Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Am I doing the right thing? (Taking a job in Dubai)

Am I doing the right thing? (Taking a job in Dubai)

Old Jul 24th 2006, 10:58 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Am I doing the right thing? (Taking a job in Dubai)

The bright lights and the promise of a great lifestyle for me and my family, away from the increasingly grim UK, have finally beckoned me and I have accepted a job in Dubai. I'm coming on 5th August and the family (wife and 2 kids, 1 primary school age) are following me about a month later, depending on the schooling situation.

Everyone I've spoken to here and over there (agency/new employer) has said it's great, but after reading this forum, I'm wondering what I've let myself in for. The road situation sounds horrific (although it's getting worse ever here, to be fair) and then there's the alleged behaviour of some of the landlords. Surely the government there have to do something. With the metro system not coming on-line till 2009, it could be a long 3 years if they just let the place expand and expand the way it seems to be.

Then there's the cost of living. I've done sums after sums based on info from several sources and thought we'd do quite nicely, but I'm wondering if I've allowed enough for everything. Is 110k per annum enough for a good villa or flat in a good area? Are groceries more expensive? Oh me, oh my. Doubts are clouding my mind.

Any advice would be appreciated. Even just a bit of encouragement, and an assurance that the good stuff outweighs the bad

Ta.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Am I doing the right thing? (Taking a job in Dubai)

110K what?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:13 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LJ,

Been here for 2 years, and love it! Just go for it. You can be happy (or unhappy) everywhere, a lot of it depends on your own attitude, flexibility etc.
But just forget about saving money, do it for the experience.

Now bring on the moaners
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I dont live in Dubai so cant offer first hand experience but my sister and her family (husband, two kids age 8 & 6) have lived there for just over a year and they are very happy with it. They have gone from HK tho and the kids have never lived in UK so maybe they found it easier to adjust to the climate etc. My sis tells me there is so much to do, and a great ex-pat community which they really enjoy.

As for money, my brother in law has a good job and I wouldn't know how much he earns but she has said that money has been a little tight. They have just brought a villa and had lots of up front and hidden costs but she still hasn't felt the need to work herself so it cant be that bad!

Worrying at this stage is completely normal! When we moved to NZ 4 years ago it seemed like a great idea until about a week before we left UK, but it turned out to be the best thing we ever did.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:44 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
The bright lights and the promise of a great lifestyle for me and my family, away from the increasingly grim UK, have finally beckoned me and I have accepted a job in Dubai. I'm coming on 5th August and the family (wife and 2 kids, 1 primary school age) are following me about a month later, depending on the schooling situation.

Everyone I've spoken to here and over there (agency/new employer) has said it's great, but after reading this forum, I'm wondering what I've let myself in for. The road situation sounds horrific (although it's getting worse ever here, to be fair) and then there's the alleged behaviour of some of the landlords. Surely the government there have to do something. With the metro system not coming on-line till 2009, it could be a long 3 years if they just let the place expand and expand the way it seems to be.

Then there's the cost of living. I've done sums after sums based on info from several sources and thought we'd do quite nicely, but I'm wondering if I've allowed enough for everything. Is 110k per annum enough for a good villa or flat in a good area? Are groceries more expensive? Oh me, oh my. Doubts are clouding my mind.

Any advice would be appreciated. Even just a bit of encouragement, and an assurance that the good stuff outweighs the bad

Ta.

Personally, I think it depends on what you make of it. Yes, there are some negative aspects of life in Dubai, but you get them anywhere.

We certainly don't regret moving here, I think that sometimes people take the lifestyle here for granted (you see a lot of expat families where the women don't need to work, they drive big 4x4s, have maids etc... and seem to forget it is unlikely they could live like that back at home).

Not checked rental prices lately, but I'd guess for a little more you would get a 3 bedroom place in the Arabian Ranches, Springs (used to be) a little more expensive. All depends on where you will be working and if you mind a drive (or sitting in traffic) to work.

Don't take too much of what you read to heart, for me I'd rather make a move and try somewhere new rather than sit back and think 'what if' for the next few years!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:07 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone I've spoken to here and over there (agency/new employer) has said it's great
Oh, of course they will have. It's pretty standard practice for employers; they play up the "constant sunshine/no income tax" angles in hopes that they can lowball you on the salary.

The road situation sounds horrific (although it's getting worse ever here, to be fair)
The UK is still nowhere close to Dubai's roadal insanity.

and then there's the alleged behaviour of some of the landlords
There's nowt "alleged" about it; while there are obviously good landlords, there as just as many unscrupulous, avaricious sons of camels. But at least there's the rent tribunal; if more people actually used it, fewer unscrupulous, avaricious sons of camels would try it on.

Is 110k per annum enough for a good villa or flat in a good area?
If you mean you have a 110k rent allowance, then it won't buy you anything fantastic, but it'll get you something liveable in a reasonable area.

Are groceries more expensive?
Some are, some aren't. Bear in mind that Dubai is going through the classic inflationary phase of all developing economies, so the price of everything is ultimately moving upwards.

The bottom line is money. The more you're earning, or the more your company will pay for, the more you're insulated from the rising cost of living. No matter how pleasant the climate (from Oct-April, anyway), if you aren't earning enough to give yourself some kind of buffer against the cost of living, you won't have as good a time as other people.

If your company will cover your rent, utility bills, car and school fees in addition to paying you a salary of *at least* AED 20,000 per month, then you'll be laughing. You'll also be a lot better off than most people here!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:07 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Am I doing the right thing? (Taking a job in Dubai)

Thanks for that, everyone.

My package is just over 30k Dhms per month, all-in. Medical insurance is provided by my company.

I might be looking at an apartment rather than a villa. I want to live in a reasonable area, not too far from the schools and not too far from work, if possible. I will avoid Sharjah, as it seems to get a bad press on here.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:14 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

My package is just over 30k Dhms per month, all-in
When you say "all-in", do you mean that you get 30k in your pocket every month and your company pays for rent, utility bills, school fees etc? Or have you been given a basic salary plus allowances for rent, transport etc, all of which add up to a total of 30k?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:15 am