Reload this Page >

Alien in Al Ain - football teams? social life? etc

Alien in Al Ain - football teams? social life? etc

Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Chris1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alien in Al Ain - football teams? social life? etc

Hi all,

Myself and my partner moved to the garden city two weeks ago we and we love it. We've settled into the relaxed (apart from the driving) way of life, but were wondering where the local expat hang outs/clubs are?

Also keen to know if there are any football, tennis, netball leagues around?
I used to play football 3-4 times a week in the UK and i'm missing playing.

Anyone got any advice?
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alien in Al Ain - football teams? social life? etc

I go up to Al Ain regularly. Have you joined Hiltonia? the club at the Hilton. Seems like a great place for meeting folk, and also the new Golf Club and Equestrian Centre I have a friend in Al Ain who posts on here, I will get her to post more information for you.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:42 pm
DTP
Just Joined

DTP is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Alien in Al Ain - football teams? social life? etc

Been here the fat part of a year, have found my feet and would have to go with the previous post regarding the Hiltonia and the adjoining seedy bar Pacos.

The increasingly vibrant, in the positive sense, Rugby Club up near Twam Hospital is also a wonderful, growing place to be without the sleaze of the standard Rugger Club in England and you don't have to either play or appreciate rugby to get along there.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I'll look into them all.
Would appreciate any extra info from your friend based in Al Ain too.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris1983
Al Ain is a great place, I would move up there at the drop of a hat! you will enjoy your time there. Paco's is a good laugh.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

shammy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris, We moved here a couple of months ago - we went for the Intercontinental club rather than Hilton, few restaurants, a pub, social squash league, gym, tennis, etc,etc. Great facilities for Kids if you have them - Karate, Soccer, Tennis, Swimming lessons. Also have a look at the "living in Al Ain" thread -loads of info!
Originally Posted by Chris1983
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DTP
Been here the fat part of a year, have found my feet and would have to go with the previous post regarding the Hiltonia and the adjoining seedy bar Pacos.

The increasingly vibrant, in the positive sense, Rugby Club up near Twam Hospital is also a wonderful, growing place to be without the sleaze of the standard Rugger Club in England and you don't have to either play or appreciate rugby to get along there.
Appreciate the info. A few people have mentioned the Hilton and the rugby club so will take a look. Thanks!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shammy
Hi Chris, We moved here a couple of months ago - we went for the Intercontinental club rather than Hilton, few restaurants, a pub, social squash league, gym, tennis, etc,etc. Great facilities for Kids if you have them - Karate, Soccer, Tennis, Swimming lessons. Also have a look at the "living in Al Ain" thread -loads of info!
Will take a look at the "living in Al Ain" thread. The facilities at the Intercontinental sound excellent. Used to play squash (badly) so may look at starting up again and sure It will help improve my drinking arm for the aforementioned pub!

Thanks Shammy
Old Apr 29th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

peterd is an unknown quantity at this point

hey chris, been in aa for 6 mth's now. intercon and the palm resort (al ain rugby club, golf club, riding club) are the way to go with the hilton not far behind. the rugby club is agreat place to kick back for a cold beer + food and the big thing is its non-smoking!