at the amount of information I've found on the web. I would much rather hear it from those of you who have first-hand experience there.

So...any thoughts on the minimum salary I would need to get by?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jade
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:40 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another cost of living check...Dubai

Hi Jade,

Welcome to the board. I am sure you'll get some answers but please do a search on this ME formum as well because this is a common question that has been answered many times.
What kind of work will you be doing in Dubai?
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 6:58 am
Brand Spankin' New

Jade3 has a spectacular aura aboutJade3 has a spectacular aura aboutJade3 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MataHari
Hi Jade,

Welcome to the board. I am sure you'll get some answers but please do a search on this ME formum as well because this is a common question that has been answered many times.
What kind of work will you be doing in Dubai?
I would most likely be doing work as a Graphic/Web Designer. I've found many jobs there in my field, but I have no idea whether their salary offers will be substantial enough for me to get by.

I had a quick browse in the forum for a similar thread but I also wanted to say hello and introduce myself with a fresh one.

I'll keep perusing. Thanks!

Jade

Last edited by Jade3; Sep 23rd 2006 at 7:05 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 8:15 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jade3
I would most likely be doing work as a Graphic/Web Designer. I've found many jobs there in my field, but I have no idea whether their salary offers will be substantial enough for me to get by.

I had a quick browse in the forum for a similar thread but I also wanted to say hello and introduce myself with a fresh one.

I'll keep perusing. Thanks!

Jade
Work backwards

Housing 55000
Bills (Electric, Water, Tax on Housing, etc) 12000
Car (say 50k/4 years) 14000
Food, petrol etc. 18000
Going out (you'll want to) 12000

Total (minimum) 113,000 so theoretically a 10k/month slary should cover it, go for 15 or so and you'll be fine.

Also try to get company to pay for Health Insurance Very important, and at least 1 flight home per year + all your visa costs. They should do it and it'll save you a fortune in terms of time. effort and money.

However, you'll need to furnish your place so you need about 10,000 for all of that.

I'm guessing the areas you're looking at are Murdif and Bur Dubai/ Deira, Mirdiff is ok, try to avoid the other 2 esp. Deira, unless you really do want to live in a third worls country. A 1 bed apartmnt in the Marina (close to where i'd suggest you'd be working in Dubai Media/Internet city) will cost you at least double that 55k.

Plan carefully, it can be done - and take a look at www.dubizzel.com, they have loads of flat shares there too and will make your dirham go a lot further!

Good Luck

Last edited by MJC; Sep 23rd 2006 at 8:20 am.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:13 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jade

Mirdiff is good but we have just been looking to move on from our villa and 55k ain't going to cut it unless you are willing to do a villa / apartment share. This in its own right is not a bad idea, you get all the perks of a larger rent i.e. pool, gym etc attached and should get your at least your own room + en-suite. Finally it's a it's a nice area and all for the price of a small apartment (although I think 55k for an apaprtment in most area's is still a tight budget you should be ok)

The only down side is that Mirdiff is a little way out now and more family orientated (although with the addition Uptown Mirdiff at least there will be shops / restaurants / banks etc all in a nice environment).

If you have a look here: Gulf News Classifieds

You can take a look at prices for villa and apartment rentals which should give you more idea. Seeing as it is the cost that will probably swallow 30%+ of your salary it's one number you need to be pretty sure of. If you need advice on any of the area's you read about just ask and I'm sure people will help out.

Apart from that the numbers seem pretty close... Good luck...
Old Sep 24th 2006, 7:19 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

sorry, can't spell it's www.dubizzle.com