Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For all you happy campers....

For all you happy campers....

Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:39 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default For all you happy campers....

When I saw this in the papers this morning, I thought it would be worth putting it up on here seeing as how so many of you go camping in the desert....

CAMPERS ATTACKED BY WOLF-LIKE CREATURES IN KHORFAKHAN
BY ANJANA SANKAR (Staff Reporter)

17 January 2006

As darkness fell over the hilly terrains of Khorfakhan, the predators slowly crawled out of their dens for the night's kill. But a few metres away, a group of six picnickers had just begun to unwind under the starry skies, oblivious to the danger lurking just behind their tents.

What sounds like a gripping prelude to a Wilbur Smith novel turned out to be a real life experience for six camping enthusiasts from Abu Dhabi when they were attacked by a pack of wolf-like creatures at their campsite near Wadi, Khorfakhan, on January 9, during the Eid holiday.

The campers said the creatures numbering over 30, hovered around their tents three times during the night, and one of their friends almost got mauled through the car windows.

"It was a terrifying experience and we spent the rest of the night huddled inside our four wheeler, without food and water, as we were afraid to venture out to our tent, pitched about 10 feet away from where the vehicle was parked," Pradeep Paul from Hyderabad, India, told City Times, recollecting the panic-striken hours the group spent in the remote location.

"We reached the spot at around five in the evening and pitched the tent. The camp fire was also lit. We were having real fun, singing, dancing and chatting when my sister Julie noticed something moving behind the bushes, a few feet away from the tent. It was almost 8.30; the fire was doused and we could clearly see a few pairs of eyes glowing in the night, through the net window of the tent," said Pradeep.

"We all screamed and shouted in order to scare them away, and that worked. We were actually thrilled by the incident and kept on chatting about all kinds of crazy stuff without an inkling of what was in store. We remained inside the tent while our friend Anirban Chakravarthy ventured out near the campfire and was talking to his friend on the phone. After about 10.30, we heard some strange sounds and it did not take us long to understand that the creatures were coming again, but this time as a pack of over 30," Pradeep said.

An electrical engineer from Bangladesh, Chakravarthy, told this reporter that they scurried to their four wheeler immediately because the animals were coming closer and were more aggressive than before. "When they moved closer to our vehicle, we kept on honking and they slowly dispersed. As it was dark, we could not figure out whether they were wolves, or foxes. We were petrified and wanted to drive back immediately. But the road was bad and we had no option but to stay back till the next morning," noted Chakravarthy.

The drama was not over till 3.30am, when the predators came again and started scratching on the doors of the four wheeler. "We had just dozed off when our friend Subrata from Canada felt something cold and rough moving against her hands. The glass on her side was slightly open and one of the creatures had poked its paw through the window. She turned white for a second and let out a scream. By that time, we had all reached our wits end," Chakrvarthy said.

But an official from the Environment Agency - Abu Dhabi, opined that the creatures could not have been Arabian wolves because they are solitary and do not normally move in packs. "Another possibility is foxes, but they do not attack human beings. But what I can assume is that they must have been feral dogs, venturing out for food. They can be aggressive, even though it cannot be a life-threatening situation," said the official.

According to her, these creatures could venture out in search of food due to the scarcity of the same in the desert. "The smell of food might have attracted them to the camp site, and as you know, the campers do leave behind a lot of waste food. People just have to be careful, but otherwise there is no reason to panic," concluded the official.
Very scary!!!! :scared: :scared: :scared:

What would you do in a situation like this? What happens when you are no longer at the top of the food chain?
Old Jan 17th 2006, 6:49 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For all you happy campers....

Had a similar experience camping with friends, we were visited by little green men from outer space.

Upon waking in the morning and seeing several empty bottles of Canadian Club and a lot of empty cans we decided against involving the police.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:06 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Had a similar experience camping with friends, we were visited by little green men from outer space.

Upon waking in the morning and seeing several empty bottles of Canadian Club and a lot of empty cans we decided against involving the police.
very funny, mister!

The wolf-like bit was what got me scared...
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:12 am
A slow driver!

lillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to behold

That's why we drink so much when we camp.

Last week these 'wolves' could have been in tent with us and I doubt we'd have noticed!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 7:24 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by lillygirl
That's why we drink so much when we camp.

Last week these 'wolves' could have been in tent with us and I doubt we'd have noticed!
these 'wolves' could have also looked more authentic than the real creatures due to the lack of shaving facilities.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:22 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

once i went out for camping near dibba, i saw one man at night he had feets of a goat! :scared:

i never mentioned this to anyone because i know no one will believe me.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

I have been camping in the UAE for over 20 years. I try to go out at least twice a year usually for two to three nights a time. The most I have ever seen was a tiny fox, nearly 15 years ago and a wadi racer (snake) last year in Hatta I have camped in and beyond hatta and the east coast many times and have never, never seen anything even looking similar or what might be confused as a wolf. I thinks these people might of been drinking a bit to much canadian club, if you know what I mean.!!!!!
Old Jan 17th 2006, 12:49 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Benson
I have been camping in the UAE for over 20 years. I try to go out at least twice a year usually for two to three nights a time. The most I have ever seen was a tiny fox, nearly 15 years ago and a wadi racer (snake) last year in Hatta I have camped in and beyond hatta and the east coast many times and have never, never seen anything even looking similar or what might be confused as a wolf. I thinks these people might of been drinking a bit to much canadian club, if you know what I mean.!!!!!
hmmmm........ so you are siding with the environmental agency official.

"People just have to be careful, but otherwise there is no reason to panic," concluded the official. I would have never thought of that on my own.

Since you mention having seen a fox and a snake, I have seen scorpions and wild foxes, never wolves, though from the sound of things, they could have been a pack of stray dogs. Who knows?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

I would of thought that stray dogs would be around the villages for food. I don't think that there is enough food out in the wadis and there are alot of small villages out there, more food there than the few people that go camping? It just seems one of those fishy stories to me.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:33 am
Remember

Desert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Dweller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasaNova
once i went out for camping near dibba, i saw one man at night he had feets of a goat! :scared:

i never mentioned this to anyone because i know no one will believe me.
You need to drink more expensive after shave!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller
You need to drink more expensive after shave!

A while ago in Abelas in AD I saw an middle eastern Gent buying about 10 bottles of mouth wash. I don't think he had smell breath, well not that bad that he needed 10 bottles!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:51 pm
The Oracle

I would of thought that stray dogs would be around the villages for food. I don't think that there is enough food out in the wadis and there are alot of small villages out there, more food there than the few people that go camping? It just seems one of those fishy stories to me.
Fishy though it may be, it could have happened. I mean I know there is no solid evidence, but u gotta give them the benefit of the doubt, mate
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Face81
Fishy though it may be, it could have happened. I mean I know there is no solid evidence, but u gotta give them the benefit of the doubt, mate
Youre trying your best to ruin my sleep.....
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

A while ago in Abelas in AD I saw an middle eastern Gent buying about 10 bottles of mouth wash. I don't think he had smell breath, well not that bad that he needed 10 bottles!
Those bottles were for the wolves' breath....
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:08 pm
Sat on the fence ......

Rumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond reputeRumble Tumble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shoushou
Those bottles were for the wolves' breath....
Talking of mouthwash, purchased some weird White Rum, jeez i am so sure it was meths, disgusting! That'd clean their teeth for them

Come back 'Sid' all is forgiven!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.