Reload this Page >

All Asian women are not working-girls

All Asian women are not working-girls

Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:17 pm
Dont Cry in Dubai

davidbrooks70 will become famous soon enough
Default All Asian women are not working-girls

Hello,

Seems obvious enough to say, but in Dubai if you are Asian and you are a woman you will experience this kind of discrimination and harassment constantly.

A friend (Japanese) is harassed almost every time she leaves the apartment from guys in cars passing by, people in the mall offering to buy her "presents" in exchange for "services".

The most disgusting and offensive event occured when she was tailed by security from the entrance of a prominent international hotel into the lobby, and then questioned in detail as to why she was there, who she was meeting etc ...

When she complained they said that it was all security procedures, and that they ID all single/unaccompanied women coming through the front door; I watched and they weren't.

Was she dressed like a working-girl? Certainly not. This place wants to be part of the modern-world and a key player in international business but it has a lot of real modernizing to do.

Has anyone else experienced this type of thing?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:25 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All Asian women are not working-girls

Originally Posted by davidbrooks70
Hello,

Seems obvious enough to say, but in Dubai if you are Asian and you are a woman you will experience this kind of discrimination and harassment constantly.

A friend (Japanese) is harassed almost every time she leaves the apartment from guys in cars passing by, people in the mall offering to buy her "presents" in exchange for "services".

The most disgusting and offensive event occured when she was tailed by security from the entrance of a prominent international hotel into the lobby, and then questioned in detail as to why she was there, who she was meeting etc ...

When she complained they said that it was all security procedures, and that they ID all single/unaccompanied women coming through the front door; I watched and they weren't.

Was she dressed like a working-girl? Certainly not. This place wants to be part of the modern-world and a key player in international business but it has a lot of real modernizing to do.

Hi David! I am Asian (Indonesian)...

Knows what u mean. To be honest I don't get that kind of experience in Doha. Yes now and again people stare at me with funny looks if I go shopping in the mall by my self. I suppose I am getting used to it by now...
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

But did she complain to the Hotel about the behaviour of security David?
I have worked for 2 years in the hospitality trade here and it's never been the norm to check on guests even in 3 star hotels, if this happened recently get her to complain directly to the CEO of the hotel, if you need or want his name give me the hotel and i will find out his name and Email address so it goes direct to him not through his secretary, it has to be nipped in the bud.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I know in some places they are strict on lone women. When I was in Dubai, I was often asked if I was Russian (I have blond hair and blue eyes?) even had some cars turn around when I was walking, but most did apologise once they realised I wasn't offering any services. I also was dressed conservatively. I think it depends on where you are. Maybe your friend should view it in another way that she is attractive enough to be thought of being a high class call girl. The high class ones dress very well, have porshes etc etc..... Its not just in Dubai, a lone woman in many western countries has problems too.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

Merc,

What a wonderful compliment to say to the lady concerned, I applaud you for your discretion. Do you give lessons
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:21 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I have to say that having spent the last 4 years in an Asian country I have to say...for me...that I find it hard not to look at certain Asian women and think God what a tart. Maybe sometimes I am right and maybe sometimes I am wrong.....whatever!

As Novita I am sure will back me up on, Jakarta is full of women for sale, everywhere, in your face and blatant. So I am sure it may take me some time to look at 'certain' Asians and think gosh what a beautiful dress....even though it is right up to her armpits.

You have to say that a lot of Asians dress in a certain way (no Novita i've seen you in your whooly jumper LOL) that western women could probably not get away with without people thinking them a tart also. I don't think this is the Asian girls problem but the person looking at her...yes me, I have issues end of story.

BUT I don't treat her with disrespect or follow her up the street....I am not a lesbo either! It doesn't matter how an Asian dresses, it is the thought process of the person looking at her. Now had these security guards seen others like her who were prostitutes? Did she give them the impression that she was available or for sale? Did she just give them they eye? Why did they single her out? You gotta ask yourself that question!!!!

Maybe you don't think that she was dressed as a tart or a working girl, and nor did she because she isn't but it certainly gave some that impression....and i wonder how many others. Maybe she should address her wardrobe. I have people living in my street who are Asian and I never look at them and think they are working girls when they are dressed to go out. So what gives?
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:28 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

A friend of mine who happens to be blonde was out jogging with her dog about a year ago, dressed in tracksuit and trainers and was stopped by a passing driver who asked her 'how much' - evidently thinking the who sweaty athletic look and dog on the leah was part of the deal - she went home and called the police to complain but all they were interested in was what nationality she was and were not helpful at all.

A LOT of non-westerners think anyone woman not in an abaya or some other traditional clothing (including the more modest sari) is up for anything - it's a cultural stereotype purpetuated by their media and social/religious dogmas.

It should not be going on in hotels in Dubai today and you can complain as others have mentioned...if you don't it will continue.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I got approached last night in Spinneys!!!
Made my day, then i won a Pearl necklace in the DSF scratch and win.

And i am saving the Pearl Necklace for a rainy day!!!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Just to say, I used to get harrassed in Spain and Italy. No, I am not blond, don't have blue eyes, am not drop dead gorgeous, dress extremely conservative, could pass as Spanish or Italian, check out the photo post if you want and judge for yourself if I would be an easy target. Me thinks not!!

