Reload this Page >

Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

missy-tank is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Hello There

I have been made an offer from a multi dis consultancy to work on the on the Yas Island project, Now after nearly a month the agent advises that the project is "now on hold" and he will put me forward for other jobs.

I had negotiations with regards to money and I was told that they had already offered me too much and that due to the number of redundancies they could pick up engineers with middle east experience for far less than they had already offered me.

I feel that they have taken the p*ss and just pulled the offer to save them money.

Anyone else heard of Aldar putting this or parts of this project on hold.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aldar - Parts of Yas ISland on Hold

Originally Posted by missy-tank
Hello There

I have been made an offer from a multi dis consultancy to work on the on the Yas Island project, Now after nearly a month the agent advises that the project is "now on hold" and he will put me forward for other jobs.

I had negotiations with regards to money and I was told that they had already offered me too much and that due to the number of redundancies they could pick up engineers with middle east experience for far less than they had already offered me.

I feel that they have taken the p*ss and just pulled the offer to save them money.

sorry to hear this, sadly you won't be the last, at least you found out before you got here.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Hello There

Yas is not on hold. Havent heard yet of any of its zones being put on hold but I'll be out there next week full time so I'll see whats up.

BTW if you feel comfortable messaging me the company name and which Yas project you were destined for I could try and find out more..
Old Jan 16th 2009, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello There

i haven't heard that yas is on hold, but in the current climate, you surely can't be surprised that they don't want to offer you what they might have done a while ago...not like they need to...

MM, xx
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

missy-tank is an unknown quantity at this point

I am realistic and understand supply/demand, but they simply p*ss people about and blatantly lie. The reason they gave me was that the project was on hold, if it isnt on hold then that is rather under hand.

The money discussion was during the negotiation some three weeks before pulling the job offer.

As mentioned by Blue Cat I am glad it happened now whilst I am still in the uk.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i know people in aldar and they are keeping very quiet, all they are saying is that its affecting every company in the industry. would it be working for a british joint venture? but they are right, all the companies are making redundancies and so they are not recruiting, and they are cutting their losses, they are so many people who have lost their job here and so they will pick them up even for the same amount of money, but the important difference is that they have already uae experience which as you are finding out working out here is so totally different than the uk. its best that you found out before hand tho, because a lot of people have either sold their house shipped their possessions jacked in their job to be told as they are just about getting on the plane that dont bother to come. i would suspect that aldar have put it on hold a touch, but if its working with other companies, then perhaps they have had to hold back, because a lot of the big development companies here are not paying them for work already commissioned and so thats another problem as well. cash flow problems etc.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i haven't heard that yas is on hold, but in the current climate, you surely can't be surprised that they don't want to offer you what they might have done a while ago...not like they need to...

MM, xx
Exactly. I did post a couple of weeks ago that one of my clients blatantly told me that he was reducing all the employees pay and if they didn't like it they could leave as there were plenty of people around the world with no jobs and they would be more than happy to come and work here.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

I am realistic and understand supply/demand, but they simply p*ss people about and blatantly lie. The reason they gave me was that the project was on hold, if it isnt on hold then that is rather under hand.

The money discussion was during the negotiation some three weeks before pulling the job offer.

As mentioned by Blue Cat I am glad it happened now whilst I am still in the uk.
Lies, ha ha welcome to the UAE.

But seriously its better that it happened at this stage and not when you had got out here, lucky escape hey!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was at ALdar on Tuesday and all as normal, they even got bonuses and are recruiting, but they are not the norm, agreed.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
I was at ALdar on Tuesday and all as normal, they even got bonuses and are recruiting, but they are not the norm, agreed.
One of my work colleagues told me that most of her husband's projects are going ahead - he's working with Aldar. There is some change going on, which I guess will become evident as time goes on.

Gulf News had some redundancy figures today. I haven't looked at The National yet.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:45 pm
str
Forum Regular

str is an unknown quantity at this point

Working on YI myself I don't know anything about it!
For sure they will finish all projects that are already in progress - they have to for the F1 race in November. I know that they are doing some value engineering and renegotiating bids for contracts due to be awarded which is normal as commodity prices have slumped.
But I'm pretty sure that the next projects will come as they want to have some cranes in the background for the grand prix to show the world that AD is still steaming ahead. I guess Aldar will follow the masterplan at least for everything what is south of the Shaharma-Saadiyat freeway.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

markhighpeak is an unknown quantity at this point

I work on Yas Island and can confirm that while all the projects are still going ahead, I personally have had my contract changed, and am now in a worse position than before. However, there is not a lot I can do about it, as the current climate is stopping me from going elsewhere.

So onwards and upwards, and at least the weather is better than in the UK

Last edited by markhighpeak; Jan 16th 2009 at 5:11 pm. Reason: Missed some words
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

I didn't know that Aldar had anything on Yas Island? Maybe I'm mistaken as lots of companies are involved down there.

As far as I am aware Aldar was down to do most of Raha beach and much of that is now on hold. I have heard 300 A/LoR lost their jobs last week (reported in National as 200) with more to follow....

For reasons I know not sometimes Yas is referred to as Raha and vice versa
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by girlabouttown
I didn't know that Aldar had anything on Yas Island? Maybe I'm mistaken as lots of companies are involved down there.

As far as I am aware Aldar was down to do most of Raha beach and much of that is now on hold. I have heard 300 A/LoR lost their jobs last week (reported in National as 200) with more to follow....

eh...?? aldar is THE contractor for yas as far as i'm aware...

MM, xx
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by girlabouttown

ALDAR = Developers for Yas and Raha. They are very close to each other in terms of location but other than that have no other connection aside from being developed by the same company.
Raha is not on hold.
ALOR is not ALDAR.
ALOR is the PMC for Raha and will not be awarded any more work hence layoffs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.