It is one of those things that can happen anywhere at any time when desperate people are lurking around. At least in Dubai, you are kind of still save from worrying about being raped around each corner.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:41 am
Dont Cry in Dubai

davidbrooks70 will become famous soon enough

Hello All,

Thanks for your posts. This wasn't a case of some horny passer by bothering her. It was the security guard in a prominent hotel tailing her from the door, and asking her in detail why she was there (waiting for Salsa lesson) while all the other guests were completely left alone.

In my mind it was pure and simple racial profiling followed by harassment. There really is no other way to see it.

Anyway, I am in the process of trying to file a formal complaint against the hotel in question.

Thanks,

David
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:58 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jellybean
I have to say that having spent the last 4 years in an Asian country I have to say...for me...that I find it hard not to look at certain Asian women and think God what a tart. Maybe sometimes I am right and maybe sometimes I am wrong.....whatever!

As Novita I am sure will back me up on, Jakarta is full of women for sale, everywhere, in your face and blatant. So I am sure it may take me some time to look at 'certain' Asians and think gosh what a beautiful dress....even though it is right up to her armpits.

You have to say that a lot of Asians dress in a certain way (no Novita i've seen you in your whooly jumper LOL) that western women could probably not get away with without people thinking them a tart also. I don't think this is the Asian girls problem but the person looking at her...yes me, I have issues end of story

BUT I don't treat her with disrespect or follow her up the street....I am not a lesbo either! It doesn't matter how an Asian dresses, it is the thought process of the person looking at her. Now had these security guards seen others like her who were prostitutes? Did she give them the impression that she was available or for sale? Did she just give them they eye? Why did they single her out? You gotta ask yourself that question!!!!

Maybe you don't think that she was dressed as a tart or a working girl, and nor did she because she isn't but it certainly gave some that impression....and i wonder how many others. Maybe she should address her wardrobe. I have people living in my street who are Asian and I never look at them and think they are working girls when they are dressed to go out. So what gives?
Hi JB ... thank u for keep mentioning my name on ur post ...

The way I dress actually depend where I go and who I go with and which country I live.

In Jakarta or any part of Indonesia ... I will not dress provocatively (bra strap top and mini skirt) if I go out by public transportation. If I do that means I am looking for trouble and deserve any trouble I get. I can dress a bit open if I go out with family, or any private party and normally we go out by private car.

Yes ... JB is right ... loads of woman for sale in Jakarta (or any other part of Indonesia). They don't have to dress like a tart to show that they are a 'working woman'. Some of them as young as high school student.

In Singapore u can dress as skimpy as u want ... I don't think anybody will bother u. Yes! probably some people/guys will think that u r a working woman or prostitute . But then is not that what u want ??? Dress sexy to attract opposite sex???

In Doha I would dress very normal. No mini skirt and no sleeveless top when I go out. When I go shopping in places like Lulu or Carrefour ... I do see some Asians woman pottering around between the aisle for hours .... her top half barely cover and she don't have any baskets/trolley with her ... not even buying anything I would guess they doing a window shopping ...

And about working woman... me thinks u can find them in any country u go. Don't have to dress as a tart ... they can dress very classy and u won't even think that she is a working woman.

Last edited by Bob; Jan 19th 2005 at 3:50 pm. Reason: OP request
Old Jan 18th 2005, 4:59 am
semarang

Hello All,

Thanks for your posts. This wasn't a case of some horny passer by bothering her. It was the security guard in a prominent hotel tailing her from the door, and asking her in detail why she was there (waiting for Salsa lesson) while all the other guests were completely left alone.

In my mind it was pure and simple racial profiling followed by harassment. There really is no other way to see it.

Anyway, I am in the process of trying to file a formal complaint against the hotel in question.

Thanks,

David
Good luck David !!! It would be better if ur friend knows the security name as well.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:20 am
Long Member

lewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to alllewis748 is a name known to all
Talking Re: All Asian women are not working-girls

Originally Posted by Jellybean

You have to say that a lot of Asians dress in a certain way (no Novita i've seen you in your whooly jumper LOL) that western women could probably not get away with without people thinking them a tart also. I don't think this is the Asian girls problem but the person looking at her...yes me, I have issues end of story.

What would i get for AED 200 and a half a curly wurrley i found in me shorts? Bit pissed to find your not a lesbo... i had such Hi hopes for you...
Old Jan 18th 2005, 7:34 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lewis748
What would i get for AED 200 and a half a curly wurrley i found in me shorts? Bit pissed to find your not a lesbo... i had such Hi hopes for you...
A whole half a curly wurly wow....what I wanna know is who got the other half
Old Jan 18th 2005, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Anya4Dubai will become famous soon enoughAnya4Dubai will become famous soon enough

Hello,

Hi David,

These guys in dark glass heavily tinted cars slowing down are really sick, can you believe they do it even when you're carrying your kid in your arms when you're walking

The areas behind Spinney's on Trade Centre road is notorious :scared: . Never go to Spineys any more

I have heard this also happens to Western expats

Anya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.